You are here

Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Jan 22, 2021 10:42 am

I’m looking at two sequencers, the Pittsburgh Lifeforms, and the Behringer System 100 182 Sequencer.
As usual, I’m trying to do this on the cheap, the Lifeforms does all I need, most importantly, on-board random sequencing, but it’s expensive.
The Behringer is an 8 or 16 step, cool, but it has no random function.
I can’t think of how you would trigger this to randomly step through a sequence, as it has no pitch CV input, it has a gate input, but that’s no good.

:think:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:08 pm

Don’t overlook the Korg SQ-1, it’s incredibly powerful, incredibly versatile, incredibly affordable, can run on battery power and has a compact form factor.

https://www.korg.com/us/products/dj/sq_1/

I still use my SQ-1 even though I have the NerdSeq, it’s very immediate.

People really need to get over their compulsion with Behringer, their ethics are totally lacking. I will not buy a directly branded Behringer product again.

I have a PBH sequencer, it’s very nice but I have minor quibbles on the accuracy of its tracking.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:57 pm

I have a Squarp Hermod module in my rig which has a good randomiser function.

I suspect the downside for you Tony would be that it's not as 'hands on knobby' as a lot of sequencer modules, may be overkill and there is a bit of a learning curve. However, it is an excellent device and has massive flexibility. I particularly like the ability to chain up to 8 note/event effects per track (it's an 8-track sequencer).

Despite the lack of knobbiness it is a hands-on device but you do need to get to know it.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works
The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:03 pm

Hermod is great, probably 2-4x what he wants to pay, though.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby John Stafford » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:02 pm

The Doepfer A-154 and A-155 look like an interesting combination. They're eurorack though. I'd have to get a case that fits them exactly so I wouldn't be tempted to buy anything else once they arrive.
John Stafford
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:07 pm

There's a stand alone sequencer from Doepfer. I think it's called the Dark Time?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:26 am

Thanks all, well, I’m going to have to get a bigger case, for this sequencer.
If I go stand-alone, it saves me the cost of a bigger case, the little Korg sequencer is the cheapest way out of this, but the Dark Time is cool.
Ultimately I’m trying to cut down on lots of boxes cluttering up the bench, so an integrated solution would be better I suppose.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:39 pm

If you're going to go with a Eurorack solution there are so many to choose from. I would personally save up and get a full-featured sequencer (Hermod, NerdSeq, Eloquencer, Rene); simple sequencers run out of functionality quick and the USD/GBP:hp ratio is not a great bargain, or even a good one, in my opinion.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Jan 23, 2021 1:59 pm

This thread has inspired me to pull out the SQ-1 and have a play! :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:43 am

Ben Asaro wrote:If you're going to go with a Eurorack solution there are so many to choose from. I would personally save up and get a full-featured sequencer (Hermod, NerdSeq, Eloquencer, Rene); simple sequencers run out of functionality quick and the USD/GBP:hp ratio is not a great bargain, or even a good one, in my opinion.

Thanks Ben, I had a Rene in my first system, it literally drove me mad, I found it totally impenetrable, head damaging, I sold it almost immediately.
I’m looking for a traditional style sequencer, with knobs, but, that can also be capable of being programmed from a keyboard in real-time, plus a few random functions.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sun Jan 24, 2021 2:56 pm

I know you said you want to keep it inside the skiff, but have you thought about using a BeatStep Pro? Or even a KeyStep of some kind? Then instead of adding a keyboard to the setup you're just folding the sequencer functions into something you're already going to be using.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:19 am

Ben Asaro wrote:I know you said you want to keep it inside the skiff, but have you thought about using a BeatStep Pro? Or even a KeyStep of some kind? Then instead of adding a keyboard to the setup you're just folding the sequencer functions into something you're already going to be using.

Ben that’s a brilliant idea, problem solved, the cheque is in the post :D
The KeyStep will fit into my portable rig nicely too, for when we can "be normal again"
I did think of a KeyStep for something else, but the modular didn’t come into my mind at the time.

:thumbup:

I’m coming to New York as soon as this thing is over, spending about a month there, my partner and I, we must meet up, America in general is on my bucket list, and I hope to see it before I’m asked to join that big studio in the sky.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:32 am

One heads-up about the Keystep – you have to hook it up to a computer to change certain settings. The two that annoy me most are S-trig/V-trig settings on the gate output, and analogue clock division settings. If you want to switch your analogue clock from, say, 16ths to 24ppqn you have to USB it up and faff with the app. It's fine if you just want to set and forget, but this kind of thing is my biggest gripe about all these Arturia controllers. Otherwise the Keystep is handy, and dead easy to pull out in a pinch for some spontaneous arpeggiator action etc.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:37 am

nathanscribe wrote:One heads-up about the Keystep – you have to hook it up to a computer to change certain settings. The two that annoy me most are S-trig/V-trig settings on the gate output, and analogue clock division settings. If you want to switch your analogue clock from, say, 16ths to 24ppqn you have to USB it up and faff with the app. It's fine if you just want to set and forget, but this kind of thing is my biggest gripe about all these Arturia controllers. Otherwise the Keystep is handy, and dead easy to pull out in a pinch for some spontaneous arpeggiator action etc.

Thanks, I’m just going to be using this with my Eurorack, I don’t think the trigger thing should be an issue.
I’ll be using it for arpeggiating and basic sequencing.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:04 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’ll be using it for arpeggiating and basic sequencing.
That being the case I'd offer up the Synthstrom Deluge for your consideration. I've found it to be excellent for getting basic sequences going. It's very visual. It can do far, far more, of course, but I've not much interest in that direction.

It has USB, MIDI and CV/gate outputs, so it will fit into pretty much any system.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Next