You are here

I found an old desk in the shed...

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

I found an old desk in the shed...

Postby Royston » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:52 pm

I found an old MM Electronics MP175 12-2 desk in the shed. I have no use for it. My question is, does anyone else? I don't know if it works (it would have to go for spares / sold as seen), if anyone would want it in the first place, or if I should just chuck it in a skip?

Whaddya think? Might it be any use to anyone, or is it landfill?
Royston

Re: I found an old desk in the shed...

Postby nathanscribe » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:07 pm

Stuff like that is bound to be useful to someone somewhere, if you can find 'em. I hate chucking things if I can find any use for them, even as parts. Postage might be pricey though, so perhaps you could say more or less where you are for collection's sake. Or eBay it for almost nothing, and charge only shipping. I've picked up a couple of cheap mixers like that, and they can be surprisingly nicely characterful.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Royston » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:47 pm

I'm in Helensburgh, near Glasgow.

I'll have a look on eBay - I believe they have a postage calculator these days? - and maybe I'll just stick it on there with no reserve. I just hate throwing away gear when someone might be looking for that kind of thing. What with retro being the new modern and all that, it may be useful to someone who has an old-school analogue setup and doesn't mind putting a bit of work into it. I can't be bothered, personally...
Royston

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:14 pm

I had one of those many, many, many years ago, and if it works it shouldn't be thrown away. I'm not sure anyone would part with much more than £20 for it though :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Gav Bache » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:19 am

Hey there Royston! I'm living in Glasgow at the moment and would certainly love to take a look at it at least before you throw it away, or send it elsewhere!

Would it be possible email me a few photo's? (gavbache@hotmail.com)

I look forward to your reply :lol:

Thanks
Gav Bache

Postby IvanSC » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:03 am

I'm one of the chaps that built the MM stuff - a good little desk in its day with 4 fixed EQ bands that worked very well. You should find the 741s are socketed so easy to replace with something a little quieter these days.

Whoever gets it, very few things to go wrong as it was a very robust little desk in its day.
Is it a light blue one or a black one? Are the wooden end cheeks still OK?

May even have some spares somewhere in MY shed...

(grin) And when first released they were £175 IIR - way cheaper than anything else comparable at the time, also better built!!
I made the mistake of buying an early Malcolm Hill desk "because I needed a pro desk with more channels" piece of junk that spent more time being soldered back together than anything else
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby James Perrett » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 pm

I still use my slightly newer MP180 from time to time and I borrowed an MP175 for a few months before I bought the 180. They may not be the quietest desks around but the eq is useful and the recordings that I made on it still sound good.

They're fairly easy to fix as they're modular inside so someone should find it useful.

James.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:19 pm

IvanSC wrote:I'm one of the chaps that built the MM stuff - a good little desk in its day with 4 fixed EQ bands that worked very well. You should find the 741s are socketed so easy to replace with something a little quieter these days.

Whoever gets it, very few things to go wrong as it was a very robust little desk in its day.

Well I never did - you were part of the Mickey Mouse empire Ivan? 8-)

Our band first had a 16:2 light blue model, and then I bought myself an 8:2 black one for keyboards. They certainly were exceptional value for money, and reliable :beamup:

Oh, and I can remember wondering if I could afford a Malcolm Hill desk as well - they were desirable to too expensive for me. SOunds as if I made the best decision though ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby inderface » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Got to be worth 20 quid for someone that needs a desk and aint got one...
inderface
Regular

Postby IvanSC » Mon Dec 26, 2011 8:06 pm

Yep - I had a company called Chameleon Sound which built pcbs and amp sub-assemblies for both MM and HH, plus did prototype cableform designs and production runs of same.
Heady days!

My workforce was a wonderful assortment of middle aged housewives working from home!

Not exactly rock and roll, but 'the girls' turned out some great kit.

:D
IvanSC
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Two bottles of Corona lemon and lime,  please!

Postby The Red Bladder » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:50 am

HaHa! We must have a few mutual acquaintances then! I think it was Dave Kirby that told me that you worked from an old windmill - is that true?

I bought one of your MMs BTW, my first desk, for my mobile recording outfit. I even got gigs with local radio and TV using that stuff!
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Dec 28, 2011 12:12 pm

IvanSC wrote:My workforce was a wonderful assortment of middle aged housewives working from home!

Not exactly rock and roll, but 'the girls' turned out some great kit.

:D

My first job (as an engineer in radar) had production lines full of middle aged housewives soldering circuity boards, and they could do it far more neatly than I could :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby hollowsun » Wed Dec 28, 2011 2:13 pm

I remember my old chum Chris Huggett (he of EDP Wasp/Spider, OSCar and Akai samplers fame) telling me that the Wasps and Spiders were assembled by housewives on the kitchen tables of Oxford!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby mick.n » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:54 pm

I bought one of these desks from new in early 1987. Gigged 3 to 5 nights a week on average for 4 years with it. Never let us down once. ;)
mick.n
Frequent Poster

Postby Andrew Bishop » Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:22 pm

IvanSC wrote:I'm one of the chaps that built the MM stuff - a good little desk in its day with 4 fixed EQ bands that worked very well. You should find the 741s are socketed so easy to replace with something a little quieter these days.

May even have some spares somewhere in MY shed...

(grin) And when first released they were £175 IIR - way cheaper than anything else comparable at the time, also better built!!
I made the mistake of buying an early Malcolm Hill desk "because I needed a pro desk with more channels" piece of junk that spent more time being soldered back together than anything else

This thread is obviously pretty old now but just wondering if you still have any of those spare parts?

I've recently got my hands on one for free so thought I'd have a crack at a couple of repairs and then maybe try some mods or upgrades down the line.

Cheers
Andrew Bishop

Next