You are here

New synth incoming -- Soma Labs Lyra 8

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: New synth incoming -- Soma Labs Lyra 8

Postby Martin Walker » Thu May 27, 2021 11:15 pm

Ooh, how exciting!

Looking forward to future feedback, but hopefully without any squeals ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 28, 2021 2:56 am

Martin Walker wrote:Ooh, how exciting!

Looking forward to future feedback, but hopefully without any squeals ;)

Martin
LOL -- VERY easy to do that on this machine! In fact, you can do that without even playing any of the voices; you can just get the delays to feedback!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 28, 2021 3:10 am

Okay, here we go ... I'm going to try to parse through my initial experience with this amazing machine.

First off, everything you've read or heard about the Lyra-8 is true. Is it a drone machine? Yes ... and no. It certainly can create 'drones', but it's more of an infinitely variable texture machine. It's so mutable, and so easy to go from heaven to hell, and forget how to get back, and not mind that fact. It's almost like guided meditation. Like I said, it's hard to parse through all the feelings here!

If someone were interested in getting into real nuts and bolts, hardcore synthesis and had $2k ish to spend, I would without hesitation recommend the following system: Subharmonicon, DFAM, and Lyra-8. You literally would need very little else besides a small mixer to feed the SubH and DFAM into the Lyra-8's audio input. That combination could keep you exploring for years.

I found my thoughts continually returning to the Subharmonicon because it rewards the same type of exploration in the same exact way: it's all useable, just depends on the context. And if you're trying to get it to work within strict parameters, you will be spending a long time, indeed, getting it to obey your wishes. They are more like collaborators than instruments. It's a generative, soundscape (or hellscape) wonderland.

There is just ONE THING I wish the Lyra-8 had, and that was a gate output that was sync'd with the LFO's rhythm, such as the Rythm outputs on the SubH; that would make it so much easier to get the Subhamonicon, or anything else, play nice with the L8. However, that's clearly not what this machine was designed to do.

And you know what? I'm okay with that. Because what you do get from this machine, is a living, breathing thing. It requires constant attention, minding, reining in, and adapting.

I've barely scratched the surface of what it can do, I think. I'm not much of a noise person (as in, the genre of noise music), but I do love me a good, slow soundscape.

The layout is actually pretty intuitive after the first 30 minutes spent trying to coax a sound, ANY sound, from it. :)

I don't miss the fact that it's not easily controllable or that it doesn't lock in sync with other equipment (though I do think that can be resolved with the Organismic Sequencer ...).

For my money, this unit is a 10/10. I already know I will get far more use out of it than, say, my Roland Boutique JP-08.

I don't know if you all will find any of this even remotely helpful, so if you have specific questions, don't hesitate to ask.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri May 28, 2021 6:17 am

Ben Asaro wrote:It's so mutable, and so easy to go from heaven to hell, and forget how to get back, and not mind that fact.

Sold.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
That would be an ecumenical matter.

Postby The Elf » Fri May 28, 2021 9:20 am

:) Sounds more like the description of owning a pet, rather than an electronic instrument!

It suggests you'll get a lot of inspiration from it, and that's never a bad thing. Now all we want are some audio examples (which I'll obviously shamelessly sample and use :tongue: )! C'mon!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 28, 2021 10:52 am

The Elf wrote::) Sounds more like the description of owning a pet, rather than an electronic instrument!
I was thinking of a drummer but same principle... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Folderol » Fri May 28, 2021 11:04 am

blinddrew wrote:
The Elf wrote::) Sounds more like the description of owning a pet, rather than an electronic instrument!
But... but... Who'd want to own a drummer :shocked:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 28, 2021 11:29 am

Folderol wrote:
blinddrew wrote:
But... but... Who'd want to own a drummer :shocked:
Maybe it's like those 'sponsor a goat' programmes?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Fri May 28, 2021 12:24 pm

Just remember “A drummers for life not just for Christmas /lockdown/the odd gig”
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri May 28, 2021 12:53 pm

Our drummer only got 18 months with good behaviour.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 28, 2021 2:32 pm

LOL the thought crossed my mind that you could describe the L8 in terms that would fit an old friend that you know well -- complimentary overall, but there a few things that bug you. :D

It suggests you'll get a lot of inspiration from it, and that's never a bad thing.
Agreed, and I hope so. I'm going to be using it on a new piece I've been working on (see the method/change ringing thread for more info) and will see where it takes me from there (I have another idea that I'm also working on that will also probably feature the L8 heavily)

Now all we want are some audio examples (which I'll obviously shamelessly sample and use :tongue: )! C'mon!
lol
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 28, 2021 8:11 pm

Just finished my first recording with the L8. Once I got it in tune, using this instrument is like cheating lol.

3 tracks in total: first track are two modular voices in stereo; second track is the SubH using a single sub oscillator; third track is the L8.

Signal chain: L8 being modulated by the Hyper LFO and internal modulated delay > strymon DECO > RV-500 running two different delays and room reverbs > Eventide Blackhole.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby BobTheDog » Fri May 28, 2021 8:49 pm

Should there be a link?
BobTheDog
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Fri May 28, 2021 9:16 pm

BobTheDog wrote:Should there be a link?
Not until it gets posted in the Self Promotion forum. :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri May 28, 2021 9:55 pm

Tease!
;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext