You are here

Erica Synth Synthx dilemma

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Erica Synth Synthx dilemma

Postby blinddrew » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:02 pm

I'm going to join the chorus saying 'send it back' then. That's too much to pay for regret.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby RichardT » Tue Jan 26, 2021 11:21 pm

If you have 10 days, spend a couple really digging into it, and if it still doesn’t grab you, send it back.
RichardT
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:37 am

Marbury wrote:I am playing around with it today and trying to get some interesting sounds and texture. I did purchase this purely on the basis of it giving me a lifetime slow burn of of discovery but I just can't make my mind up if it will fulfill that need, especially at the price. I get that it is like owning a modular system (can't afford the Moog Model 15) without the patch leads but as it is so hard to get used to (for me at least) in such a short window before I can send it back. I just can't decide. I suppose it will become a sought after classic when production stops so I won't have any problem selling it on but I just don't know.

Sounds like you’re not focusing on what you want a synth for? and how it would address your needs but I may be wrong?
However, one minute you’re talking about EMS style synths, next your talking about Moog’s, then a Pulsar 23, all completely different things, apples oranges and pineapples.
Things like the VCS3 and Moog modular, are in reality very simple devices, but they rely on the imagination of the user, a lot, your mind is the bottomless pit of new sounds and ideas, not those synths.
The Pulsar is completely different, it’s a crazy drum machine, and yes, the potential for endless random experimentation is there, the machine suggests loads of ideas which fits what you said a bit more, but even so, it’s a niche thing, that IMO would complement other things, but not be a major focus.
But if you are looking for a synth that truly can compare to the creative variety and ideas that the human brain can come up with, and will always have areas that you haven’t explored, you’re looking in the wrong places, look here........
We are talking old school, Yamaha SY/TG77, FS1R, or a hybrid modular system, comprising analogue and digital modules that you can tailor to your needs.
All of these are cheaper by a mile than those things you’ve considered so far, and could probably be exactly what you’re looking for. They don’t have the knobs or the glamour of a VCS3, but they do have bottomless potential, and will definitely, last you a lifetime and not get fully explored.
The Pulsar 23 is good though, I’m thinking about one, not as a main synth, but as an experimental drum machine, it’s amazing, love all that random stuff, and there’s nothing on the market that competes with it really.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:56 pm

I like noise, drones, glitchy experimental stuff. Think also Tangerine Dream's Atem, Zeit, or Phaedra, etc. In fact, I really like the idea of building up layers of field recordings and samples and weaving the electronics with them (feel free to listen to what I do here)

https://marbury1.bandcamp.com/track/sor ... -parts-1-2
https://marbury1.bandcamp.com/track/psychogeographic

The Pulsar is great for not just percussive rhythms but also drones and other serendipitous stuff. I just thought the Syntrx would work along the same lines but it seems a bit limited to one type of coloured sound of either squelchy pops or fat saw waves.

Perhaps some kind of clever sampling device that can manipulate sounds like a PPG. I have many ipad apps that do great things but I just find the ipad fiddly to use. Perhaps I should get back into using it or get a pro model with a bigger screen. I just end up with a folly of gear that isn't really joined up.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:04 pm

Sounds like one of the 2600 clones would suit you down to the ground.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Marbury » Wed Jan 27, 2021 4:27 pm

Its going back but the cheeky beggers have asked me to send it inside another box in mint condition. They sent it to me with no outer box, just a bit of bubblewrap which made a small dent in the synth box. Also, postage is going to cost me around £70 as it's £49 to cover items at £2500. What a nightmare!
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:31 pm

Marbury wrote:Also, postage is going to cost me around £70 as it's £49 to cover items at £2500.

Make sure it is actually covered if you're spending that much. Some companies don't insure instruments. You'll just have to regard it as £70 worth of entertainment. :thumbup:
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:47 pm

And DON'T USE HERMES!!!!!! They will let you pay the insurance, but when it gets stolen while in their custody they won't pay out because it's 'musical equipment'! I speak from bitter experience! :beamup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:35 am

Its debatable weather it's a musical instrument as it's really an electronic device. It makes me wonder what type of postage insurance the company that sent it to me have paid as it was free postage using parcel force 24. I wouldn't touch Hermes with anything like this. They tried to sting me for under paid postage on a very small item stating it was 10 kg over the weight. It was a small ceramic mug. Apparently they try this on from time to time. They retracted it after I pointed out the ridiculousness of their claim. Looks like I am stuck with it then unless I can get a private sale as pick up only. Facebook marketplace is very good for that.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:48 am

Marbury wrote:I like noise, drones, glitchy experimental stuff. Think also Tangerine Dream's Atem, Zeit, or Phaedra, etc. In fact, I really like the idea of building up layers of field recordings and samples and weaving the electronics with them (feel free to listen to what I do here)

The Pulsar is great for not just percussive rhythms but also drones and other serendipitous stuff. I just thought the Syntrx would work along the same lines but it seems a bit limited to one type of coloured sound of either squelchy pops or fat saw waves.

Perhaps some kind of clever sampling device that can manipulate sounds like a PPG. I have many ipad apps that do great things but I just find the ipad fiddly to use. Perhaps I should get back into using it or get a pro model with a bigger screen. I just end up with a folly of gear that isn't really joined up.

Like your music a lot.
I too like the idea of mixing everything up, unrelated things sometimes, samples, nature sounds, electronics.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:58 am

Marbury wrote:Its debatable weather it's a musical instrument as it's really an electronic device.
Try debating it with Hermes and see how far you get! :frown:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Marbury » Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:18 pm

Arpangel wrote:
Marbury wrote:I like noise, drones, glitchy experimental stuff. Think also Tangerine Dream's Atem, Zeit, or Phaedra, etc. In fact, I really like the idea of building up layers of field recordings and samples and weaving the electronics with them (feel free to listen to what I do here)

Like your music a lot.
I too like the idea of mixing everything up, unrelated things sometimes, samples, nature sounds, electronics.

Cheers. Always nice to have encouraging feedback.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby Marbury » Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:50 pm

Well the company graciously paid postage for me to return it (in mint condition) so once I get my refund I will give a sigh of relief and assess my options.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:09 pm

:thumbup: Sounds like a good call.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby N i g e l » Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:34 pm

That was nice :thumbup:

Shifting music gear round the country by post is difficult.

dont even think Hermes* unless its spares or repair.
*The god of extreme power, no empathy and small vehicles.

Parcel farce have an at risk policy on music/hifi/guitars/PC gear/most things
but at least the odds are reasonable.

GAK use DPD, so ive used their next day service with +ve results, at risk.

UPS allow additional insurance for a fee & they are quite good.

Couriers use a werid LxWxH + weight price algorythm so...

88key weighted keyboards can be a problem
long items ~1m, can be a problem

post at the beginning of the week to avoid the weekend parcel-ball league.

Prevention packaging is every thing.

Is there a sticky on this somewhere ? possibly in the top10 of tech musicians problems
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext