You are here

PAT testing - Is it legally required

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: PAT testing - Is it legally required

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:35 pm

One precaution I took at my last but one employer was not to use my normal initial..Still my name! But I included the first letter of my middle name.

Since I was testing 100 or so production items a month I did not want anything coming on top with my monica forged on it!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby agent funk » Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:26 pm

One thing to add (sorry if someone already has lots of replys here) is that I must say the testers do work in many situations where a visual test alone wouldn't have found the fault. Just in case some people might think they are a waste of time. Besides the obvious one of the earth connection hanging on by a single strand - passing the high current through burns it out and you get the fail - there is also the insulation test. The tester puts a high voltage across the connections and can spot many potential problems such as a hairline crack in the insulation of the wires, esp where they have rubbed on a chassis screw or fitting. There might be no connection, but the high voltage arcs across revealing the potential trouble. Of course you still have to use your eyes to find the fault, which can take awhile!, but at least you have confidence in it once it passes.

Some equipment might not like the insulation test, but I think most high voltage stuff would benefit from it. Not even sure if it's part of the PAT "test", even though the testing equipment can do it.
agent funk
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:13 pm

Looking to get some kit re-tested at the moment and getting some quotes, obviously one question is "how many bits of kit to be tested?"
I have done some reading around but it's not clear if a cable and a unit are tested separately or together?
I.e. if I have an amp that has a non-captive cable (standard IEC) then is that two tests or one?
Thanks
Drew
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:07 pm

blinddrew wrote:I have done some reading around but it's not clear if a cable and a unit are tested separately or together?

They should be tested, logged, and labelled as the entirely separate electrical items that they are.

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby blinddrew » Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:56 pm

I thought as much. I shall double my estimate...
Thanks Hugh :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Previous