You are here

Moog Subharmonicon Sub Osc range.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Moog Subharmonicon Sub Osc range.

Postby John Stafford » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:06 am

Hi all,

I was wondering if it's normal for the sub oscillators on the Subharmonicon to freak out when the main frequency is very high, e.g. with the freq and sequencer knobs turned all the way up. I just get noise. It's the same with both oscillators, so I assume it's not a fault, but it still feel odd.

It's possible to drive the oscillators way above "normal" range, so I suppose the subs are trying to divide down from noise past a certain point.

Thanks.
John Stafford
Regular

Re: Moog Subharmonicon Sub Osc range.

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:22 pm

I'll try it on mine; I've never tried using the SubH as a dog whistle! :D

Edit: what range are you using? 1 octave, 2, or 5?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:09 am

I've done a quick limited test on mine (I'm unable to change a few knobs as I've got something on the go which depends on them being where they are). I stuck it into 5 octave mode, cranked the frequency of a main oscillator up to the max and twiddled one of the sub-oscillators associated with it.

Nothing went crazy for me ... maybe it would be useful to share a photo of your SH where it's exhibiting this behaviour and so we can reproduce those settings and report back.
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby John Stafford » Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:20 am

Thank you both. I appreciate it.

The image above shows a problem patch.

I'm now certain this is a flaw. When everything is turned down except one sub oscillator, changing the other oscillator's controls changes the noise e.g. having nothing audible but Osc 1 Sub 1, changing sequence 2 or Osc 2 Freq changes the noise.
John Stafford
Regular

Postby John Stafford » Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:48 am

PS I've been spending a bit of time investigating this, and at times it sounds like digital interference. Sweeping the oscillators and the sequencer knobs (while listening to the subs) makes it sound strange all too easily. I think this would be a well known "feature" if it were normal.

The upside is that it can also sound a lot like a Synthi. :D Some of the noises I'm getting are great!
John Stafford
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:17 pm

LOL unfortunately it does sound like a defect. How old is your unit? With the 1 octave range and VCO in the center, the highest note in the sequencer should only be an octave above and I've not heard any strange artifacts using it that way. The only issue I've noticed is that when the VCO is turned WAY up, the tracking gets unreliable at the top end of the sequencer range but granted that's pushing it to the limits.

Maybe you are picking up noise from a nearby hard drive? Perhaps try a different power circuit or location?

That's a real bummer and the first time I've heard of an issue with the SubH.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby John Stafford » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:30 pm

Thank you Ben. I appreciate that. I'll send it back for a replacement (Thomann).

It's a new machine. The noise changes in a reproducible way (depending on the sequencer knobs) so I wonder if it's the digital circuitry. It's an amazing machine though, so I don't want a refund. :D

Thanks again,
John
John Stafford
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:11 pm

Not a problem, I hope you get it sorted!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby John Stafford » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:26 pm

I got my new Subharmonicon today.

The unintended weird behaviour is gone, but there's still plenty of weirdness left over (given that it's a Subharmonicon). :bouncy:
John Stafford
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:31 pm

HA!

At least it's intended weirdness!

Enjoy the journey, the SubH is a wonderful, confounding, and inspiring instrument.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster