You are here

DIY acoustic treatment.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: DIY acoustic treatment.

Postby Ethan Winer » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:11 pm

***Content moved to new thread on standing waves here 0VU :)***
Ethan Winer
Regular

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:49 pm

Paul Woodlock
Regular

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 12:58 am

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:33 am

Paul Woodlock

"Greetings Grower and Harvester of Fruit :)

You could do worse than have a look at Mark Edmonds Studio Build Diary http://forum.studiotips.com/viewtopic.php?t=456

It sound absolutely great in there."

Thanks Paul - I will have a look.

"I disgagree (that) the StudioTips 4 Devices Test Data isn't valid for real world use. You don't need a calculator. The data shows a valid comparison of two commercial devices and 2 DIY designs. Of course their are OTHER factors, than sheer acoustic absorption performance, when choosing a method, but absoprtion performance is important none the less."

I will have a look here as well.

"Regarding practical applications. Corner wedge DIY broadband absorption, along with absoprtive panels on the walls/ceiling to diminish early reflections has bee shown to work in practise many times.

Ceiling treatment ( assuming enough available height ) is great!

In fact in my studio build I don't have much height at all, so I am taking this approach......

From the listening position I am building a false ceiling that slopes downwards towards the front wall. No one can stand up in this area anyway, due to it being full of furniture ( DAW Workstaion to be exact ;) ), so the reduced height doesn't matter. This false ceiling will be full of rockwool. It will serve TWO purposes. The thicker rockwool above the false ceiling where the front wall meets the ceiling will be broadband standing wave trapping, and as the sloping ceiling gets higher towards the listening position, the rockwool here will serve as an early reflection absorber 'panel'

So to answer your above question, I would say that the ceiling treatment can be a part of the 'standing wave trapping treatment', and not something that leaves less room for trapping ( as I think? you were asking/indicating. I hesitate to use the word 'bass trapping' as standing waves can affect lo-mid performance as well. :)

Also it's a shame you can't put the Early reflection absorbing panels away from the wall a bit. Is space too tight to even put the 30mm panels so there's a 30mm airgap behind them. You'll lower the freqeuncy of efective absoprtion, plus incrasing absorption performance overall.

Bear in mind that when sound reflects off a wall, the velocity of the air particles is zero at the wall. So that absorption right at the walls surface for reflections is ineffective.

Just some thoughts :)

Paul"

Thanks for your constructive and practical suggestions, they make a lot of sense.

Maybe I will consider moving the panels away from the walls a little. The room sounds good as it is though so it may not be necessary but I may get some test tones and establish if another tweak is needed. Now everything is in place it will probably be possible.

:)

As for the rest of you, with your argument about standing waves, you can feck off to another thread. It really is turning into an argument about semantics and theory. Why does n't one of you start a thread called "what is a standing wave?" and continue the discussion over there?

:madas:

Anyway...the term "standing wave" is misleading as the pressure wave still moves through the air. If it did not then we would hear no sound. The practical point is that the energy from waves at certain frequencies (determined by the dimensions of the room) combines with itself resulting in notes at these frequencies sounding too loud. An effective acoustic treatment needs to absorb enough sound energy to result in a room that has an even response across the frequencies. There are various ways of doing this, which is what I am interested in.

thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul Woodlock » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:04 am

Greetings James

Anyway...the term "standing wave" is misleading as the pressure wave still moves through the air. If it did not then we would hear no sound.

Sorry, but with a standing wave the various points of pressure remain at the same location. With a travelling wave, such as that in air caused by a vibrating speaker cone, the points of pressure move.

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Regular

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:14 am

Anyway...the term "standing wave" is misleading as the pressure wave still moves through the air. If it did not then we would hear no sound. The practical point is that the energy from waves at certain frequencies (determined by the dimensions of the room) combines with itself resulting in notes at these frequencies sounding too loud. An effective acoustic treatment needs to absorb enough sound energy to result in a room that has an even response across the frequencies. There are various ways of doing this, which is what I am interested in.

One thing about a standing wave is that it doesn't really "move" through the air. Even so, one can still hear sound that exists in standing waves (unless one is at a node).

energy from waves at certain frequencies (determined by the dimensions of the room) combines with itself resulting in notes at these frequencies sounding too loud

Or too soft, (or even occasionally the right level, and other points inbetween) depending upon where one is in relation to the wave's cycle. Standing waves also can have different dynamic characteristics from the travelling wave component of what you hear. This can possibly most obvious with frequencies which "ring" or hanging on/decay more slowly (amongst other effects) in comparison to other frequencies.

There are various ways of doing this, which is what I am interested in.

Me too :)

The editing I did in the posts above was simply to move them to a new thread as they were wandering off topic. No-one was arguing, it was just hijacking this thread with something that was better off elsewhere. 0VU :)

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:28 am

0VU wrote:***OI!, Max, Bloody well behave yourself and stop winding up the residents! You're making a fair and important point which, for the record, I completely agree with, but you're not making it like the polite, friendly and considerate chap I know you are. I know it's important and we share some very strong feelings on health and safety matters but you still need to make the point properly or you undermine it's validity.
Now be a good boy or Santa won't be bringing you a nice new PC to replace all those dodgy old Macs ;) :bouncy: 0VU :) ***

It's a fair cop Guv..... But santa can take his poxy P(iecesof)C(rap) and shove them right down the throat of Steinbugs support.....

Not being terribly dyslexic, I sold my soul to a less Xmassy anthropomorphic personification.

although I still can't quite bring myself to believe in the existence of Dog.

Best regards matey, we Must do dinner again soon......

Max "Scrooge Mc Mac"
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Guest » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:59 am

But santa can take his poxy P(iecesof)C(rap) and shove them right down the throat of Steinbugs support.....

Not being terribly dyslexic, I sold my soul to a less Xmassy anthropomorphic personification.

although I still can't quite bring myself to believe in the existence of Dog.

Best regards matey, we Must do dinner again soon......

Max "Scrooge Mc Mac"
ROFL :bouncy:

yep - food - sooner the better. Though I've a sneaking feeling that it'll have to wait until after Christmas, what with all the "I must have it finished for Christmas" comments that I keep hearing :roll: Half of them from people who haven't even started yet! Oh, and the first person to mention bass traps pays for pudding! :headbang:

And repeat after me...."PC means Proper Computer, Mac means raincoat" :tongue: ;)

I'll get me Mac :tongue: :beamup:

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu Dec 16, 2004 3:15 am

....Atari..... :bouncy:
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

PreviousNext