You are here

Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Sequencer suggestions for my modular.

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:39 pm

Arpangel wrote:I’m coming to New York as soon as this thing is over, spending about a month there, my partner and I, we must meet up, America in general is on my bucket list, and I hope to see it before I’m asked to join that big studio in the sky.
Awesome, I should still be here. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Jan 25, 2021 1:41 pm

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ll be using it for arpeggiating and basic sequencing.
That being the case I'd offer up the Synthstrom Deluge for your consideration. I've found it to be excellent for getting basic sequences going. It's very visual. It can do far, far more, of course, but I've not much interest in that direction.

It has USB, MIDI and CV/gate outputs, so it will fit into pretty much any system.

Ouch, that’s expensive, and complicated looking :crazy:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:23 pm

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’ll be using it for arpeggiating and basic sequencing.
That being the case I'd offer up the Synthstrom Deluge for your consideration. I've found it to be excellent for getting basic sequences going. It's very visual. It can do far, far more, of course, but I've not much interest in that direction.

It has USB, MIDI and CV/gate outputs, so it will fit into pretty much any system.
Ouch, that’s expensive, and complicated looking :crazy:
Yep, it ain't cheap, that's for sure.

I do agree that it looks very complex, and the oodles of special key-presses required to make full use of it's deeper features (synth, sampler, audio recorder, looper...) is not a task for which I've any appetite, but the basic functions are pretty simple. For me that's enough.

What it's trying to do is be the heart of your system. In this respect it is very powerful and very clever, but I don't use it like that. Being able to quickly rattle off note and control sequences is exemplary, though - much simpler than most rack sequencers I've seen.

It has proved invaluable for some Teutonic 70s/80s material I've been called on to recreate.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jan 25, 2021 2:55 pm

The Deluge looks absolutely amazing, and it's on my short list should I go with a desktop One Sequencer To Rule The All solution. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:46 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:The Deluge looks absolutely amazing, and it's on my short list should I go with a desktop One Sequencer To Rule The All solution. :)
I doubt you'll be disappointed, but it does take some patience to learn the button combinations. As soon as I crib one I instantly forget it! I always find a 'Shift' button dismaying and some of the combinations are far from obvious.

It is USB-powered, yet also charges an internal battery, which lasts a very long time. Even the scratchy built-in speaker and microphone are useful from time to time.

But a very capable and powerful device it is indeed. I'm almost embarrassed that my use of it is so basic. As a tester I programmed one of my favourite 80s songs into it - I may publish that at some time, just to show what it can do...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:52 am

Ben Asaro wrote:
Arpangel wrote:I’m coming to New York as soon as this thing is over, spending about a month there, my partner and I, we must meet up, America in general is on my bucket list, and I hope to see it before I’m asked to join that big studio in the sky.
Awesome, I should still be here. :)

I’m looking forward to it Ben, it will happen, if I’m still here! :shocked:
I’m incapable of flying, got a real phobia about it, so we’re coming by ship, people tell me seeing New York for the first time is incredible when you sail in.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:42 pm

It looks impressive from the air or sea, it’s pretty packed here! I’m a native NY’er, born and bred in Brooklyn...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:58 am

Ben Asaro wrote:It looks impressive from the air or sea, it’s pretty packed here! I’m a native NY’er, born and bred in Brooklyn...

Nothing to say really, I just have to see it, it’s always been one of the most fascinating city’s for me.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:30 pm

FWIW (For Ben)...

Deluge is about to be blessed with wavetable abilities: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51zc0ujrFqE
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:54 am

I just bought the Lifeforms after much thought, I need it to be in the rack, too many boxes already kicking around.
It does what I want it to do, and at a lower price than any of the competition, got it for £160.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:43 pm

Nice, enjoy!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 02, 2021 7:36 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:Nice, enjoy!

Thanks Ben, I’ve also just sold my 3U Rack Brute, I’m getting a Doepfer LC6, been planning the new rack.

https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/1015413

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:06 am

I was surfing for videos on my sequencer, and came across this, check-out this persons videos, they are excellent, she explains things really well, no waffle, and mentions everything you need to know in an easy to understand way, and includes clear patching instruction, great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPbQyLFO6hw&feature=emb_logo
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Jade’s videos are good.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Feb 04, 2021 2:40 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:Jade’s videos are good.

Yes, she’s no nonsense, without being cold or nerdy, and demonstrates things really well.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext