You are here

Buchla dilemma.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Buchla dilemma.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:47 am

The Buchla Easel is a great self contained instrument, that’s already very versatile, it’s made for us, nothing more to do, a perfect design for a definite purpose, live improvisation, with maximum variation and options.
Now they’ve got the Easel Command module, it’s the same as the Buchla 208 but with "added flexibility" Midi, Euro compatibility, USB, and a few extra programming options.
Plus, it’s a lot cheaper than a standard Easel, and, you get more.
But, it opens up a lot of choices, you can use whatever controller you want, keyboard etc, it’s got significant programming options over the standard Easel, the AUX CARD has been incorporated into it, that’s a £1,000 alone.
People are saying the Command goes against the Buchla philosophy, they’ve always been staunchly independent, having their own way of doing things, uncompromising, in not wanting to comply with or incorporate how other systems work, they have a definite sound, and then results are very unique because of this.
Also the circuits are supposed to be the same in the Command, but people are saying they sound different, that's important, as the sound is everything, if that’s changed, I’m not sure I want a Command, even if it has got lots of extras.

:think:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBJRhVwMEsg
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Buchla dilemma.

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:44 am

Forget that overblown nonsense. Small is beautiful. The trendy YouTubers are using mini-rigs like the Make Noise Music Easel.

https://llllllll.co/t/make-noise-music- ... ctrl/38093
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:00 pm

You mention the Easel in almost every post in this forum. Why on earth would you consider not getting it now?!

Stop watching YouTube and get the thing you really want.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm

BJG145 wrote:Forget that overblown nonsense. Small is beautiful. The trendy YouTubers are using mini-rigs like the Make Noise Music Easel.

https://llllllll.co/t/make-noise-music- ... ctrl/38093
I've been wanting to explore on a 0-Coast for ages, got sucked into the Subharmonicon world, but I think a 0-Coast will be on my short list for next year's synth purchase.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:19 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:I've been wanting to explore on a 0-Coast for ages.

They do look quite interesting.

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/make-noise-0-coast
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:27 pm

I had an O Coast, didn’t grab me, also, it sounds nothing like the Buchla.
I am getting a Buchla, it’s just what one? I don’t want to rush into it, I don’t want a big 200e, too time consuming, too complex, too many options.
It’s down to an Easel version, the jury is still out.
I really wanted to like the O Coast, but it was very underwhelming, you can tell straight way, it’s either yes, I love you (Buchla) or best of luck, I hope you find someone more your type ( O Coast)

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:26 am

I have been eyeing one of those Command Modules as they seem readily available in the UK.

I have this guilty feeling that the money could instead be used for food and bills though in these uncertain times, bit of a shame.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:07 am

BobTheDog wrote:I have been eyeing one of those Command Modules as they seem readily available in the UK.

I have this guilty feeling that the money could instead be used for food and bills though in these uncertain times, bit of a shame.

I have that feeling all the time! if I thought about finances every time I bought something I’d never buy anything, and there is one rule that we shouldn’t break under "any" circumstances, if you haven’t actually got the cash, then don’t buy it, nothing like this is worth getting into debt for, and if essential of your life suffer, it’s no, and that goes without saying.
It depends what our situation is, I’m old and irresponsible, if anything goes wrong it’s me who’s to blame, no one else, if you’re young, have a wife, family etc, that’s a whole different outlook.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:58 am

Totally agree, never borrow money.

My problem seems to be that I was very irresponsible when I was younger, the older I get the more responsible I become.

So I think how much use will I get out of it for 3 grand, I have some gear that has given me good value for money but really probably only 10% of it.

Then I think how much beer can 3 grand buy me :)
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Apr 13, 2021 2:53 pm

BobTheDog wrote:
Then I think how much beer can 3 grand buy me :)
Almost 10 years of craft beer for me!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 13, 2021 3:57 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Then I think how much beer can 3 grand buy me :)

About two weeks worth for me.....

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:19 pm

Arpangel wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:Then I think how much beer can 3 grand buy me :)

About two weeks worth for me.....

:D :D :D

I would advise the Easel for you then, much safer!
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby johnny h » Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:33 pm

Buchla no longer has a philosophy. Don tragically lost control over the company before his death to an Australian investment group and spent his final years fighting them in court.

As for the changes that "Audio Supermarket ltd" has brought, let's just say I know several people fully committed to buying up older Buchla products as quickly as they can find them!
johnny h
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:38 am

johnny h wrote:Buchla no longer has a philosophy. Don tragically lost control over the company before his death to an Australian investment group and spent his final years fighting them in court.

As for the changes that "Audio Supermarket ltd" has brought, let's just say I know several people fully committed to buying up older Buchla products as quickly as they can find them!

It’s strange how things went so pear shaped, as for buying up older Buchla, prices are prohibitive, unless you’ve got so much money you don’t have to think about it, forget it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster