You are here

Roland Juno 60 plugin/out alternatives

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Roland Juno 60 plugin/out alternatives

Postby mat6066 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:39 am

Following Gordon Reid's less than glowing review of the new Juno 60 soft synth from Roland, I wondered what alternatives there were to this beside Arturia's? Mr Reid advises us to weigh up the competition - what might that be?
mat6066
Regular

Re: Roland Juno 60 plugin/out alternatives

Postby Dan LB » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:01 pm

Dan LB
Frequent Poster

Postby IAA » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:50 pm

Arturia, IIRC Gordon was ok with it , although I also thought he was ok about the sound of the Roland one?
In my experience (owned and gigged with a Juno 6 for most of my teens and early 20s) it’s the chorus emulation that will make the biggest difference to the classic pad sounds. I think the Arturia one is OK and TAL have a freeware version which is also ok. It’s basically a very simple poly with a lovely chorus. Most emulations are not wildly off - chorus aside . Also check out Starskey Carrs recent review of the softube version. Interesting. https://youtu.be/duuUbFn7css
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby mat6066 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:06 pm

IAA wrote:Arturia, IIRC Gordon was ok with it , although I also thought he was ok about the sound of the Roland one?
In my experience (owned and gigged with a Juno 6 for most of my teens and early 20s) it’s the chorus emulation that will make the biggest difference to the classic pad sounds. I think the Arturia one is OK and TAL have a freeware version which is also ok. It’s basically a very simple poly with a lovely chorus. Most emulations are not wildly off - chorus aside . Also check out Starskey Carrs recent review of the softube version. Interesting. https://youtu.be/duuUbFn7css
That's a comparison with the Juno 106 as opposed to the 60.
mat6066
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:18 pm

The Juno 106 emulation in the System-8 seems pretty accurate to my ears, though I'm not a fan of high-resonance sounds, so that aspect wouldn't be a big deal to me. And the 106 sounds near enough to a 6/60 if I wanted that sound for some aberrational moment! (Having owned a Juno 6 back in the day I have zero desire to go back there).
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:12 pm

Are you looking at just software? I think the basic raw Juno sound can be achieved as close as you need for music with plenty of other things tbh, and I've been using Junos for 30 years. The chorus though, as pointed out above, is a big part of the sound and choruses are not made equal. I never liked the TAL, never sounded close to my ears, but it gets lots of praise generally. Using the Juno isn't just about the sound, there's the control panel simplicity and the arpeggiator – so it depends what features you're interested in that, for you, comprise what you want from the 'Juno' experience.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby BigRedX » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:29 am

As others have said it's mostly about the chorus (from what I recall back in the 80s the Juno synths always sounded thin and weedy with the chorus turned off), and the rest of the characteristic sound come from its limitations - only one oscillator and EG per voice.

Therefore, pretty much any single oscillator, single EG, synth (or one with only one oscillator switched on and using a single EG for both filter and amplifier control) going through an Boss Chorus emulation should do the job.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby IAA » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 am

Therefore, pretty much any single oscillator, single EG, synth (or one with only one oscillator switched on and using a single EG for both filter and amplifier control) going through an Boss Chorus emulation should do the job.

This!

They were popular because at the time they were cheap, polyphonic and simple to use. I never liked it for anything other than warm pads and some brassy sounds. Never ever used it to solo on! :D
IAA
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Wed Apr 28, 2021 4:42 pm

Warm pads and brassy sounds are what the 60 excels at! :D

For some reason, I never thought that the 106 sounded the same as a 60 - it always sounded a little more precise and sharp. I associate the 60 with soft, warm pad and the 106 with the PWM string pad. I've owned a 106 and just didn't 'get' it .. so I sold it when the demand was high in the 90s for almost double what I payed for it.

But then recently I dug out an Alpha Juno 1 and found that it could do quite a nice warm pad as well. Maybe I'd say it was a little colder but that could be my personal prejudices clouding my judgement.

If I was offered a decent 60 at a good price, it's one of the few old synths I'd get. But that's just me being nostalgic - they are such a doddle to use and, for what they do well, they sound lovely. If the boutique version had had the correct complement of voices, then I'd have gone for the 06A (even with its miniscule controls). I'm not sure about a plugin version though - I think it's the physicality of the 60 that appeals to me.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby nathanscribe » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:11 pm

Dave B wrote:I think it's the physicality of the 60 that appeals to me.

Same. The Juno 6/60 were never about blowing anyone's socks off, they're about being a simple, accessible, immediate polysynth that you have to work hard to get a bad sound out of. If you want a sound the Juno can do, you can get to it in seconds. There's no getting lost.

Getting the basic sound of the Juno on other devices isn't too hard. Getting the feel is.

I've had a Juno or two since '91, so the Juno pad style has become a bit of a 'go to' test patch for any synth I try out – how quickly and easily can I get that? It's not so much a yardstick of the sonic potential of a device as an idea about its operability.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby mat6066 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:14 pm

nathanscribe wrote:Are you looking at just software? I think the basic raw Juno sound can be achieved as close as you need for music with plenty of other things tbh, and I've been using Junos for 30 years. The chorus though, as pointed out above, is a big part of the sound and choruses are not made equal. I never liked the TAL, never sounded close to my ears, but it gets lots of praise generally. Using the Juno isn't just about the sound, there's the control panel simplicity and the arpeggiator – so it depends what features you're interested in that, for you, comprise what you want from the 'Juno' experience.

Yes and no :) I've got a System 8 and what really appeals is using this as a controller for the Juno 60 in plug-out form. But the plug out (purchased as a plug-in) is expensive and Gordon Reid (who's ears and experience are far beyond mine) clearly thinks that the emulation isn't worth the price. If there is a cheaper alternative that I can map the System 8's controls to I think this would be ideal.

nathanscribe wrote:
Dave B wrote:I think it's the physicality of the 60 that appeals to me.

Same. The Juno 6/60 were never about blowing anyone's socks off, they're about being a simple, accessible, immediate polysynth that you have to work hard to get a bad sound out of. If you want a sound the Juno can do, you can get to it in seconds. There's no getting lost.

Getting the basic sound of the Juno on other devices isn't too hard. Getting the feel is.

And this is what the System 8 is great for when working with the plug outs.
mat6066
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:52 pm

System-8 puts out MIDI CCs and NPRNs for all its controls. Mapping these to any emulation of anything should be relatively simple.

At some point I found this guide:
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby mat6066 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:32 pm

The Elf wrote:System-8 puts out MIDI CCs and NPRNs for all its controls. Mapping these to any emulation of anything should be relatively simple.

At some point I found this guide:
Thank you!
mat6066
Regular

Postby mat6066 » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:34 pm

No-one's mentioned Diva yet. I'd heard this was a good route to Juno 60 sounds...
mat6066
Regular

Postby DarthPaul » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:08 pm

I have the Arturia and Roland Cloud Junos, both are good.

As a different approach to the Juno sound, I can heartily recommended the late Steve Howell's Kontakt instrument, the Hollow Sun You Know 6. It's very economical and very good! And buying it helps to support Steve's legacy and his family too.

Check it out!

http://www.hollowsun.com/HS2/products/youknow/index.htm
DarthPaul
Poster