You are here

Tablets as meter bridge

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Tablets as meter bridge

Postby cjcmusic » Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:29 pm

It may be a bit out there but I've always believed in repurposing old stuff.
So my idea is to use 3 10" tablets as a meter bridge via a DAW, hopefully so they line up with the desk channels on a 24 channel desk.

I've trolled the web and found nothing. So it's either a really bad idea or as I like to think a unique one (maybe!!!)

Any software guys know of anything or if it's at all possible. Software seems to have no limits nowadays. It just needs someone to code it.
cjcmusic

Re: Tablets as meter bridge

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:11 pm

I believe on PreSonus's Studio One Remote app you can display mixer channels (with level meters), and because the app can be used on multiple devices, each one could be set up to slide the display to a different group of channels... however, it would be somewhat cumbersome and would only work with Studio One DAW, and what if you have 64 channels or more?
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS - 10,119 high quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search/all
SOS gear videos, tutorials, studio tours: www.soundonsound.tv

Postby James Perrett » Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:28 pm

It is almost certainly possible - even if you have to resort to the remote desktop protocol to support it. I've used https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.freerdp.afreerdp&hl=en_GB from an Android tablet to various applications on a PC but not for more than one screen at a time. I wouldn't be surprised to find that the Reaper DAW had something built-in as it has all kinds of remote options.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:45 pm

The X32-Mix app has a meters page, Mackie Master Fader 4 has a meters page which also shows fader position, X-Air app also has a meters option superimposed on the fader bank which shows all the meters together. Resolution is not great though and they don't offer the option to zoom in.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby cjcmusic » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:03 am

Thanks all for the quick replies. The main idea was to have an old 24:2 seck desk fed with midi rack models. With android 10" tablets above the desk as meters. If that was possible then expand to 2 24:2 desks
I'm sorry I was not more specific but this is my first post here, and was testing the water so to speak.
cjcmusic