You are here

Korg ModWave

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg ModWave

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 18, 2021 12:57 pm

https://www.korg.com/us/products/synthesizers/modwave/

And another one from Korg for the virtual NAMM. Looks like the other new units, but sounds a little different and that is no bad thing. Wavetables ... nice.

We do indeed live in interesting times!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Re: Korg ModWave

Postby Zukan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:16 pm

No aftertouch?

Even the DW8000 had programmable aftertouch.
Zukan

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:31 pm

Zukan wrote:No aftertouch?

Even the DW8000 had programmable aftertouch.

Korg seem to have forgotten how to do aftertouch in more than one of their latest offerings and it's a trend of which I heartily disapprove! They haven't even got it in the Nautilous, which I think is a terrible decision on their part (they didn't give it the Kronos' vector joystick controller either).

Given all the synthesis engine stuff they're putting out, to strip out modulation sources and performance controls in this manner seems completely backwards to me.

:protest:
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Zukan » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:34 pm

Ridiculous, especially if it's a remodel of the original.
Zukan

Postby desmond » Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:37 pm

Is it that the major keyboard manufacturers (eg Fatar, Yamaha etc) just don't offer many keyboards with aftertouch to manufacturers?

Perhaps demand is so low that they charge a significant premium for aftertouch models, so much that "mid-range" synth manufacturers just can't justify the price increase for that feature?

Maybe this is why Behringer have designed their own complete keyboard assemblies, with aftertouch, so that they can offer that feature at a lower price point to what they'd have to charge using a Fatar part?
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Dave B » Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:08 pm

I am developing a pet theory now.

Given that Korg have effectively replaced the Kronos with the Nautilus - which is almost a 1:1 in terms of functionality - and has launched a series of scaled down units with different (but nicely updated) synthesis types, I wonder if what we are seeing coming out of Korg now are the building blocks for the Kronos's actual replacement - something which has these new engines instead of the older ones in the Kronos. It would also explain why the Op6 suddenly shrank between announcement and launch and why there is no full size WaveState either.

I could see a new super-workstation-y thing with all these available and with proper, pro features - no wall warts, aftertouch, nice keybeds, balanced ins/outs, good screens, etc

If these new units all share a common development platform, it makes a lot of sense..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby The Elf » Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:11 pm

It both baffles and dismays me that we seem to be losing the *basic* performance controls that we should be able to expect without question, let alone embrace the more advanced possibiliies offered by MPE and MIDI 2. It's massively disappointing.

I hope a few of the smaller companies snap up the opportunity and give the big boys the generous kicking they deserve.

No aftertouch... Ridiculous.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.