You are here

Korg MS10

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Korg MS10

Postby BigRedX » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:58 pm

Having owned a lot of the original MS series of synths, personally I wouldn't have either an MS10 or MS20 unless I was intending it to be part of larger modular set up. All those jack sockets promise lots but deliver very little that can't be done on other synths with much more friendly switches. However once you start interconnecting it with other equipment, they become a lot more useful.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby baward » Fri Mar 05, 2021 6:58 pm

The MS-10 actually came in 2 flavours, the later revision has a momentary switch, like on the MS-20, and a slider switch to select the modulation source from the MG. Very handy, they seem to be, more common in the USA and Japan.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pyhvpgmsw20rs ... e.jpg?dl=0
baward
Regular

Postby N i g e l » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:14 pm

BigRedX wrote:All those jack sockets promise lots but deliver very little that can't be done on other synths with much more friendly switches.

I definitely agree with that.

My prefered MS is the modern desktop:

Both filters
PWM
SYNC
FM
the row of blanked holes for modding
Components not nearing the end of the reliability curve

I watched a comparison video of MS v K1 in terms of the audio processing/tracking. The K1 was more accurate but that may be a bad thing if your after crazzzzziness :crazy:
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:59 pm

N i g e l wrote:The early filter is "lower quality", noiser but it is aggressive and screams. The later filter is "higher quality" but more tame

Spot on! The earlier Korg35 filter may have higher levels of background noise, but it's generally the one most people prefer for its aggressiveness and resonant scream.

For me, that's the charm of the MS20 - that it's NOT polite!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:32 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
N i g e l wrote:The early filter is "lower quality", noiser but it is aggressive and screams. The later filter is "higher quality" but more tame

Spot on! The earlier Korg35 filter may have higher levels of background noise, but it's generally the one most people prefer for its aggressiveness and resonant scream.

For me, that's the charm of the MS20 - that it's NOT polite!

Martin

My bad stomach saved me, I couldn’t go and get it, it’s probably gone now anyway.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous