You are here

Yamaha CFX Concert Grand ???

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Yamaha CFX Concert Grand ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:56 am

Hi

Regarding the Yamaha CFX, its said the Classic perspective most faithfully captures the natural tonal character, clarity and nuance of the instrument.

Is it correct then to assume the default present of the Classic perspective is what Abbey Road sound engineers consider to be the most natural sound coming from the CFX.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Re: Yamaha CFX Concert Grand ???

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:14 pm

Never mind, thanks anyway.
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular

Music is a universal language that speaks to every person, a euphoria of moods that inspires, convicts and heals 

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:41 pm

DigitalMusicProduction wrote:Is it correct then to assume the default present of the Classic perspective is what Abbey Road sound engineers consider to be the most natural sound coming from the CFX.

I doubt it!

I think we've been around this loop before.... but there is no single 'natural sound' from any piano. The pianist hears a different timbre and tonal balance to a concert audience, and the mics capture something else again, depending on where they are placed and what they are...

All that matters is whether you can find a sound that meets your expectations and requirements for the specific pieces being performed by that specific player in that specific acoustic environment.

And given the veritable forest of mics stacked up around that piano in AR1, there should be plenty of options to pick from...
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby RichardT » Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:29 pm

I remember the first time I was exposed to recording a piano - A good piano in a good space with some very expensive mics, good monitors and an experienced engineer.

Listening to the playback (it wasn’t my own playing) I was shocked how different the experience of listening to the recording was from being in the room listening to the performance.

I took from that experience that all recordings are just an approximation, or at best one version of the truth - and sample libraries are even more of an approximation.

I’m sure the CFX library is ok. The best thing is to choose the sound that best reflects the emotional intent of the music, don’t worry about the ‘naturalness’ of one microphone position versus another.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby DigitalMusicProduction » Tue Jan 19, 2021 5:00 am

I noticed when playing the Classic Perspective default preset on the CFX there is a warm ambient reverb that comes with it, i take it this must be the natural ambient sound environment of AR1 ?
DigitalMusicProduction
Regular