You are here

How do I soundproof the metal garage door my car fits through (Usually)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: How do I soundproof the metal garage door my car fits through (Usually)

Postby Kolakube » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:13 pm

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the explanation. Appreciated. Makes more sense now what Im to do.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: How do I soundproof the metal garage door my car fits through (Usually)

Postby Resevalou » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:48 am

I know it's an old thread, but maybe it will be a timely resurrection for someone.

If at all possible, do not connect whatever you do to the inside to the outside or the structure of the garage. Hanging the carpet in front of the wall is better than gluing it to the wall. Some people have had success with pieces of drywall leaned against the existing wall.

The concept is that the soundwaves in the room will cause the surface they hit (the inside wall) to vibrate. You want to kill that vibration as much as possible before it transfers to the outside surface (the outside wall of the garage) where it radiates to the neighbors.

Consider a drum. The batter head is the inside of your room and the reso is the outside of the garage. You want to keep one from activating the other. Heavier heads vibrate less so less it transmitted. Putting damping materials IN BETWEEN them absorbs some sound before it gets re-radiated. If you split the shell into physically separate parts with no connection between them, then the only thing that would transmit the sound would be the air in between.

The fundamentals are a difficult to vibrate inner surface (high mass with good natural damping [think of an old oil filled Evans Hydraulic head]) isolation and absorption to limit the vibrations getting through, and another difficult to vibrate outer surface.

Stuff on the inside is just acoustic treatment to make it sound decent to folks inside.

Now the killer thing with a drum or band room is the low frequencies are much harder to damp or isolate. The best low frequency isolation I've found are these clips https://mechanicguides.com/best-garage-door-rollers/ The rubber based ones have a higher isolation rating in the mid frequencies, but these are more compliant and hence work better at low frequencies.

Loose or floopy walls have a higher compliance and absorb low frequencies better. So some of the conventional soundproofing wisdom about very stiff high mass walls doesn't give as much bang for the buck in a drum room. I know one drummer who got hold of lead filled drywall used in medical x-ray rooms. A single layer of that far outperforms multiple layers of conventional drywall.

The Quietrock laminated drywall is expensive compared to doing your own with Green Glue. I suspect that all of this is outside your budget.

The best reasonable thing I could offer would be to put together walls with the steel framing studs that you find at Home Depot on 24" centers and put 5/8 drywall on the inside with as much insulation as you can afford on between that and the outside walls of the garage (with any inside drywall on the garage removed so that there is only the inner wall of your room and the outer wall of the garage, multiple layers of wall (called leaves in the trade) only catch and retransmit the sound better). Do as close a job as you can to this on the ceiling. You may have to resort to a basic suspended ceiling.

Then get some sheets of Owens Corning 703 rigid fiberglass insulation, or rockwool rigid insulation if it's available where you live, cover them in cotton and put them on the inside walls and ceiling of your room. I suspect proper Auralex is also out of your budget. DO NOT put foam mattress pads or the like inside your room. They are flammable and the smoke will knock you out before you can get out of the room. Look up the Great White club fire. You and your gear are more important than that. Even suspended ceiling panels glued to the walls would help. That's what they used in many old studios in the '60s. Too much of this though and the room will sound weird and claustrophobic because this stuff absorbs mostly high frequencies and leaves the low frequencies there. Such rooms have a heavy rumbly feel to them and are not pleasant to be in.
Resevalou

Previous