You are here

Arturia PolyBrute

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Arturia PolyBrute

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:36 pm

Marbury wrote:I think any good vst, ie Omnisphere can cover any of those sounds. To me it doesn't sound that special.

I think that rather misses the point. VSTs can of course cover most, if not all, sounds that a hardware synth can although I can say hand on heart that I've got a large collection of VSTs, Omnisphere included, and I've not found anything in software that I'd use over the MatrixBrute for mono duties.

As I said before, the PolyBrute is as much the manner in which the feaures it offers are assembled and presented as it is about the sound (and in the case of the 'Brutes I think the sound is fantastic).

As a player's instrument it's going to be tough to match, and however good a VST is you still need something to control it. The PolyBrute provides that. The modulation capabilities are endless and, more to the point, can be manipulated and assigned in realtime as part of a performance with little practice.

Anyone who has a MatrixBrute will understand what I mean - it's not something that you can do in software without a corresponding hardware control surface that lets you get that deep that easily!

For live performances/improvs/jams it's going to be epic, especially in conjunction with other devices and whereas I'll happily use VSTs in a DAW session, for me there is nothing that comes close to good hardware synths for live/composing work and I don't like using a DAW when I'm in that mode; that comes later for recording once I've got the performances worked out.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Marbury » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 am

Fair point. I am the wrong person to ask as I am not a live performance player of any kind, although I do improvise.
Marbury
Frequent Poster

Postby tea for two » Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:53 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:

The touch & pressure sensitive pad to the left and the ribbon controller over the keyboard put a ton of expressive capability within easy reach. I've seen a few youtube videos where folks are using these two controllers as much as they are the keys, and they work beautifully.

The ability to morph seamlessly between two different patches polyphonically on an analogue synth has huge potential, especially for live use. This morphing can also be modulated, which is brilliant.

I think there is space for a simpler performance oriented synth :
hybrid of Roland SH-1000 with its coloured tabs of handful presets
existing alongside expressive controls as
Ondes Martenot ring wire, Polybrutes Morphee wooden expression touch pad, Haken ContinuuMini :
all in one instrument.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby tea for two » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:33 am

tea for two wrote:
Ondes Martenot ring wire, Polybrutes Morphee wooden expression touch pad, Haken ContinuuMini :
all in one instrument.

Therevox ET-5 nearest thus far
https://therevox.com/et-5/
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Postby Agharta » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:11 am

tea for two wrote:
tea for two wrote:
all in one instrument.

Therevox ET-5 nearest thus far

I love to see people making such off beat instruments.
Not as expensive as I imagined either.
(Hides credit cards).
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Postby OneWorld » Fri Mar 05, 2021 2:39 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
Marbury wrote:I think any good vst, ie Omnisphere can cover any of those sounds. To me it doesn't sound that special.

I think that rather misses the point. VSTs can of course cover most, if not all, sounds that a hardware synth can although I can say hand on heart that I've got a large collection of VSTs, Omnisphere included, and I've not found anything in software that I'd use over the MatrixBrute for mono duties.

As I said before, the PolyBrute is as much the manner in which the feaures it offers are assembled and presented as it is about the sound (and in the case of the 'Brutes I think the sound is fantastic).

As a player's instrument it's going to be tough to match, and however good a VST is you still need something to control it. The PolyBrute provides that. The modulation capabilities are endless and, more to the point, can be manipulated and assigned in realtime as part of a performance with little practice.

Anyone who has a MatrixBrute will understand what I mean - it's not something that you can do in software without a corresponding hardware control surface that lets you get that deep that easily!

For live performances/improvs/jams it's going to be epic, especially in conjunction with other devices and whereas I'll happily use VSTs in a DAW session, for me there is nothing that comes close to good hardware synths for live/composing work and I don't like using a DAW when I'm in that mode; that comes later for recording once I've got the performances worked out.

I am inclined to agree. VSTis have a lot going for them, very convincing sounds, the convenience of the patches being saved as part of a project. But hardware does that anyway, and it is the immediacy of hardware, you can reach out and it (the knob/slider etc) is there. And I don't know whether it is imaged, but the sound just seems more punchy
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:03 am

OneWorld wrote:And I don't know whether it is imaged, but the sound just seems more punchy

You’re absolutely right, of course it’s more punchy, why?
Because the whole package in integrated in a hardware synth, you’re not using some generic mother keyboard, connected by USB to a computer DAW with latency etc, that feels very disconnected and it’s reflected in how the instrument responds.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:47 am

Comparing hardware and VSTis is utterly pointless. It's like comparing running shoes and wellingtons. Use both for what they can do for you.

And rejoice in having the choice.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Rich Hanson » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:05 am

The Elf wrote:Comparing hardware and VSTis is utterly pointless. It's like comparing running shoes and wellingtons. Use both for what they can do for you.

And rejoice in having the choice.

+1,000,000
Rich Hanson
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am

I can’t count the number of VSTi's I’ve got, do I ever use them? No.
They used to be all I used, but since accumulating hardware I forgot how immediate and tactile they are, like my piano, but with knobs.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:24 am

Agharta wrote:
tea for two wrote:Therevox ET-5 nearest thus far

(Hides credit cards).

It's looking really interesting, isn't it?. A real performance instrument that's affordable... hmmm.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby BJG145 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:34 am

Agharta wrote:Not as expensive as I imagined either.

Note that $400 is just the deposit. It doesn't sound like they've fixed the price yet. Looks lovely, but it ain't going to be cheap!
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:35 am

Agharta wrote:Therevox ET-5 nearest thus far
I hope that one comes to fruition. The only price I see mentioned is the deposit? I think I'd want a reasonable estimate of the total cost before I committed those kinds of funds!

In the meantime I'm still experiencing Pavlovian reactions while awaiting the Osmose...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Agharta » Fri Mar 05, 2021 12:02 pm

BJG145 wrote:
Agharta wrote:Not as expensive as I imagined either.

Note that $400 is just the deposit. It doesn't sound like they've fixed the price yet. Looks lovely, but it ain't going to be cheap!

I am going on the price of the ET-4 as don't know what the ET-5 will cost.
It could cost substantially more, but the ET-4 is still cheap in my eyes for a hand made very low volume instrument.
The UK price wouldn't be so appealing no doubt.
Agharta
Jedi Poster

Previous