You are here

DIY Bass Traps

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: DIY Bass Traps

Postby Ethan Winer » Tue Oct 19, 2004 4:37 pm

> What frequency range would RW5 rockwool panel's on the wall and in the corners of a room, roughly absorb. <

I'm not familiar with RW5 or other non-USA model numbers. What kind of material is it - rigid or fluffy? How thick? How dense?

--Ethan
Ethan Winer
Regular

Postby Digipenguin » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:36 pm

Digipenguin
Regular
John D. Geisen Owner DPS

Postby valley » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:31 pm

I'm about to make some DIY bass traps/broadband absorbers based on the ideas given in this forum, and I was thinking of sticking some standard auralex accoustic tiles over the front of the trap to tidy up its' appearance and blend it into the overall room look.

Is this a bad idea? Will the foam interfere with the bass absorbtion properties of the device? I'm not yet at any risk of over damping the highs in the room.
valley

Postby Guest » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:23 pm

Will the foam interfere with the bass absorbtion properties of the device?

If you're using panel traps, putting foam tiles on the front will increase the mass of the the panel, altering it's performance.

It'll have virtually no effect on the LF performance of a broadband trap; LF will pass straight through the foam and into the trap as normal. Arguably there's not much point in covering a broadband trap with foam; if you simply front it with fabric it'll act as a pretty efficent mid/HP absorber without the expense of foam. You might, however, find that the broadband trap has a different mid/HF absorption spectrum from any adjacent foam covered areas. If it bothers you, there's no real harm in adding some foam on the front of the broadband trap. It won't do anything problematic to the LF performance.

Postby valley » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:01 am

0VU wrote:It won't do anything problematic to the LF performance.

Thanks. :)
valley

Postby Guest » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:41 am

Quote 0VU:
It won't do anything problematic to the LF performance.

Thanks.

Of a broadband trap ;)

Panel traps will be affected by absorbers stuck to the panel. Whether or not it's a negative will depend upon whether it was allowed for in the spec./design of the trap.

Postby valley » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:31 pm

0VU wrote:
Quote 0VU:
It won't do anything problematic to the LF performance.

Thanks.

Of a broadband trap ;)

Panel traps will be affected by absorbers stuck to the panel. Whether or not it's a negative will depend upon whether it was allowed for in the spec./design of the trap.

Yeah, I figured that. I'm going to go with a broadband trap design.

I have sloping ceilings on both sides of the room, and my mixing desk is mounted perpendicular to the slopes, which in that room is the only choice I have). I figure any attempt to tune trapping is doomed to failure, especially as I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'll try a broadband trap and aim to hoover up as much corner bass as possible...
valley

PreviousNext