You are here

Korg wavestate SE

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg wavestate SE

Postby nickle15 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 3:08 pm

Well that's a nice change of pace! 61 keys with aftertouch and aluminum panel and knobs. Very nice!

https://youtu.be/uG-lZ2O5DaQ
nickle15
Regular

Re: Korg wavestate SE

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:13 pm

But does it have an internal power supply?
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:19 pm

^^ Wot 'e said!?!? :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nickle15 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:08 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh right. I forgot about the power supply issue! Well, moving on then... :D
nickle15
Regular

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:13 pm

Please let it have a proper PSU .... it will look so good above a new K2700 if it does.... :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:16 pm

at 0:57 in the video I'm pretty certain that's an external power supply plug (and symbol on the case).
Sorry.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:23 pm

Another easy one to cross off my list! Well done, Korg! :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Jan 20, 2021 6:28 pm

blinddrew wrote:at 0:57 in the video I'm pretty certain that's an external power supply plug (and symbol on the case).
Sorry.

Do you mean the plug high on the left? That looks like a midi plug - you can see the midi labelling.

But, alas, it does like the symbol for the external psu is on it. Hopefully, someone over in Japan will have a moment of sanity and fix that
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jan 20, 2021 8:36 pm

Maybe they'll make it available in a form with no power supply at all :crazy: :wtf: :D
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:30 pm

:lol:

I tried the VR audio system (not Korg) being demo-ed at Synthfest in 2019. I was absolutely flummoxed by most of it, but I managed to create some sounds. Everything I tried to do ended up sounding like dance music, though, which to me was very worrying! :? :oops: :sick:

I spent a happy 20 minutes in there trying to understand what the heck I was doing - it was to no avail.

The programmer told me I'd actually ended up in part of the program that was supposed to be locked out! :mrgreen: :headbang: :bouncy:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Zukan » Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:42 am

Can someone tell me exactly what the cost differential is between an internal 'man-up' ps compared to a 'man-down' wallwart? Surely it's not a bank buster?
Zukan

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:59 am

I posted a comment on the youtube vid. Someone has come back with 'what's wrong with an external psu?'. Do I go into it all, or just let it go...?

(sigh)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby ajay_m » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:01 pm

I've never understood the concern over external PSUs. Just buy a spare if you're gigging a lot and be done with it. External PSUs are often fairly generic and hence cheap to buy a spare for anyway. If you're completely paranoid about putting the PSU on the floor and tripping over it then velcro the damn thing to one leg of the x stand and run a power lead to the base FFS. And yes, the plugs are a bit more fragile than an IEC connector. But so are all the knobs and keys on the keyboard so entirely why this is a big deal I don't know unless you're like the violinist in the Monty Python sketch.
ajay_m
Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:58 pm

Zukan wrote:Can someone tell me exactly what the cost differential is between an internal 'man-up' ps compared to a 'man-down' wallwart? Surely it's not a bank buster?
It's not about the cost differential of the unit, it's about whether your construction has to happen on a 'high voltage' assembly line or not. Basically it's about how you can set up your factory or manage the throughput on your different assembly lines.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:40 pm

ajay_m wrote:I've never understood the concern over external PSUs. Just buy a spare if you're gigging a lot and be done with it. External PSUs are often fairly generic and hence cheap to buy a spare for anyway.
No they aren't. Try finding a (new) MiniMoog PSU 30 minutes before a gig. I've seen it happen. And take a look at the price for a spare. My 1970s MiniMoog has an internal PSU - no probem - ever.

There is *NO* excuse for an external PSU on pro gear. It's not helpful and it suggests the accountants are in charge.

ajay_m wrote:If you're completely paranoid about putting the PSU on the floor and tripping over it then velcro the damn thing to one leg of the x stand and run a power lead to the base FFS.
Try doing that with the PSU for a Zoom LiveTrack mixer. The cable is about two feet long. Pitiful...

Put a PSU inside the case, add an IEC socket and let *ME* choose the type and length of cable *I* want for *MY* needs.

There is no way I'm carrying a case of every polarity, Voltage and connector type as spares for my gear. A few spare IEC cables on the other hand - simple.

I make no excuse for banging on about this. Until we make a stand the manufacturers will save the pennies and laugh at us.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next