You are here

Uh-Oh temptation temptation.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Uh-Oh temptation temptation.

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:03 pm

The Elf wrote:I've had several pieces of kit owned and used by 'names' and used on famous pieces of music, but... it didn't improve my music. ;)

That reminds me of a story, when a musician friend many years ago visited a studio in which Clapton was recording at the time, but all the musicians had gone out to lunch.

He carefully picked up Eric's guitar and played for a few seconds through Eric's amp setup, but said that he didn't sound any different - the magic was in the fingers, not the gear.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:21 pm

Martin Walker wrote:...the magic was in the fingers, not the gear.
It always is - always. If you can hear the player they're a master of their art.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:30 am

I'm sort of happy to say that I pretty much always sound like me... but not everybody would consider that a good thing :blush:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:27 am

Is it possible to have a thread here that doesn't devolve to comparisons to Behringer?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:45 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:If it was an old model with a bit of history attached to it, then that’s another thing.
It wouldn't make it sound any better. That's the first thing I discount when I have someone trying to sell me a piece of kit. I've had several pieces of kit owned and used by 'names' and used on famous pieces of music, but... it didn't improve my music. ;)

You know that, I know that.
History, ads to the vibe, which in turn puts you in a more "inspiring" place when you’re recording.
I walked down to my basement yesterday, my studio isn’t big or spectacular, but the sight of all that hardware, lights, keyboards, it always give me a thrill, it inspires me to use it, it’s definitely not like going down there and sitting at a desk and a computer, like doing the accounts.
It’s the same with anything to do with equipment, the more that’s associated with it the more magical it becomes.
I’d love to have bought Brian Eno's EMS Synthi, nothing to do with how it would make me play, it would just give me a thrill to be in there with it, to touch it, these things have magic, and they silently hold your hand.

:angel:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous