You are here

did PMC use stock tweeters?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

did PMC use stock tweeters?

Postby Lunarcrush » Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:04 am

Hello All !

I'm willing to change my old tweeters on my old IB1S ( from 2000), and PMC charges 300€ and haven't replied for 6 weeks.

Inside they are VIFA D27TG-35-06 with a 803 in bracket at the end.

The Woofers say "made by volt for pmc" but
Do you REALLY think they are modded for PMC or stock Vifas? in that case I'd spend only 100€ for a pair.
Lunarcrush
New here

Re: did PMC use stock tweeters?

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:58 am

The woofers in PMC's monitors are generally models with optimised parameters specifically for PMC because of the requirements of the ATL loading. I'm not sure whether the tweeters are customised at all -- I suspect not, but couldn't guarantee that.

However, what will have been customised is the sensitivity matching of the tweeters and the crossovers, and part of the apparently high price in PMC's quote will be because they will check their production records to ensure that any replacement tweeters have the same sensitivity as those originally fitted to ensure the correct overall response (driver sensitivity can vary considerably between batches).

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Lunarcrush » Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks Hugh,

they reply that it's tweeter 12416 for IB1A. I asked about MK1, MK2 and specified that I have PASSIVE IB1S etc... and they didn't reply, and even the distributor said "if its 12416 dont worry and let s go for it".

It's way weird, and they also said they couldn't trace previous repair on my model, they sort of lost all archives.

and it was 24 September, no tweeter and no news.

I'm really about to put a stock Vifa!
anyway thanks for your help
Lunarcrush
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:24 am

Lunarcrush wrote:Thanks Hugh,

they reply that it's tweeter 12416 for IB1A. I asked about MK1, MK2 and specified that I have PASSIVE IB1S etc... and they didn't reply, and even the distributor said "if its 12416 dont worry and let s go for it".

It's way weird, and they also said they couldn't trace previous repair on my model, they sort of lost all archives.

and it was 24 September, no tweeter and no news.

I'm really about to put a stock Vifa!
anyway thanks for your help

The above indicates to me that you are going to replace just ONE tweeter? Don't!!

The best advice is Hugh's, get the fitting done at the factory and suck up the cost but if that really is not on at least replace the tweeters as a pair and if at all possible, get the suppliers to send matched pairs or at least very close serial numbers.

Worrying that PMC seem rather poor on customer communication* especailly since I am consdiering dropping around £2.5k on them in a year or so!

*But of course we only have one side....

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:47 am

https://www.falconacoustics.co.uk/drive ... eeter.html

Just bought a Scan Speak 100mm bass/mid driver from Falcon, good people.

The Vifa brand is now Peerless and I built a pair of 8" Peerless "domestics" many years ago. I thought they were pretty good.

I think you will find Falcon only supply tweeters in pairs?

Just a thought. What is the impedance of the tweeter? If it is not marked check the DC resistance. (tricky, best to "calibrate" with a 4r7 resistor) The tweeter I found is nominally 6 Ohms but it is possibly that the originals are 4 or 8 even a custom impedance and if so do not fit a different unit, it will throw the frequency balance to the wind!

The data sheet for the Peerless give a DC resistance of 4.9 Ohms.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Lunarcrush » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:15 pm

Thanks guys, of course I will only change for a PAIR of tweeters.

I heard that PMC asks Vifa for tighter values, so like an extra quality control and cherry picked.

I don't really know what PMC actually requires technically from vifa, all I know is that I have no news and I paid 300€. No record of previous repair on my pair either.

Yes my tweeters are 06 ohms D27 TG 3506 from Vifa ( on the left, a tweeter "checked by PMC, on the right the same tweeter but no PMC sticker on it)- certainly has been changed.
they have a 803 at the end of the number model.

The Peerless that MAY be close enough is 80€ a pair, so maybe I'll buy them and
-wether cancel my PMC order
- or received the PMC tweeters and compare, maybe sending them back.
Lunarcrush
New here

Postby Lunarcrush » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:32 pm

Dave you should be fine if you buy a new speaker! It usually doesn't need "support" ;)

My tweeter issue won't be resolved by a "factory fitting'' . They will send me a pair and I'll do it. I was just very curious of what they are but didn't get a real reply or a good price ! ahah

I just order a pair of Peerless TG27 3506 and will go from there.
Lunarcrush
New here

Postby ef37a » Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:53 pm

"Dave you should be fine if you buy a new speaker! It usually doesn't need "support"

Sorry, lost me there L?

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Lunarcrush » Wed Nov 07, 2018 7:57 pm

"Worrying that PMC seem rather poor on customer communication* especailly since I am consdiering dropping around £2.5k on them in a year or so! "

I thought your were buying new speakers with this money! you actually were talking about repair money- or an upgrade? wich PMC speaker do you own?

sorry for the confusion !
Lunarcrush
New here

Postby ef37a » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:35 am

Lunarcrush wrote:"Worrying that PMC seem rather poor on customer communication* especailly since I am consdiering dropping around £2.5k on them in a year or so! "

I thought your were buying new speakers with this money! you actually were talking about repair money- or an upgrade? wich PMC speaker do you own?

sorry for the confusion !

ALMOST certainly this old fool generating chaos! I don't own any PMC speakers. I have a pair of Tannoy 5As and they are pretty good I think but I would like to take a serious step up in monitor quality and was mightily impressed with Hugh's review of the Result 6. The "K.I.S.S. concept appeals to the tekky in me (and I have a DEEP distrust of all things DSP!) . But! Now I read that PMC are possibly a bit delinquent in their customet service? "One swallow" of course and always two sides but worrying.

My other problem (apart from how to finance the operation) is that I keep reading glowing reports of other monitors around the same budget. For instance, for a limit of £2.5k would I be better off with a 2 or 3 way system?

My auditory needs are also a bit special, I am deaf and so whilst high levels are not required, 75-80dB SPL is fine, I need something that has good headroom and can peak to over 100dB with minimal distortion. My hearing is steadily worse (Beachy Head) past ~2kHz so "warm" I do NOT need!

Much depends upon "life" and what I do about my car in the next 12 months or so. (see, No Car, can spend 2k+)

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Lunarcrush » Mon Nov 12, 2018 9:55 am

Ok ! lots of things to decide, better go listen to them.

I emailed PMC about canceling the order, THEN they replied straight away and apologized.

Yet I have received and installed Vifa's ( 79€ a pair) I think I'll be fine with that.
I don't want to bother send them back and wait again for the PMC tweeters.
Lunarcrush
New here