You are here

Dune3 synth issue

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Dune3 synth issue

Postby zitto » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:36 am

Hi everyone. I found cool preset ( arp ) in Dune 3 and it has some sound that is not affects by any FX Bus ( like eq ... ) i find out that it is somehow connected with Common Voices tab arp 1, fx1. I turn off all 2 oscillators down in OSC Mixer but this sound still going. Where it is comming from ?
zitto
Poster
goooood morning !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Dune3 synth issue

Postby Alperian » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:49 pm

Probably best to talk to Synapse about it. in addition, you might want to give them more information than you gave in your thread, eg preset name :( .
Alperian
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:02 am

Was the preset not 'arp' ?
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Eddy Deegan » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:18 pm

I don't have Dune but if a synthesizer patch continues to sound after you have turned the oscillator(s) down then it could be something modulating those oscillator levels. Depending on the capabilities of the synth, the arpeggiater itself could even be a modulation source.

I see that on page 100 of the manual it describes the Mixer Volume modulation destination as follows:

Dune 3 manual wrote:Mixer Volume

Adjusts the volume of all oscillators, ring mod and noise. This destination is useful whenever the pre-filter volume needs to be automated (otherwise, Amp Level can be used as a destination instead).

So I'd treat this as an interesting learning exercise and start by looking at the modulation matrix to see if anything is modulating the oscillator levels :)
Eddy Deegan
Some of my works | The SOS Forum Album projects

Postby Alperian » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:33 am

Osc Mixer has 5 sliders that control the levels of the oscs-1,2,3/ring-mod/noise of the voice you have selected. So there are 8 voices and their 8 mixers that can all be used independently for each patch.

You select the voice on the right with common/voices edit. Just click on any of the 8 voice buttons and you will see that you are using a different mixer for each voice.

If you want no sound at all then you would have to make sure that all the sliders are at 0 for ALL voices.

Obviously the Unison Voice [Amt] sets and overrides how many voices you have for each patch. Set it to 1 and you are only using voice 1 etc.

It's a bit like having 8 monster S.E.Ms and turning each's editing on or off in the common/voices edit section.
Alperian
Poster