You are here

How do I soundproof the metal garage door my car fits through (Usually)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

How do I soundproof the metal garage door my car fits through (Usually)

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:47 am

HI,

Im turning my garage into a recording studio.

Its a single car garage. Im doing this on a shoe string budget. Ideally Id brick the garage front up but this will cost a fortune so I must find a way to work with the tin vehicle entrance typical UK garage door.

The plan is the usual to make a room within a room with a 6" gap between the outer wall and the new inner sound wall I will make. Im sure this will work just fine for everywhere bar the front metal entrance.

The Achilles heal has to be the metal door. Yes it will have the same sound wall in-front of it but im certain this won't be enough. I mean the side walls go out to brick not tin.

Is there anything I can fix to the inside of the metal door to sound proof it? I am not needing to use the door again.

Any advice appreciated.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: How do I soundproof the metal garage door my car fits through (Usually)

Postby Neokoenig » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:30 am

Surely bricking it up is one of the cheaper options? (assuming you have an exterior door on another wall already?)
Might be worth seeing how much breeze blocks are compared to actual bricks?
Neokoenig
Regular

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:36 am

Hi Tom, how are you?

Bricking it up is a permanent thing. And my little piranha fish of a wife is concerned we either leave it as a garage (So no permanent changes) , or we turn it into a room that then is used as my studio what will cost a bomb.

Its all down to putting value on the house or by removing a garage and turning it into nothing more than a box room studio will detract. To be honest, I feel she is right.

So, due to budget and house value concerns the tin door must stay.

Id guess paying for a brick wall and a brick layer though would be miles more than clagging some insulating materials on the inside? No?
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:22 am

Kolakube wrote:Bricking it up is a permanent thing.

Not with a big hammer it's not!

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:31 am

Wont that damage the surrounding brick work? And then there is the further expense of putting a new garage door back on there?
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:38 am

Leave the garage door on. Build a skin inside -- whether of brick, block, or timber studding with multiple layers of plasterboard and green glue. No real need to tie brick or blobkwork into the existing walls -- there are ways and means of making the structure secure but easily removable.

If you take the door off you're into the world of planning permissions which might not be a good thing!

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 27, 2011 1:08 pm

Ah right, sorry I didn't think you meant that, I thought you meant with bricks and concrete.

I was thinking about gluing a load of fabric to the back of the door. Like a insulation skin. Then six inches of that, the usual rockwool in plasterboard sandwich, then six inches of that yet another sandwich. I would only do this along the front of the garage with the tin door as it will eat too much space from my single garage other wise but feel it is necessary at the front.

Do you think this would do? I have never took on anything like this before so its all just theory.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Exalted Wombat » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:57 pm

Kolakube wrote:Ah right, sorry I didn't think you meant that, I thought you meant with bricks and concrete.

I was thinking about gluing a load of fabric to the back of the door. Like a insulation skin. Then six inches of that, the usual rockwool in plasterboard sandwich, then six inches of that yet another sandwich. I would only do this along the front of the garage with the tin door as it will eat too much space from my single garage other wise but feel it is necessary at the front.

Do you think this would do? I have never took on anything like this before so its all just theory.

If you're going to leave the metal door, making the space easily convertible back to a garage, take care not to destroy it!
Exalted Wombat
Jedi Poster
You don't have to write songs. The world doesn't want you to write songs. It would probably prefer it if you didn't. So write songs if you want to. Otherwise, dont. Go fishing instead.

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:25 pm

an internal masonry skin can be tied in to the existing brickwork using metal wall starter plates, these bolt to the existing wall, and have arms that bend down to tie in to the new brickwork...

thus, if you need to knock down and remove later, they can still be easily removable if required .

once that's done, like the thing with an internal room within room, and a floated floor and away you go.

gluing material to anything won't help.

that's not theory, it's ill informed guessing.
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Kolakube » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:50 pm

Thanks Max,

Would you be able to link me to one of these internal masonry skin so I can get a feel for what im looking for.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:04 am

If you don't build a brick or block wall then you'll also have to consider how to make the thing weather tight. I can remember how water used to get blown underneath my old up-and-over garage door.

Regarding cost. I converted my single garage (which is integral to the house) about 5 years ago now. Bricked up the front and put in a window. Split the garage into an office / studio at the front with a small utility room at the back and a stud wall / door in between. Radiator added to existing central heating system, walls plastered etc. Went for a reliable builder rather than looking for the cheapest quote. Costs were;

Plans, planning permission, building regs fees - £379
Builder (inc plaster, elecs, radiator etc)- £4882
Scree floor (required by building inspector) - £188

I should really add to this the cost of a bigger garden shed which was needed to house all the stuff that came out of the garage.

Chris
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Kolakube » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:35 pm

Hi Music Wolf,

All as I can say is your idea of a single garage must be way bigger than mine :angel: I have room for no partitions.

You raise a good point re weather proofing the tin door. Sure my builder would have though of it but thanks for mentioning it.

I have no where near 5K, hence the tin door staying on.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Paul881 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:10 pm

what Max means is that you build a wall behind your garage door and to tie it in to your existing garage wall sides using a steel plate screwed to your side walls that have metal ties/loops that protrude and your builder can use them to tie them into the mortar on you new wall.

This link gives you an idea:

http://www.catnic.com/wall_starter_kits.aspx

That way, when you come to move, you can remove the wall easily and apart from a few screw holes, your garage side walls are intact.
Paul881
Regular

Postby Kolakube » Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:21 pm

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the explanation. I am going to put two plasterboard / rockwool / plasterboard walls behind the tin door anyhow.

But I cannot help think that there must be something I can stick to the inside of the tin door that cannot hurt. Any suggestions appreciated.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:33 am

Kolakube wrote:
But I cannot help think that there must be something I can stick to the inside of the tin door that cannot hurt.

No there isn't.

You would be wasting your money if you tried.

One other thing to think about - the walls that you propose don't like to be wet. As has been said already, rain can creep under garage doors and make the bottom of the walls damp which could eventually cause them to rot. They will also be much more expensive to build than a block wall and not be as effective sound-wise.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby zzalsar9 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:29 pm

The percentage of 'single' garages that will never ever have a car inside them again must be quite high. Surely most people just use them for storage now anyway. I dont know anyone who uses their garage for a car. They just dont fit. Especially if you want to be able to get in and out of the car doors without having a hernia. Cars are wider. The reason I mention all of this that I'm not sure how much value is lost by making changes that prevent it being used for a car in future.
zzalsar9
New here

Postby Kolakube » Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:17 pm

Hi James, yeah I see what your all saying but my pocket doesn't want to believe :]

ZZalsar - Yes this is so true. Whilst we can get our car in ur garage even mr muscle would be too fat to get out of the car other tha climb through the window.

Thats also what worries me, what does it do to the value of the house. I suppose swapping out a garage for another bedroom or study cannot be bad though.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby Tony Raven » Wed Aug 31, 2011 5:41 am

Over here, the city officials have a collective fit if they catch wind of such conversions. There's this fear that you're planning to rent it out to a family of immigrants or some such. So anything permanent might draw a cold, hard eye. A friend wanted to insulate her garage walls for a part-time painting studio, & the inspectors not only impeded the project, but threatened her with forcible demolition if she went ahead.

From a practical standpoint: stabilise that door!! It'll rattle & buzz at the damndest of times, & you might find that it destroys some otherwise ideal tracks.

If I was going to do a short-term project in such a space, I'd try to find a few old (preferably not too disgusting) mattresses to dampen the door's vibrations & offer sound insulation. I'd also have a few tastefully placed fire extinguishers.... But barring unfortunate conflagrations, I'd probably have the session done before the deputies arrived. ;)
Tony Raven
Regular
resident troublemaker, http://forum.frugalguitarist.com/

Postby James Perrett » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:21 am

Tony Raven wrote:Over here, the city officials have a collective fit if they catch wind of such conversions. There's this fear that you're planning to rent it out to a family of immigrants or some such.

I'm not sure where you are Tony but in the UK this isn't normally a problem. You often don't even need planning permission - just building regulations approval to make sure that you build things to the right standard. We live in a road where the houses have attached garages and many people have converted the garages into living accomodation.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:30 pm

Since the door is steel it has high density and is therefore a good sound "stop". The problem is it rings and so the first job is to stick damping material to the inside, car panel felt should be ideal?
Then as Hugh said, build a stud wall about 150mm from it and fill the void with rockwool or similar. Drop the door for the "last time" and snot or foam all around it.

If you use modern no nails quick grab glues you could probably fix the whole stud frame to the wall without screws. If you sell the place, a weekend with Hughs' Manchester precision screwdriver should have it all down, lick o paint. Job's another good'un.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Next