You are here

Tom Jones - NPR Show

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

Tom Jones - NPR Show

Postby nickle15 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:06 pm

Wow - I was really caught off guard by how good this set is:

https://youtu.be/3Qfw6pon9tA

I think my first exposure to him was watching Mars Attacks, which I did many, many times. So I had him boxed into the Vegas crooner category and never explored any of his music. I could name two songs he sang, both were called It's Not Unusual.

Then I watched this show. Right before I turned it on I pulled up the always authoritative Wikipedia to find out more. There were many surprises which I'll get to in a moment but when I read about his wife and that they were married for 59 years it was surprising to me. Seems like "stars" don't typically have a long marriage. I won't necessarily call his successful given some of the antics I read about, but "til death do us part" stuck for them.

Anyway, with that part of his life in mind the song "I'm Growing Old" as performed during this show was a real gut punch! And that's a good thing. I always appreciate music that's personal. Maybe it wasn't personal to him and he's just a good showman but in any case he delivered it well.

As for the surprises:

I had no idea he had recorded country music.

The synthesizer slinking about through the first two songs was COMPLETELY unexpected. Shame on me I guess.

Jones' newest album lists an Ethan Johns in the credits. He plays about 47 instruments on the album apparently but again - super surprised to see mentions of two Moogs, an Arp, and Mellotron in the instrument list. I'll look forward to listening!

Anyway, this post was for no one in particular but I felt the need to type it...
nickle15
Regular

Re: Tom Jones - NPR Show

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:38 pm

He's recorded just about every genre of music at one time or another -- often managing to do so in single takes. He is of the generation that had real well-honed skill and natural talent.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby BJG145 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:49 pm

Nice performance at 81. Lucky man.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:24 pm

I'd strongly recommend checking out his 1999 'Reload' album. It's just brilliant.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby nickle15 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:44 pm

Wonks wrote:I'd strongly recommend checking out his 1999 'Reload' album. It's just brilliant.

I definitely will. Thanks for the tip!
nickle15
Regular

Postby DGL. » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:16 pm

Also "Stoned In Love" with Chicane, the verses don't even sound like him and it's a completely different style of music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbEaQBdVgaQ
DGL.
Frequent Poster

Postby nickle15 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:49 pm

Very different! Catchy tune though.
nickle15
Regular

Postby awjoe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:07 am

NPR tiny desks are one of the musical centers of the planet. Thanks for that link - I really enjoyed it. :thumbup:
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Well, maybe I could take one for the team. But no pictures.

Postby nickle15 » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:50 am

awjoe wrote:NPR tiny desks are one of the musical centers of the planet. Thanks for that link - I really enjoyed it. :thumbup:

Glad to share! I’ve discovered several fantastic artists via tiny desk and I’m always excited when a new episode is released.
nickle15
Regular

Postby awjoe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:17 am

One good turn deserves another. I have no idea what kind of music you like aside from TJ tiny desk, but here's a recent find on Tiny Desk, and I loved it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPBirt1YhuM
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Well, maybe I could take one for the team. But no pictures.

Postby Dave B » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:13 am

I'm guessing that Tom Jones is more a British phenomenon than a 'States one. He's been a mainstay of the music scene here since the 60s. Like a lot of people, he was tragically unfashionable in the 70s but in the late 80s he bounced back (he covered Prince's Kiss with the Art of Noise and it was a brilliant version) and has been an institution ever since.

Famously, Elvis loved him. Can't get higher praise than that...
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby BillB » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:08 am

Wonks wrote:I'd strongly recommend checking out his 1999 'Reload' album. It's just brilliant.

Wow. Just tried having it on 'in the background' whilst doing some work. Bad idea! This is attention-grabbing party music.

Bach to Mozart, I think. :headbang:
BillB
Frequent Poster

Postby ore_terra » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:43 am

Dave B wrote:I'm guessing that Tom Jones is more a British phenomenon than a 'States one. He's been a mainstay of the music scene here since the 60s. Like a lot of people, he was tragically unfashionable in the 70s but in the late 80s he bounced back (he covered Prince's Kiss with the Art of Noise and it was a brilliant version) and has been an institution ever since.

Famously, Elvis loved him. Can't get higher praise than that...

I disagree! He’s definitively global.

... dont you remember Carlton Banks in The Fresh Prince of Bel Air? :lol: :lol:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:46 am

Indeed, If he was well known enough in the US to be a regular Las Vegas act, and to appear as himself in the film 'Mars Attacks', then he's certainly has been well enough known to be classed as 'global'.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby FrankF » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:26 am

A man goes to the doctor, he says, "Doctor, doctor, I don't know what's happening to me: I've grown a hairy chest, sideburns and I've started talking in a Welsh accent.

"Ah", said the doctor, "I think you have Tom Jones syndrome".

"I've never heard of that", says the man, "is it very common?"

The doctor says, "It's not unusual...

Green Green Grass of Home and Delilah are also powerful, evocative songs that transport me back to my childhood.
FrankF
Regular

Next