You are here

Give your keyboards some personality, add pedals.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Give your keyboards some personality, add pedals.

Postby Adam Inglis » Sun May 02, 2021 10:16 am

The Elf wrote:Yes, every effect has it's own connection to TotalMix - but that would be the same with a mixer. After that the rest is a doddle. It's the same number of connections whatever you connect them to.
.. As to numbers... to each their own, but I currently have 64 ins and outs.

Sixty...

four...?

OK, that is serious!

Although, I must say, I find myself re-balancing three things most of the time: - the channel fader, the aux send, and the pedal pots.
This finds the sonic sweet spot for a particular piece.
And this is done with two hands, two ears, and eyes often closed!

With your set-up, two of those three tweaks would be have to be done with a mouse.
Which means your brain's optical cortex is engaged (among other things), in order to tell your mouse hand what to do.
Too much brain energy being used for non creative purposes!

;-)

Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby The Elf » Sun May 02, 2021 10:27 am

Adam Inglis wrote:With your set-up, two of those three tweaks would be have to be done with a mouse.
Nope - all mapped to controllers. I have a couple of cheap controllers that handle all my TotalMix faders.

And even if they weren't - I have no problem with using a mouse. It's not a problem that needs solving in my book!

TotalMix even comes with an iOS app, if that appeals - most of the time I just use that as an 'always on' display.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Elf » Sun May 02, 2021 10:39 am

Adam Inglis wrote:
The Elf wrote:Yes, every effect has it's own connection to TotalMix - but that would be the same with a mixer. After that the rest is a doddle. It's the same number of connections whatever you connect them to.
.. As to numbers... to each their own, but I currently have 64 ins and outs.
Sixty...
four...?
It sounds mad, until you begin to think in terms of stereo - which halves that number instantly, eight FX processors/pedals, which halves the count again, and a room full of synths! :lol:

Those 64 inputs disappear rapidly!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Mon May 03, 2021 4:55 am

Impressive and inspiring, Elf!
Would there be a pic somewhere illustrating your ergonomics?
I know nothing about Totalmix, however my MOTU interface has something called Cuemix. Being an analogue kinda guy, I never paid it much attention, but now I'm thinking it might be worth looking into...
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby The Elf » Mon May 03, 2021 10:04 am

TotalMix is something that scares many RME users, so they never discover what it can do for them. When I get it across to some of those I teach it's like opening the doors to the Wonka factory!

See what facilities CueMix offers - I've no experience with that.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon May 03, 2021 11:10 pm

This thread has inspired me to get stuck in again with my Jomox T-Resonator II, although sadly I've just found that its switch-mode power supply no longer works, so I'll have to buy a replacement before I get stuck in :(

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby BobTheDog » Tue May 04, 2021 7:46 am

BobTheDog wrote:Thanks for the info,

You have added to my already high level of unease about the Poly Effects stuff, not having feedback seems a bit of a restriction!

I do have a Helix which I have connected up to my guitar rig which as you say is excellent, but was sort of looking for something more experimental which led me to the Zoia and then I noticed the Poly Effects pedals and started looking at that.

The Zoia does seem to have a great community and some of the patches available are definitely on the experimental side!

If I get one I will let you know how it pans out...

I have now had a little email chat with the Poly Effects guy "Loki", he is very responsive.

I had some questions about some missing CV type modules which he gave some alternatives to and also said he could add the little bits I was after, I also asked about the feedback issue and he said it is coming but he needs a solution while keeping it safe for most users.

So I'm pretty impressed with the "support" side of things, always good to be actually able to talk to the people that develop the thing.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue May 04, 2021 8:24 am

BobTheDog wrote:I have now had a little email chat with the Poly Effects guy "Loki", he is very responsive.
Yes, that was my experience too. He's a nice chap.

I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue May 04, 2021 8:31 am

Loki? Don't do it, it's a trick! :D
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby BobTheDog » Tue May 04, 2021 12:05 pm

The Elf wrote:
BobTheDog wrote:I have now had a little email chat with the Poly Effects guy "Loki", he is very responsive.
Yes, that was my experience too. He's a nice chap.

I'll be interested to hear how you get along with it.

I think the idea here is still to get the Zoia and keep an eye out on how the Beebo progresses and get one a bit later.
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 05, 2021 7:25 am

The Elf wrote:
Adam Inglis wrote:With your set-up, two of those three tweaks would be have to be done with a mouse.
Nope - all mapped to controllers. I have a couple of cheap controllers that handle all my TotalMix faders.

And even if they weren't - I have no problem with using a mouse. It's not a problem that needs solving in my book!

TotalMix even comes with an iOS app, if that appeals - most of the time I just use that as an 'always on' display.

Once you start to talk about controllers, and software, you may as well just get an integrated hardware mixer, you’re back to square one, with software and a controller, you’re basically taking a technique that’s very simple, and making it really complicated.
I don’t like controllers, they don’t feel right, also, the multiple fader/knob thing is very important, you just can’t do it with a mouse.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 05, 2021 7:59 am

Let's not confuse personal preference with 'simple' or 'complicated'.

How simple is it to flip a pedal from a send to an insert on an analogue mixer? It takes me one button-press - no mouse involved. That doesn't mean it's the simpler way for everyone, but it is for me.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 05, 2021 8:14 am

The Elf wrote:Let's not confuse personal preference with 'simple' or 'complicated'.

How simple is it to flip a pedal from a send to an insert on an analogue mixer? It takes me one button-press. That doesn't mean it's the better way for everyone, but it is for me.

When it comes to personal preferences I only ever think of myself, it’s
in no way a complex decision, of course I recognise others will prefer different ways of working, but ultimately I’m only interested in what I want, I have been known to consider other peoples opinions, but I can’t remember exactly when, right now.

:D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Wed May 05, 2021 8:16 am

:lol: :thumbup:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed May 05, 2021 8:24 am

This is really bad, I’m terrible sometimes, in relation to Elf, and his software, controllers, a very generous person on this forum gave me a Behringer BCF2000 some time ago, it’s still sitting in the box :blush:
I now have a nice PC laying redundant, on a table across the room, I’m going to set it up as a test bed, and see if I can get anything worthwhile to come out of this combo.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous