You are here

If you have a top floor flat... how much sound travels through the floor?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: If you have a top floor flat... how much sound travels through the floor?

Postby The Beatsmith » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:30 am

hi guys

alas, the place is nto available until mid decemberish - too long to wait

how does the sound travel in a flat on the GROUND floor of one of these old victorian places? there seem to be many of these around.

i have said that sound insulation is important for me to the estate agents, but i didn't tell them i plan on making a racket, they assume i'm a miserable git that wants peace and quiet etc

thanks guys
The Beatsmith
Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:57 am

The Beatsmith wrote:hi guys

how does the sound travel in a flat on the GROUND floor of one of these old victorian places? there seem to be many of these around.

Sound is omni-directional, especially bass.

If you live in a first floor flat you can still hear sound made in the flat below. There may be slightly less transmission if the speakers are on stands as the speakers will be connected to the floor of the first floor flat which is the ceiling of the flat below. In the case of a ground floor flat the speakers on stands will connected to the floor above the foundations so there will be slightly less sound transmission through the structure of the building.

To get effective sound insulation you need an airtight barrier of high mass and high absorbtion. In practice this is quite hard to do and expensive too. Esmono booth perhaps?

Beatsmith - I suggest you wait a while for the right property to become available (ie one with no neighbours) rather than attempt to sound insulate a flimsy building. Believe me - I tried it and it is not worth the hassle. If the neighbour is that way inclined they can get Environmental Health involved quite easily and you could, eventually, find yourself at the end of a prosecution for noise nuisance.

My estate agent told me flats above shops are less desirable than flats above other flats so you should be able to find one without too much bother when someone moves to a more desirable property.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Downing » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:24 am

This won't be relevant if you're looking at Victorian properties, but I lived a while in a new development built by Belway and it was blissfully quiet. My racket didn't seem to travel to the neighbours and I didn't hear anything from them - further imporved by good double glazing.

Converseley a friend had a flat in a flat built by Barratt and it was terrible - he could hear his neighbours every move. It didn't help that they put in laminate floors and wore wooden clogs. Honestly - I kid you not. Some people, huh?

Matt
Matt Downing
Poster

Postby The Beatsmith » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:02 pm

thefruitfarmer wrote:
The Beatsmith wrote:hi guys

Sound is omni-directional, especially bass.

If you live in a first floor flat you can still hear sound made in the flat below. There may be slightly less transmission if the speakers are on stands as the speakers will be connected to the floor of the first floor flat which is the ceiling of the flat below. In the case of a ground floor flat the speakers on stands will connected to the floor above the foundations so there will be slightly less sound transmission through the structure of the building.

To get effective sound insulation you need an airtight barrier of high mass and high absorbtion. In practice this is quite hard to do and expensive too. Esmono booth perhaps?

Beatsmith - I suggest you wait a while for the right property to become available (ie one with no neighbours) rather than attempt to sound insulate a flimsy building. Believe me - I tried it and it is not worth the hassle. If the neighbour is that way inclined they can get Environmental Health involved quite easily and you could, eventually, find yourself at the end of a prosecution for noise nuisance.

My estate agent told me flats above shops are less desirable than flats above other flats so you should be able to find one without too much bother when someone moves to a more desirable property.

thanks mate

thing is, beggars can't be choosers, and there is prety much nothing going. i dunno if i can be precious enough to try to be looking for places with decent acoustic properties (try explaining that one to your sisters friend who's getting fed up with you being in her house...)

i'll keep lookin!

it's not even that i play my music loud, i just reckon half these places would be really bad even when listening at low levels

anyway, are you telling me you don't wear clogs matt?
The Beatsmith
Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Wed Oct 20, 2004 3:28 pm

The Beatsmith wrote:

thanks mate

thing is, beggars can't be choosers, and there is prety much nothing going. i dunno if i can be precious enough to try to be looking for places with decent acoustic properties (try explaining that one to your sisters friend who's getting fed up with you being in her house...)

i'll keep lookin!

it's not even that i play my music loud, i just reckon half these places would be really bad even when listening at low levels

yw

I don't play music loud either but it was loud enough for it gradually to give my neighbour the hump after a few years.

You always wait until they go out, use headphones or just be prepared to row with them. I always made the case to my neighbour that it was my flat and I was entitled to make a certain amount of noise. I even spoke to Environmental Health who indicated that when considering the volume and times I was making music that they would be very unlikely to be able to assemble sufficient evidence to go for a prosecution.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Downing » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:59 pm

The Beatsmith wrote:anyway, are you telling me you don't wear clogs matt?
'Fraid I can't fit the clogs over my full suit of plate-mail armour.

But my horse wears them when he's in the house.
Matt Downing
Poster

Postby Escapee Planes » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:13 pm

I live in a top floor flat, and it's safe as er, a um, It's SAFE alright?

The guy below me is hard of hearing and there is noone above, the only problem is my girlfriend and her headaches!
Escapee Planes
New here

Postby The real musiclover » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:08 am

Not tonight darling!

Ground floor flats in south london are plentiful, cause, c'mon, who wants to be burgled? (leave address here)
The real musiclover
Regular

Postby The Beatsmith » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:22 am

exactly why i didn't originally want a ground floor flat in the first place

so i'm going to see one today :roll:

and a two bed 1st floor victorian house flat type jobbie which is WAY over my budget but there was nothing else to see

great :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
The Beatsmith
Poster

Options?

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:41 am

There is always the house share option with similar minded people.

It will be cheaper than your own place and if someone is nearly always in there will be less chance of getting the burglers around.

8-)
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Re: Options?

Postby The Beatsmith » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:55 am

tried that mate!

seen three already. putting aside the fact tha ti wouldn't wanna leave all my gear with strangers when i'm at work, the rooms have all been tiny... it's a bad time of the year as it's a very studenty town and the students have taken all the places already!

i sound like a broken record, and seem to be rejecting everyones suggestions, i know - but i do appreciate it. getting a bit desperate now - although my sisters friends don't mind me staying etc.
The Beatsmith
Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 10:19 am

The Beatsmith wrote:

i sound like a broken record, and seem to be rejecting everyones suggestions, i know - but i do appreciate it.

Hope you find somewhere suitable soon!

:)

It is a complex problem where quite a few things have to fall into place for a solution to be found. There is no quick and easy answer really - just some options better than others.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt Downing » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:33 pm

Hang in there Beatsmith,

Looking for a flat when you're in a hurry and on a tight budget is the most demoralising, angst-ridden hard work ever. It really, really sucks.

So good luck and don't let the bastards grind you down.

Matt
Matt Downing
Poster

Postby The Beatsmith » Wed Nov 03, 2004 11:58 am

hi guys,found a flat :)

it's much more expensive than what i wanted to pay but

it's a purpose built building so the floors are all concrete. got a 1st floor and security is excellent

only problem is it's not gonna leave me with much cash to buy anything let alone spend £300 on a desk! and monitors... yadda yadda

will give more info when i'm actually in there, next week...

cheers!
The Beatsmith
Poster

Previous