You are here

Soft Synth Advice

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Soft Synth Advice

Postby 62Strat » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:23 am

Hi all,

I'm recording some covers as a project, and it includes a lot of late 80's til about 2000. Right now I'm working on "Won't Back Down" by Tom Petty. I'm struggling to find an adequate synth sound for the background pads on this song. I'm looking to invest no more than $250 on a new soft synth that is especially strong on synth pads. Something that can cover a lot of ground and can be used on virtually any classic rock song.

I'm not looking to create crazy movie soundtrack/atmospheric sounds, nor am I looking for classic 80's synth sounds like Van Halen's "Jump". More classy ones.

Some on my shortlist:
1. Korg Triton
2. Korg M1
3. NI FM8
4. Kontakt Absynth or Massive

I've played a lot of them before, not sure which is best for this type of application. Also open to new ideas.

I'm running a Macbook Pro w/ the new M1 chip, Cubase as a sequencer, MOTU A/I and Akai Midi controller.

Thanks!
62Strat
Poster

Re: Soft Synth Advice

Postby The Elf » Wed Apr 28, 2021 7:58 am

Have you fully explored Cubase's stock synths?

Retrolog and Padshop alone should give you a great combination of classic 80's synth sounds and 'classy' esoteric tones.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:53 pm

The Elf wrote:Have you fully explored Cubase's stock synths?

Retrolog and Padshop alone should give you a great combination of classic 80's synth sounds and 'classy' esoteric tones.
+1. There's nothing particularly esoteric about the pad in that song. :)
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:24 am

The pad on that song was an Oberheim - OBXa or OB8 - and was one of Jeff Lynne's stock sounds. It's basically two sawtooths, slightly detuned with the fairly closed filter, soft attack and a little release.

If you want that - and something like the Jump sound (also an Oberheim - patch A1 on an OBXa iirc), then there is an excellent cheap OB-series plugin :

https://www.discodsp.com/obxd/

Sounds fine to me. I'm sure will tell you it isn't a perfect recreation, but it definitely sounds in the right ballpark to these old ears!
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby N i g e l » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:31 pm

62Strat wrote:3. NI FM8
!

DEXED is a free Dx7 type VST and it can read the DX7 patch files, of which there are a million on the WWW

https://freevstplugins.net/dexed/
N i g e l
Frequent Poster