You are here

One man's trash...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

One man's trash...

Postby nickle15 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:58 pm

I answered an ad through Facebook's marketplace for a KORG Poly 800. It was listed as non functional but the seller felt it could probably be brought back to life. He wanted $60. I decided to get it on the off chance I could get it fixed. I picked it up this afternoon (an hour one way drive) and brought it home. I was going to open it up before I did anything but decided to try plugging it in. The display popped right on. The I connected to my amp and what do you know - it is fully functional! Easiest fix ever. Anyway, I feel bad now that I only paid $60 for it...
nickle15
Regular

Re: One man's trash...

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:34 pm

Don't feel bad.

That's about what it's worth... ;)
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:51 pm

The seller was perfectly happy with $60, so no worries on either side ;)

I t reminds me of the story of one of the first Minimoog Model D's that got sold on for a song because it would only play one note.

Some people don't want the hassle of putting in some effort into finding out what's wrong with their item (in this case nothing), especially with items that have been languishing in a shed/loft for years, or simply don't know what it's supposed to do and just want it off their hands.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby nickle15 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:57 am

desmond wrote:Don't feel bad.

:lol:

:oops:
nickle15
Regular

Postby nickle15 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:58 am

Martin Walker wrote:The seller was perfectly happy with $60, so no worries on either side ;)

I t reminds me of the story of one of the first Minimoog Model D's that got sold on for a song because it would only play one note.

Some people don't want the hassle of putting in some effort into finding out what's wrong with their item (in this case nothing), especially with items that have been languishing in a shed/loft for years, or simply don't know what it's supposed to do and just want it off their hands.

Martin

Good point.

He told me to let him know if I was able to get it working. I'll give that response some time...
nickle15
Regular

Postby Arpangel » Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:13 am

That’s a very cool synth, great find, I’d pay £43 for it, which is what it is in GBP.
You got a bargain, put it through a few pedals it’ll be great.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:39 am

Martin Walker wrote:It reminds me of the story of one of the first Minimoog Model D's that got sold on for a song because it would only play one note.
It was sold as faulty by Jack Wilde to Rick Wakeman. When Rick rang him to tell him it was working fine and was supposed to play only one note at a time, Jack is reputed (by Rick) to have said "Well, that's no use to me" and told Rick to keep it for the low price he had paid.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:12 am

Despite its restrictions (single filter, 4 note poly in dual mode) it is capable of making some really good sounds. If it is your only synth, it is limiting. If it is one of several synths, it is interesting and different, and can make some sounds you won’t get anywhere else. Enjoy it!
:thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:50 am

^^^ This is it.

Once you have the bases covered with decent-sounding synths, some of these quirky off-roaders become the salt and pepper of your rig. If I was stuck, for example, with my Teisco S100P as my only monosynth I'd hate it (and every lead solo would sound like a 1970s home organ), but for those little moments of magic it's truly fabulous.

And that's what leads to a studio full of kit and no room to move...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Mixedup » Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:45 pm

Arpangel wrote:That’s a very cool synth, great find, I’d pay £43 for it, which is what it is in GBP.
You got a bargain, put it through a few pedals it’ll be great.

Mine must have been faulty then... hated the bloody thing. :lolno:
Mixedup
Jedi Poster

Postby nickle15 » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:24 pm

BillB wrote:

Despite its restrictions (single filter, 4 note poly in dual mode) it is capable of making some really good sounds. If it is your only synth, it is limiting. If it is one of several synths, it is interesting and different, and can make some sounds you won’t get anywhere else. Enjoy it!
:thumbup:

This is synth 7 in my studio and my plan is to put it on the double stand with the Korg 707. Then I'll know just what stand to go to when I need something out of the ordinary! :thumbup:
nickle15
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:55 pm

I think the Poly 800 was my first synth unless there was a 600 - memory fades about this.
I thought it was cool but eventually moved on.
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster

Postby BillB » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:22 pm

Yes, it was my first poly in the late 80s and although I got some good sounds out of it, I always wanted more polyphony, filter per voice etc, so it felt very limiting and I had to move on. But as Elf says, when you have those bases covered, the oddities become more worthwhile. I should think it will go very nicely with the 707 - two nice Korg oddities together :thumbup:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby desmond » Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:47 pm

I way always predisposed to dislike the Poly800 as it was a limited budget synth with only one filter - and indeed, it would have been limiting as a first or only synth.

However, I was pleasantly surprised by FBM's free Poly800 emulation plugin - yes, it does many poor/cheap/cheesy sounds, but actually you can get some surprisingly nice things out of it, and in these, the days of infinite synth (album title), the paraphonic aspect of it was actually quite fun...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby BillB » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:29 am

This seems to have popped up right on cue.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i1qrTCEtYeE

Espen Kraft EX-800
BillB
Frequent Poster

Next