You are here

Circuit board pins to solderable/solderless connectors?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Circuit board pins to solderable/solderless connectors?

Postby Elephone » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Hi. I have a switch that has pins at the back to slot into a circuit board, only I need to solder wires onto them to make a cable. It's a toggle switch but it doesn't have hoops to make soldering easy.

Is there any type of connector that is designed for this, for example that have individual breadboard-style female sleeves that I can solder wires onto the back of?

I've thought of attaching bullet crimp terminals but I'm not sure if they'll be small enough to leave the adjacent pins accessible. I suppose crimped computer PSU connectors might work if I manage to remove the plastic plug from the metal contacts.

Thanks.
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Re: Circuit board pins to solderable/solderless connectors?

Postby zenguitar » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:06 pm

You might find what you need at somewhere like Hobbytonics.

http://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/cables-connectors

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Folderol » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:01 am

If you are floating the switch on a cable, plugs are likely to be very unreliable - unless the switch is in a box with a proper cable clamp. In any case, with a a bit of care, and properly supporting everything, soldering to straight pins shouldn't be a problem and should be quite secure, especially if you slip some heat-shrink sleeves over the wires.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:01 am

^What Mr F says!

Strip and tin the connecting wire to be slightly shorter than the length of the pin. Slide on some heat-shrink sleeving of the appropriate size. Tin the pin and solder the wire to lie neatly along the length of the pin. And finally secure and insulate with the heat shrink sleeving.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Elephone » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:^What Mr F says!

Strip and tin the connecting wire to be slightly shorter than the length of the pin. Slide on some heat-shrink sleeving of the appropriate size. Tin the pin and solder the wire to lie neatly along the length of the pin. And finally secure and insulate with the heat shrink sleeving.

H

Thanks!

Good tinning tips here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRPF4wpXX9Q

...although probably just the wire(?) maybe not a great idea to heat up the switch pins unnecessarily?
Elephone
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:28 pm

It's never a great idea to overheat anything unnecessarily....

But it is a good idea to tin both the pin and wire before soldering them together.

It's just a bad idea to take so long over doing it that the switch pin is overheated with potential (although unlikely) damage to the switch.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound