You are here

WOW -- Vangelis real-time orchestral performance on WavesArt custom setup

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

WOW -- Vangelis real-time orchestral performance on WavesArt custom setup

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:20 pm

Apologies if this has been posted before, but this video of Vangelis performing an orchestral score in real time blew my mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOWB7KWS9CA
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: WOW -- Vangelis real-time orchestral performance on WavesArt custom setup

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:23 pm

Yep, and everytime someone pots this, a hundred people ask what the boxes with knobs on are... :headbang:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:25 pm

LOL, I found it hard to believe that this has not been discussed. It's pretty well described in the description of the video.

Regardless, the performance is staggering, that is a LOT of info to keep in your head at once!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:45 pm

Quite stunning - both the way he did it and the final result!
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby desmond » Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:47 pm

Ben Asaro wrote:LOL, I found it hard to believe that this has not been discussed. It's pretty well described in the description of the video.

Yes, but this particular instance of the video was uploaded by that uploader just a couple of years ago. It's been around much longer than that, in other places, without those descriptions added by that uploader (because people didn't know what they were back then).

it's done the rounds many times previously...
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:11 am

This is a good example of someone having an idea, and having to make the equipment to realise it, not just go to a store and buy a black box that everyone else is using.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:35 am

Astonishing! I'm no keyboard player but this is truly amazing skill at work.

It makes me thing how many musicians - especially composers - can be incredibly more skilled than one would think from a casual listen to their "mainstream" or published work.

As an anecdote, I don't really know anything by Vangelis other than "Hymn" and I remember pointing that piece to an ex-gf of mine who is a very good classical player. She was quite unimpressed. I love the melody in that piece but as the playing goes, it is - I guess - fairly simple to play. Or at least it doesn't sound flashy. Hence her being unimpressed.

That discussion led to me deciding that I don't care about flashy and I much rather have a good melody in my own work than show how many notes I can play per second or how much I can stretch my hands (not that one excludes the other, of course, but it's where you put the focus)... and of course contributed to her becoming an ex. :lol:

So thank you Vangelis (and Ben for posting).
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:48 am

CS70 wrote:Astonishing! I'm no keyboard player but this is truly amazing skill at work.

It makes me thing how many musicians - especially composers - can be incredibly more skilled than one would think from a casual listen to their "mainstream" or published work.

As an anecdote, I don't really know anything by Vangelis other than "Hymn" and I remember pointing that piece to an ex-gf of mine who is a very good classical player. She was quite unimpressed. I love the melody in that piece but as the playing goes, it is - I guess - fairly simple to play. Or at least it doesn't sound flashy. Hence her being unimpressed.

That discussion led to me deciding that I don't care about flashy and I much rather have a good melody in my own work than show how many notes I can play per second or how much I can stretch my hands (not that one excludes the other, of course, but it's where you put the focus)... and of course contributed to her becoming an ex. :lol:

So thank you Vangelis (and Ben for posting).

Vangelis has a great feel, and a great sense of melody, his music is incredibly emotionally charged, not flashy, it doesn’t need to be.
My favourite period of his music for me was when he was in Aphrodite’s Child, his sounds in there are still very much a part of my subconscious when making my own music.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:00 am

The old style over substance thing.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:18 am

Folderol wrote:The old style over substance thing.

Style can have substance, substance can lack style, either way.

:crazy: :)
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:45 am

It looks a very convoluted way to play a few samples! :headbang:

But if it works for him...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby CS70 » Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:46 am

Well, I like style and substance, she could play and looked damn good! Just a little narrow minded :lol:

Back on topic, I love the mechanically rotating displays.. it has a kind of Jules Verne feeling!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:54 am

Arpangel wrote:This is a good example of someone having an idea, and having to make the equipment to realise it, not just go to a store and buy a black box that everyone else is using.
Well yeah, because unlike "everyone else" he's a millionaire so is not limited to commercial solutions.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:01 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
Arpangel wrote:This is a good example of someone having an idea, and having to make the equipment to realise it, not just go to a store and buy a black box that everyone else is using.
Well yeah, because unlike "everyone else" he's a millionaire so is not limited to commercial solutions.

What a great position to be in, I’m always trying to find the best way to make all my stuff work together, it’s always a lash up, but to really get on top,of it, have the luxury of someone designing a bespoke system would be wonderful.
He has a sound, massive talent, and got a big advance early on in his career, he had the first CS80 in the country, had it imported all the way from Japan via Russia! he got a Lexicon 224 when they first came out, which was a revelation at the time, and is responsible in a large part for that lush romantic sound, his studio in Hampton Gurney Street was fascinating, there’s quite a bit written about it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby tea for two » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:22 am

Arpangel wrote: his studio in Hampton Gurney Street was fascinating
This Nemo era of Vangelis makes me nostalgic im not quite sure why.
tea for two
Frequent Poster

Next