You are here

D.I.Y. MIDI/5-pin DIN to stereo mini Jack leads

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

D.I.Y. MIDI/5-pin DIN to stereo mini Jack leads

Postby db73 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:29 pm

I want to make my own MIDI to jack leeds for use with an IK iRig MIDI interface. I'm a bit unsure about how the cables are soldered to the connectors. I've found a page that shows how to solder the cables to the MIDI connector (only 3 of the 5 pins are used). But I'm not sure about the stereo jack end. Does anyone know? This is what I am trying to make;

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=4723

Cheers ;)
db73
Regular

Re: D.I.Y. MIDI/5-pin DIN to stereo mini Jack leads

Postby James Perrett » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:44 pm

IK seem to be using custom cables which need to be specially made. I've never seen anyone else use jack connectors for MIDI. IK don't seem to have any info on their website so it might be worth contacting them to find out the pin assignments on their connectors. There is also a guy from IK (Brian?) who posts advertising blurb here from time to time so maybe he'll pop up and post something helpful.

The cable you linked to was for audio, not MIDI, and certainly won't work as MIDI uses a different pin combination to audio.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby db73 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 7:30 pm

Thanks for the reply, James. I did email IK but they just replied back saying that they would be selling these at some point soon! They didn't respond to the bit I put in about connector soldering connections to make my own cables. I might email back requesting the information again.

In the mean time I've ordered a male to male MIDI cable (which I'm going to splice in half) and a couple of 2.5mm stereo connectors. I'm half tempted to butcher one of the supplied MIDI to stereo 2.5mm mini jack connectors to see how they are connected :tongue:
db73
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:41 pm

db73 wrote:I'm half tempted to butcher one of the supplied MIDI to stereo 2.5mm mini jack connectors to see how they are connected :tongue:

Resist the temptation, use a multimeter or similar to identify which MIDI pins the tip, ring, and sleeve of the minijack are connected to.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:50 am

Since MIDI uses pin 2 as shield and pins 4&5 for data (the shield is not a "return" as for audio and is not in fact needed for data transfer) it is hard to imagine the 2.5mm jack being wired to anything other than sleeve shield, tip and ring data?

James is correct, that jack in the link will be wired to pins 1&3 if it is a mono in and out but alternatively 1&4 or 5&3 if just a stereo in or out cable, none of which will work for MIDI.
However if you are being ripped a bit for the "proper" leads you could chop the DIN off and wire one to the right configuration.

Personally however I would make up a DIN inline socket to plug lead and work out the "translation" of the wires. Then you can convert any and all you find.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby db73 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:32 pm

Cheers guys. Great idea about using a multimeter. I borrowed one in work this morning & worked this out.

This is how the cable is wired up (if anyone is interested);

db73
Regular

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Told ya!

BORROWED a meter? C'mon, don't be cheap...http://www.maplin.co.uk/manual-ranging- ... test-44679.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby db73 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:37 pm

ef37a wrote:Told ya!

BORROWED a meter? C'mon, don't be cheap...http://www.maplin.co.uk/manual-ranging- ... test-44679.

Dave.
You're right. I should buy one really. Handy to have for cable testing & I keep wanting to get into electronics at a basic level ....... working my way up to build my own analogue mono-synth, which I will use to take over the World. MMUUHUUHAAAAA!!! :bouncy:
db73
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm

Good luck in taking over the world - I'm sure it will be a nicer place than it is now under your leadership 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby ef37a » Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:46 pm

db73 wrote:

Dave.
You're right. I should buy one really. Handy to have for cable testing & I keep wanting to get into electronics at a basic level ....... working my way up to build my own analogue mono-synth, which I will use to take over the World. MMUUHUUHAAAAA!!! :bouncy:

Ha! For cable checking best get a meter with an audible bleep, so much quicker I find. Or build your own bleeping continuity tester!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:26 pm

ef37a wrote:
db73 wrote:

Dave.

Ha! For cable checking best get a meter with an audible bleep, so much quicker I find. Or build your own bleeping continuity tester!

Dave.
Well, OK, but there's no need to swear :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby db73 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:15 am

Got the 2.5mm jack plugs in the post today. Erm, not what I expected to see inside! Where are the soldering points for the tip & ring?! Is that them in the middle of that black plastic part? Guess I'll have to get the multi-meter on this as well.

db73
Regular

Postby db73 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:06 am

..... I'm assuming it's like this (not got the multimeter on this yet);

db73
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 pm

Use the meter, but my guess is that you have the ground to the sleeve correct and the tip and ring reversed.

zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Folderol » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:00 pm

zenguitar wrote:Use the meter, but my guess is that you have the ground to the sleeve correct and the tip and ring reversed.

