You are here

Mods to change US equipment to work on UK mains (without step down converter)

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Mods to change US equipment to work on UK mains (without step down converter)

Postby ef37a » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:25 am

Neko,
Your original reason for wanting to get rid of the "converter" as you put it was that it was noisy? If you are refering to mechanical noise, "lam buzz" then this is not inevitable! Certainly many transformers buzz, especially cheaper ones but you should be able to find a quiet one and it will be cheaper than a tech! Check out RS Components and CPC/Farnell. Buying a transformer several times the VA rating you need will help ensure quiet operation as well.

If you are getting induced hum into other kit, goes with the territory I am afraid and all you can do is put as much distance as you can between the kits. Is it possible to put the transformer in another room? You can run quite a long mains lead from it, even 20mtrs if needed.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Re: Mods to change US equipment to work on UK mains (without step down converter)

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:38 am

Neko Neko wrote:I was merely following up on an earlier post which said it might be easy for with these markings.

It might well be easy. It probably is. But for any of us to try and diagnose remotely from blurry pics is asking for trouble, and guesswork on your part really isn't a safe option. I'm sure a qualified electronics technician in your local music shop or similar could sort this out for you fairly quickly and easily, and that really is the best option.

hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Previous