You are here

Garage to Studio conversions - things to consider... (UK)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Garage to Studio conversions - things to consider... (UK)

Postby Sosabba » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:44 pm

Hi all

I'm hoping to move house soon and am currently trawling Rightmove etc looking for a suitable property. Some properties have a decent enough sized room in the house, but others would mean setting up in a garage...

I don't plan to record drums or have rehearsals, so soundproofing is not an issue. It will be more a case of me writing and recording my own stuff. It will also double as a listening room, etc.

What kind of things should I be looking for and thinking about when viewing? If it is single brick I presume I might have to look into insulation, adding a second skim... What other options? Are - as silly as it might sound - do garage tend to be as structurally sound as houses? Heating is something else I will have to think about. Ideally I would have it on the same system as the house.

I'm guessing there must be a load of other things to consider but I can't think what.

I know acoustic treatment will be essential, so that's already covered. And I know the dimensions will also play a big part in that.

Many thanks for any help

Max
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Re: Garage to Studio conversions - things to consider... (UK)

Postby blinddrew » Wed Mar 07, 2018 1:01 pm

Check the roof. Even some of the most solidly-walled garages (which are pretty much always single skin) can have very flimsy roofs. This may be good for dissipating bass energy but it doesn't do much for keeping the sound out or the heat in. Depending on where you are and the exposure of the garage you'll probably want to think about managing your humidity as well.
Worth keeping an eye out for anything that mentions a 'converted garage' as a lot of heat/sound/watertightness may have already been sorted if someone's used it previously as a home office or gym or whatever.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby James Perrett » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:21 pm

Along the lines of Blinddrew's response - have the neighbours converted their garages into livable spaces? Our garage is built to the same standards as the rest of the house so most of our neighbours have converted theirs into utility rooms.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Sosabba » Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:27 pm

Thanks for the replies and things to think about. Much appreciated.
Sosabba
Frequent Poster

Postby jaminem » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 am

If its standalone:

Has it got power?
Is it insulated
Is it ventilated
Whats the floor like? is it a concrete slab? if so you will need to lift the internal floor up so you can get some insulation under otherwise its gonna get very very cold. Now, do you still have enough headroom?
Does it have windows? sitting in a space only lit by electric light is quite unpleasant
What about security of doors and windows? You're gonna have some expensive kit in there?
Is it damp?
Would it be damp if you sealed the garage door off?, do you need an air brick or 2?
Access - can you get stuff in a and out?
jaminem
Frequent Poster