Bang on the money.

Unfortunately that plug looks like those evil nickel plated ones that are a nightmare to solder :frown:

You absolutely must put it in a tight fitting socket of some sort before attempting to solder it or the plastic will deform and the thing will become useless!

If it is that hard shiny nickel plating I also recommend filing down to the underlying brass with a needle file.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:08 am

Folderol wrote:
zenguitar wrote:Use the meter, but my guess is that you have the ground to the sleeve correct and the tip and ring reversed.

Bang on the money.

Unfortunately that plug looks like those evil nickel plated ones that are a nightmare to solder :frown:

You absolutely must put it in a tight fitting socket of some sort before attempting to solder it or the plastic will deform and the thing will become useless!

If it is that hard shiny nickel plating I also recommend filing down to the underlying brass with a needle file.

Yea, and having filed, degrease with ISOPROPA or similar before attempting to solder. NB, you DO have 60/40 LEAD solder don't you? If you try this with Pbfree, as Will says, melted mess.
And:I probably would not attempt to solder the shield, just crimp it in (a wee bit of heatshink would be super!). Don't do this for audio but the shield is a bit redundant for MIDI.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Coffee_King » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:34 am

Hi there
I have just obtained an iRig Midi without cables and was wondering how you got on with making your own cables in the end?

But, would this combination not work?

A midi to 3.5mm cable

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5M-Metre-3-5mm-Stereo-Jack-to-5-Pin-Midi-Din-Plug-Audio-Cable-Lead-5ft-150cm-/290617394988?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item43aa25872c

with a 2.5mm to 2.5mm converter?

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/2-5mm-stereo-jack-plug-to-3-5mm-stereo-jack-socket-black/438778-01/

??

Thanks
Coffee_King
New here

Postby ef37a » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:27 pm

You must be sure of the wiring. For MIDI the jack needs to be wired, tip and ring to DIN 4 and 5.(unless they do different for MIDI mini jack. In any case you must pickup 4 and 5.)

An audio cable would be wired, tip and ring to 1 and 4 or 5 and 3.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Coffee_King » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 pm

Hey there
I've ordered (similar) to my above post and will advise how I get on.
In the meanwhile I contacted IK Multimedia and they directed me to this link for the actual lead

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/shop/index.php?REQ=SHOWPROD&PRID=iRig_MIDI_cable

Its €7.99 plus whatever theyre going to charge for shipping.
So thats not the end of the world if I have to buy one or two of those.

I believe its also the same cables used on Line 6 Midi Mobilizer, which will be handy to know for some folk.

Thanks
Coffee_King
New here

Postby Coffee_King » Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:44 pm

Right then. I am kind of getting somewhere here but could do with a little more help if theres anyone out there tonight?

Ive gone a slightly different route.

Ive got a male to male midi cable and cut the end off. I was then presented with 5 inner core wires, and worked out using my multimeter that

1=Blue
2=White
3=Purple
4=Green
5=Orange

I then got an old pair of headphone with 3.5mm plug on the end and cut the headphones off.

My headphone cable has an inner core of

Tip=Pink
Ring=White
Sleeve

So, Ive connected up with tape (for now) the following.

Tip (4/Green on Midi Cable to pink on headphone cable)
Ring (5/Orange on Midi cable to white on headphone cable)

The rest of the wires I have just taped off for now.

I havnt connected the sleeve of the headphones anywhere, do I need to?

I've plugged the iRig into my iPhone.
Plugged my crazy cable (with a 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter on the end) into the IN of the iRig.
The Midi end of my crazy cable is plugged into the MIDI OUT of my electronic drum kit

The red IN light flashes.
When I start up IK Sample Tank App on my iphone, and play the kit (With an iRig drum kit selected) I cant hear anything coming out of the iPhone (Even with headphones plugged into the iPhone). From what I believe I should be able to play the drum kit and use the sounds off the Sample Tank app.

When I start the "iRig Midi App" the recorder level moves when I play the kit, but I cant hear anything (I'm not sure if im even supposed to)
Ive recorded using the iRig Midi App and emailed it myself, and can confirm that there is midi info on there and QuickTime plays it back with some drums sounds ok.

So I'm not 100% sure ive connected the wires up correctly (And I'm still not sure about the sleeve issue wiring)

Can anyone advise?

Thanks
Coffee_King
New here

Next