You are here

AKAI AX80 voltage selector wanted

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

AKAI AX80 voltage selector wanted

Postby Roddy Glen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:37 pm

I have an AKAI AX80 vintage synth. It is an EU/UK model, with a voltage selector for mains input voltage. When moving home, the voltage selector control (like a rotatable knob) fell out and is missing. Two questions: does anyone know where I can get another one? And... if not, what is the safest way of firing it up, without a voltage selector? EG. Would it work if I use a step down transformer (240v to 110v) and feed the mains in across all the terminals? Desperate for help on this! Thanks, Roddy
Roddy Glen

Re: AKAI AX80 voltage selector wanted

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:58 pm

The rotatable plug connects the incoming mains (line and neutral) to the internal mains transformer's two (or more) primaries in the appropriate ways for the supply voltage to ensure the correct output voltages from the transformer secondaries.

It should be possible for a competent technician to rewire the keyboard to bypass the voltage selector completely. The service manual is available online which should reveal the necessary details.
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Roddy Glen » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:18 pm

Hugh, many thanks for the prompt reply. Do you have any advice as to how to find a technician of the right sort? Would they only be reachable through synth magazines, for example? Or might I find the right sort of person in a more general forum - like Gumtree? I ask because I have already had one disappointing episode, where I took the AX80 to a synth player here in Edinburgh, who offered repairs. He returned it saying he found the prospect of trying the permutations (4 voltage settings) too risky.
Roddy Glen

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:25 pm

A decent music gear shop should be able to recommend someone suitable. But if you're in Edinburgh there maybe someone here with a recommendation.

I can't download the service manual at the moment, but I'll take a look tomorrow and see how complex, or not, the fix is.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:25 pm

Roddy Glen wrote:Hugh, many thanks for the prompt reply. Do you have any advice as to how to find a technician of the right sort? Would they only be reachable through synth magazines, for example? Or might I find the right sort of person in a more general forum - like Gumtree? I ask because I have already had one disappointing episode, where I took the AX80 to a synth player here in Edinburgh, who offered repairs. He returned it saying he found the prospect of trying the permutations (4 voltage settings) too risky.
He must have been an extremely inexperienced tech then :shock:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby DGL. » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:25 pm

I've had a look at one service manual online and it would seem connections 3 and 4 (orange and yellow wires) on the voltage selector need shorting for 240V operation.

If you feel you are up to it then that could be done simply with a piece "choc block" which I would then either cover in heat shrink sleeving or insulating tape for extra safety and at potentially glue/attach the connector to part of the case so it is not flapping around in the breeze.
5A rated terminal block would be fine for this application and I would use bootlace ferrules if the cable is stranded as it gives a better connection and reduces the chance of stray wire strands.

You'll naturally want to male sure that the voltage selector is safe and that there is no chance of accessing it's internals externally as it is damaged, again if necessary putting each wire in it's own piece of "choc block" would achieve that, you could even just use one strip and then use a jumper wire between orange and yellow so it is easy to change the voltage at a later date if necessary.

Here is the service manual:
https://archive.org/details/AkaiAX80Ser ... 5/mode/2up
DGL.
Frequent Poster