You are here

Korg Triton Taktile 49 - problems using with a PC

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Korg Triton Taktile 49 - problems using with a PC

Postby S.Crow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:08 pm

Hi, I’m trying to help a young colleague with problems they are having connecting a Korg Triton Taktile 49 with a computer.
I don’t have much to go on yet but will update when I do and here is what they have said so far:

“Either the transport functions work or the keyboard works but not both at the same time.”

Before I speak with them tomorrow I am trying to ascertain if there are known problems with this keyboard or more likely whether it is just a bit of a pig to set up.
I don’t have great faith in Korg’s software skills so any pointers would be appreciated.
Do you generally need to use the Korg Kontrol Editor when using the controller features such as transport functions?

I’ve asked them to provide the following info:
1. What software including the version number are you using with the Korg?
2. Have you installed the Korg Kontrol Editor and if so what version number?
3. Have you installed the Korg USB/MIDI driver?
4. Are you using Windows or macOS? What version are you using?
5. Are you connecting the Korg to the computer with a USB cable or a MIDI cable? Do you have a 2nd cable that you can try?

Thanks for any help.
S.Crow
Poster

Re: Korg Triton Taktile 49 - problems using with a PC

Postby The Elf » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:14 pm

I have zero knowledge of that specific device, but some keyboards are able to divide their keyboard and controllers over two virtual MIDI ports.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:38 pm

It's an absolutely terrible manual. To me it looks a bit like it can't play internal sounds and act as a controller. It looks like it can make noises or it can act as a MIDI keyboard with transport functions, but not both together. It states that in sound mode, everything is broadcast on the Global channel rather than a specific one, but that's about it. Certainly to use the function keys for other functions, not ones related to the internal sounds, the 'sound' button must be turned off.

The info seems to be spread across several different manuals, with most being in the Korg Control manual.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby S.Crow » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:27 pm

Thanks guys, that is something useful to get me started with.
I'll dig into the PDFs tomorrow.
I'm not a fan of Korg's ease of use in general.
S.Crow
Poster

Postby S.Crow » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:25 am

Wonks wrote:It states that in sound mode, everything is broadcast on the Global channel rather than a specific one, but that's about it.
Certainly to use the function keys for other functions, not ones related to the internal sounds, the 'sound' button must be turned off.

What are the implications of the Global channel being used when this is connected to a PC?
I'm not well versed in MIDI.

Wonks wrote:To me it looks a bit like it can't play internal sounds and act as a controller. It looks like it can make noises or it can act as a MIDI keyboard with transport functions, but not both together.

That may well be the issue, waiting for more info.
S.Crow
Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:58 am

Normally I'd expect a global broadcast to be on all 16 MIDI channels, but my brief look at the Korg Control software manual seemed to indicate that in this case, you can pick what MIDI channel 'Global' is.

You'd really have to have it all in front of you to make sense IMO.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby S.Crow » Sun May 02, 2021 8:52 am

The issue seemingly was compatibility with Logic, but judging by the info that came my way I'm not sure they knew what they were doing.
If people don't respond to simple questions then not sure how they hope to get things sorted.
S.Crow
Poster