You are here

Discussion: Replicating change/method ringing on the modular

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Discussion: Replicating change/method ringing on the modular

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:11 pm

A recent post on Instagram by mylar melodies has precipitated dive into the rabbit hole of change and method ringing, a technique of ringing church bells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wfq7XerjRqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njp1Xx2EQe4

Mathematical/procedural nerdity being a passion of mine, I started thinking about how this can be accomplished on a modular synth.

I think the biggest challenge is clocking, as each bell has its own 'swing', and there's this breathing cascade of notes that bunch up and then spread out again within each measure which adds to the hypnotic effect.

Any thoughts on how one might accomplish this? One way that I've thought is to use trigger outs per voice to act as individual clocks, but that would be far from random.

I also thought that perhaps changing the sample length of certain measures so that it introduced a small variance into the timing might work. For example, for one voice you have it clocked at X, and then you have a variation that is a few samples shorter and another that is a few samples longer; this will subtly alter the overall feel of the timing.

Definitely an intriguing idea!

If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Discussion: Replicating change/method ringing on the modular

Postby resistorman » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:34 pm

I had no idea this was going on! I’ve lived a bell deprived life. Anyhow, I just acquired Pamela’s New Workout, and I bet it could be accomplished with this module, though I’m only on my first cup of coffee so thoughts on how are slow.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:38 pm

I have Pam's as well, and I thought about how this could be accomplished. Any thoughts on how you would implement it? I know you can have two clock outputs with very fine degrees of difference, but can you modulate them as well so that they drift?

A full LFO applied to the clock would not work as it would have to be heavily attenuated. Hmmm ...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby resistorman » Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:15 pm

You can modulate phase, delay, width etc. of the waveforms, though I’m not even close to working with those things yet.
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:22 pm

UPDATE:

LFO > attenuator > function generator combo can be dialed into to great a tiny bit of drift. Great! However -- that's only one clock! There has to be an easier way to do this across multiple voices ... hmmm ...
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Sat May 01, 2021 1:21 pm

I am becoming increasingly convinced that the sound I am after can be achieved by adjusting the step resolution in the NerdSeq. I think that by manipulating the step resolution I can get a very small timing variance dialed in.

It’s going to take a lot of experimentation to figure out how, exactly, the step resolution equates to bpm, as there’s no documentation in the NerdSeq manual for this and it’s in hexadecimal. :tongue:

You can also adjust the resolution on a per-step basis so it will also require a lot of experimentation to see how many steps need to be shifted to have the desired effect.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster