You are here

Should I ditch the Roland FA08?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Should I ditch the Roland FA08?

Postby eggsy65 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:09 pm

Hi all - been reading this Forum for years so I know there are some knowledgeable and experienced folk out there who might be able to help. I play in Rock/Prog band and am looking to rejig my live set up for when we can all go out and play again. Currently use Roland FA08 as main board but not really satisfied with it - organs not great so still lug my old XK1 around (and sometimes my Little Phatty for Moogy sounds) - but here’s the thing . . I’m not getting any younger and am looking for the best single board that gives me everything I want. Currently got my eye on a Kronos 73 as the best compromise (though it does appear to weigh a ton) - any thoughts or advice? Should I ditch the Roland?? Does the magic single board for live gigs exist?
eggsy65
New here

Re: Should I ditch the Roland FA08?

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:31 pm

The Kronos is a very capable machine, but it is heavy and bulky. I also found it incredibly complex and intensely annoying. Just trying to save a sound is an exercise in frustration. After a couple of years of wanting to throw the thing through a high window I finally got rid of mine and never looked back.

I'd take a Kurzweil workstation in preference every time.

But...

Have you considered going for an ultra-light controller keyboard and a laptop/NUC? These days I can literally walk into a gig holding everything I need under one arm and not even break sweat. I have all the Hammonds, Moogs and Mellotrons I could ever need.

(For full disclosure I'm also a progger...).
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Should I ditch the Roland FA08?

Postby eggsy65 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

The Elf wrote:The Kronos is a very capable machine, but it is heavy and bulky. I also found it incredibly complex and intensely annoying. Just trying to save a sound is an exercise in frustration. After a couple of years of wanting to throw the thing through a high window I finally got rid of mine and never looked back.

I'd take a Kurzweil workstation in preference every time.

But...

Have you considered going for an ultra-light controller keyboard and a laptop/NUC? These days I can literally walk into a gig holding everything I need under one arm and not even break sweat. I have all the Hammonds, Moogs and Mellotrons I could ever need.

(For full disclosure I'm also a progger...).

Thanks Elf - I must admit I have noticed your liking of all things Kurtz and I am not discounting the possibility (although VAST looks daunting . . . ) Which Kurtz would be the question and have to say the new one (PC4?) looks a bit ugly - but if it does the job . .

Re using a laptop n Controller I would need a piano action rather than lightweight action but yes it is something that has crossed my mind - in that case it would be a hunt for the best 88 key controller - my old MAudio Keyststion Pro 88 is still in the garage but I doubt I could even lift the thing nowadays!

Really appreciate your thoughts and the fact that you haven’t said “by all means keep the Roland its great” is useful - cheers.
eggsy65
New here