You are here

Akai Mpk88 - Midi Channel Footswitch and assignable botton S1

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Akai Mpk88 - Midi Channel Footswitch and assignable botton S1

Postby maraja90 » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:42 am

Hello everyone,

I've a midi keyboard that I use with Cubase and the sounds of N.I.
I'm trying to map keyboard buttons of my Akai to control various functions (play, rec, mixer knob, etc.) on cubase.
But i have the following problem: the sustain pedal, which I plugged into Footswitch 1 input, has the same midi channel as the assignable button "S1" I have on the keyboard, [midi channel 1A ctrl 64].

I would like to change the midi channel of the sustain pedal, but I don't know if it conflicts with the Kontakt of N.I. and I no longer recognize the sustain function; the alternative would be to change the midi channel of the button.
does anyone have the same problem as me or the solution for me?

another solution is: don't use that button. But it seems strange to me that a pedal inserted in the Footswitch 1 input has the exact same channel as a button on the keyboard ...

thank you,
Francesco
maraja90

Re: Akai Mpk88 - Midi Channel Footswitch and assignable botton S1

Postby The Elf » Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:59 am

Welcome! :thumbup:

It's not at all strange that the pedal has the same MIDI channel as the keyboard. If you had the MIDI output connected to another synthesiser then it would be very odd if the pedal didn't control that synth by being on a different MIDI channel to the notes you are playing! :?

If you are using Cubase then you can re-channelise any incoming MIDI information, and if you *do* have a genuine need to re-channelise the pedal on its own (though I struggle think of why!) you could use Cubase's MIDI Transformer to do just that.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:10 pm

Do you mean channel, or control signal number i.e. both 64? Unless you've remapped it in software, 64 is the standard control number for a hold/sustain pedal. So if you've got a pedal, you shouldn't need to use a button that (presumably) will send out the same signal.

I may have misunderstood what you are trying to do, so you may be better off describing what you've set that button up to do in the N.I. software.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby maraja90 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 pm

Button S1:

https:*?*?*/ZcysPkp

Thank you.
I tried to change the Midi Channel of the S1 button (in the photo), from 1A to 9A, but I didn't solve it. Button S1 continues to activate sustain. Instead I would like to use it as a mute key for track 1 in the Cubase mixer.
I think I'll give up and just avoid using that button.
maraja90