You are here

Creating a false ceiling as a huge bass trap?!?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Creating a false ceiling as a huge bass trap?!?

Postby Paul Woodlock » Tue Nov 30, 2004 5:34 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:Great contributions Paul. I'm sure everyone here will find your suggestions useful. However, can I gently suggest a little more moderation when it comes to some of the other comments:

Paul Woodlock wrote: And now he can hear how bad the 824's really are in a well treated room, he's going to uprade them ASAP too ;)

I know there's a smiley face there, but this is hardly a constructive or objective comment, and is likely to cause an unwarranted degree of unrest in several quarters.

If you happen not to like the performance of the HR824s, that's fine. If your budget allows you (or your friends) to purchase far more accurate (and more expensive) monitors, that's fine too.

However, I think most would agree that for the money the HR824s offer a very respectable performance compared to the immediate competition. Sure, if compared to serious high-end three-way active systems the 824s exhibit deficiencies. But it's all a matter of perspective and budgetry restrictions -- compared to lower budget monitors the Mackie HR824s represent a significant boost in quality, and since people tend to upgrade in stages over time, this is a far more relevant point.

I'm not a Mackie user and I'm not trying to wave a banner in favour of Mackie. These comments could apply equally to many other monitors. However, I don't think it fair to castigate a product in this way without making it clear that it is a personal and subjective opinion, and in an appropriate context.

hugh

Greetings Hugh :)

Sorry, I tend to take for granted that forum comments are always the poster's own opinion.

Yes, my 824 comments are PURELY MY OWN OPINION. I had a pair on appro for some weeks once, and listening to the pair at Mark's place confirmed my distaste for them. But again my OWN opinion.

....and is likely to cause an unwarranted degree of unrest in several quarters.

........and similarly if I'd said the 824's were the BEST Monitors in the WORLD :)

Anyway, I think it's important that individuals CAN have a voice for their own opinions here, but you're right, it's also important to stress that the opinion IS a personal one.

So rather than take that for granted, I will make a point of providing an 'IMO disclaimer' the next time I say something bad ( Or good ) about a product.

Cheers :)

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Regular

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:03 pm

Paul Woodlock wrote: Anyway, I think it's important that individuals CAN have a voice for their own opinions here, but you're right, it's also important to stress that the opinion IS a personal one.

So rather than take that for granted, I will make a point of providing an 'IMO disclaimer' the next time I say something bad ( Or good ) about a product.

Thanks Paul. Sorry to be heavy, but after posting so much good authorative advice about room treatment, the Mackie comment might have been taken in the same authorative way, which I know wasn't what you had intended.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Scott R. Foster » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:44 pm

Lain:

Can you mount your mixing desk on casters and pull it off the wall far enough to make your triangle equilateral when working, and roll it back when you need to take a nap in the pull out bed?

:headbang:
Scott R. Foster
Regular

Postby Paul Woodlock » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:30 am

Foz wrote:Hugh:

Ya Paul's a snob!

;)

ROFL!! Now that is funny. Extremely funny actally :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know you had your tongue in someone's cheek when ya said it, but I'm the FURTHEST from being a snob as anyone could get. I have a beat up car, and fart loudly in supermarkets for starters.

Cheers though! I've been smiling about that comment all day ;)

Of course if Paul would like to send me his monitors for an extended season of destructive testing, I am ready to be proved wrong.

I rest my case :lol: :lol:

Paul
Paul Woodlock
Regular

Postby Scott R. Foster » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:52 pm

Paul Woodlock wrote:I rest my case :lol: :lol:

PFFFFFAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHRRRT!

:beamup:
Scott R. Foster
Regular

Postby MarkEdmonds » Tue Dec 07, 2004 2:19 pm

Hugh Robjohns wrote:
Thanks Paul. Sorry to be heavy, but after posting so much good authorative advice about room treatment, the Mackie comment might have been taken in the same authorative way, which I know wasn't what you had intended.

Hugh

Hugh - I generally share Paul's views on the HR824s (strictly IMO of course!). However, I would add that they can sound surprisingly good in a treated room and as my studio room has been balanced round the characteristics of the 824s, I would challenge anyone to get them sounding better!

The real message and moral is though: build your foundations first - get the treatment done and then you can justify looking at top level monitoring solutions.

Mark (probably guilty of stating the obvious).
MarkEdmonds
New here

Previous