You are here

No Sound From Kurzweil K2500RS After SCSI2SD Install

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

No Sound From Kurzweil K2500RS After SCSI2SD Install

Postby gdogpwns » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Last night I installed a SCSI2SD adapter in my K2500RS, and now that it has booted, I am not getting any sound from any of the outputs, including digital (considering I'm doing it right).

I ran a hard reset on the unit and afterwards noticed my OS was on V 1.0, so I upgraded it and the ROM Objects to their newest versions this morning, remembering that it wasn't a KDFX unit and installing the proper files.

Now I cannot hear any sound. When I plug headphones in and crank the volume knob, I can still hear very quiet white noise from the amplifier, but no notes come through. I tried plugging the optical out into my receiver and heard nothing there either.

My cat stuck her paws inside the box while I was working on it (my fault) and I thought maybe she shocked the DAC because I could hear the hiss from the K2500's amplifier, but that wouldn't be the issue if I get no sound through optical out.

EDIT: Sine Wave test makes sound! But nothing inside the OS does.

Was there a step I missed when resetting the Kurzweil possibly? I have tried playing sounds in via MIDI and with the keypad while holding Cancel, both produce nothing.
gdogpwns
New here

Re: No Sound From Kurzweil K2500RS After SCSI2SD Install

Postby BJG145 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:35 pm

Are you seeing input in the MIDI monitor? Got the right channel and stuff?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby gdogpwns » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:52 pm

BJG145 wrote:Are you seeing input in the MIDI monitor? Got the right channel and stuff?

I am! Looks like everything is on the right channel too.
gdogpwns
New here

Postby BJG145 » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:03 pm

I'm just flipping through this similar topic from a couple of years ago. A couple of regulars like The Elf have similar units so might be able to make more intelligent suggestions. I was interested in the comments about:

"I did a hard reboot and nothing happened......just this morning I decided to take one last crack at it. I turned it on and maybe, just maybe I expected the reboot to take effect immediately after I did it. What I think happened is that I didn't turn off the keyboard and then turn it back on (like a restart on a computer, duh) Anyway, when it was turned on it went through an entire reloading of effects and other stuff that it never did before and now it works!"

Did it show this kind of activity when you reset it?
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby gdogpwns » Wed Feb 10, 2021 9:17 pm

BJG145 wrote:I'm just flipping through this similar topic from a couple of years ago. A couple of regulars like The Elf have similar units so might be able to make more intelligent suggestions. I was interested in the comments about:

"I did a hard reboot and nothing happened......just this morning I decided to take one last crack at it. I turned it on and maybe, just maybe I expected the reboot to take effect immediately after I did it. What I think happened is that I didn't turn off the keyboard and then turn it back on (like a restart on a computer, duh) Anyway, when it was turned on it went through an entire reloading of effects and other stuff that it never did before and now it works!"

Did it show this kind of activity when you reset it?

Just gave that a go and it didn’t work sadly.
gdogpwns
New here

Postby jacobvosmaer » Wed Feb 10, 2021 10:59 pm

Is the volume turned up?

Have you tried different outputs, including the headphone out?

Are all the cables on the inside seated correctly?

An unplugged board-to-board connector is a possibility after one has had the cover off and worked on the inside.

The K2000R has a function where if you hold Cancel and then press a number it will play a note. A very basic sort of keyboard. This could rule out MIDI issues. Maybe the K2600R can do this too?

I had some "no sound" issues with my K2000R recently after recabling my rack and one of the issues was that I was testing by tapping the keyboard whilst the selected patch was a slow string sound. The slow attack made me not hear the sound. So, switch to patch 001 (which I'm expecting to be a piano).

My experience with these things is that it often something "simple", and it's easy to get carried away explaining the problem with something "hard".
jacobvosmaer

Postby gdogpwns » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:48 pm

jacobvosmaer wrote:Is the volume turned up?

Have you tried different outputs, including the headphone out?

Are all the cables on the inside seated correctly?

An unplugged board-to-board connector is a possibility after one has had the cover off and worked on the inside.

The K2000R has a function where if you hold Cancel and then press a number it will play a note. A very basic sort of keyboard. This could rule out MIDI issues. Maybe the K2600R can do this too?

I had some "no sound" issues with my K2000R recently after recabling my rack and one of the issues was that I was testing by tapping the keyboard whilst the selected patch was a slow string sound. The slow attack made me not hear the sound. So, switch to patch 001 (which I'm expecting to be a piano).

My experience with these things is that it often something "simple", and it's easy to get carried away explaining the problem with something "hard".

"Simple" is right. I just figured out what the issue was. drumroll I unplugged the Audio I/O cable. Completely removed it from the unit. I meant to grab the FDD cable but got the wrong one instead. Works like a charm now. Absolutely embarrassing.
gdogpwns
New here

Postby blinddrew » Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:51 pm

We've all been there at some point in our history! :oops:
Glad you got it sorted. :thumbup:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby tek_ukLondon » Mon May 17, 2021 2:40 pm

Hi,

I just got a K2500 and am thinking of also adding an SCSI2SD drive.
Did you put it in place of the floppy or elsewhere in the unit.
How difficult was it to fit and where did you get it from?

Thanks
tek_ukLondon
New here