You are here

I found an old desk in the shed...

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: I found an old desk in the shed...

Postby Robert Yo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:38 pm

IvanSC wrote:Yep - I had a company called Chameleon Sound which built pcbs and amp sub-assemblies for both MM and HH, plus did prototype cableform designs and production runs of same.
Heady days!

My workforce was a wonderful assortment of middle aged housewives working from home!

Not exactly rock and roll, but 'the girls' turned out some great kit.

:D
Hello IvanSC ,

It's 2020 and last week I found a MM Electronics Mischpult MP 175 near an abandoned house in the garden. And I was wondering if there is any manual or any information available of the device. I found a phone number for Tony Gipp in Cambridge, but I don't even know if that man is still alive.
Robert Yo
New here

Postby Robert Yo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:45 pm

James Perrett wrote:I still use my slightly newer MP180 from time to time and I borrowed an MP175 for a few months before I bought the 180. They may not be the quietest desks around but the eq is useful and the recordings that I made on it still sound good.

They're fairly easy to fix as they're modular inside so someone should find it useful.

James.
May even have some spares somewhere in MY shed...

Do you still have this spare parts becaus the MM is left by Coranan the Barbarian
Robert Yo
New here

Postby Robert Yo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:53 pm

Andrew Bishop wrote:
IvanSC wrote:I'm one of the chaps that built the MM stuff - a good little desk in its day with 4 fixed EQ bands that worked very well. You should find the 741s are socketed so easy to replace with something a little quieter these days.

Whoever gets it, very few things to go wrong as it was a very robust little desk in its day.
Is it a light blue one or a black one? Are the wooden end cheeks still OK?

May even have some spares somewhere in MY shed...

(grin) And when first released they were £175 IIR - way cheaper than anything else comparable at the time, also better built!!
I made the mistake of buying an early Malcolm Hill desk "because I needed a pro desk with more channels" piece of junk that spent more time being soldered back together than anything else

This thread is obviously pretty old now but just wondering if you still have any of those spare parts?

I've recently got my hands on one for free so thought I'd have a crack at a couple of repairs and then maybe try some mods or upgrades down the line.

Cheers
Hello Andrew,

It's even an older threat right now, I found one last week outside in the rain.

I am really curious if you got the device right.

and you could also find a manual

cheers
Robert Yo
New here

Postby Robert Yo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:57 pm

mick.n wrote:I bought one of these desks from new in early 1987. Gigged 3 to 5 nights a week on average for 4 years with it. Never let us down once. ;)

Amazing.

So it was like Russian made, like Lada.

Question to you, do you have a manual of the device
Robert Yo
New here

Postby Robert Yo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:01 pm

Gav Bache wrote:Hey there Royston! I'm living in Glasgow at the moment and would certainly love to take a look at it at least before you throw it away, or send it elsewhere!

Would it be possible email me a few photo's? (gavbache@hotmail.com)

I look forward to your reply :lol:

Thanks

So Gav,

did you eventually get the mm electronics mp 175?
Robert Yo
New here

Postby Robert Yo » Thu Sep 03, 2020 11:09 pm

I just found a MM Electronics MP175

If anyone of you can help me with info about it like a manual
or technical information then that would help me a lot because the device was abandoned by Coronan the barbarian.

cheers
Robert Yo
New here

Postby VOLOVIA » Fri Sep 04, 2020 3:24 am

IvanSC wrote:Yep - I had a company called Chameleon Sound which built pcbs and amp sub-assemblies for both MM and HH, plus did prototype cableform designs and production runs of same.
Heady days!

My workforce was a wonderful assortment of middle aged housewives working from home!

Not exactly rock and roll, but 'the girls' turned out some great kit.

:D

In Italy this type of work from home, carried out mostly by women and the 'officially unemployed' was a way to avoid paying taxes, contributions etc. and, I presume in the UK, boost the Social Security income without affecting it. Clearly, these practices brought some welcome extra cash to households and much more to businesses (sure, some they had to survive, but most was to cut production costs), but it has proven one of the reason why Italy has a horrid national debt.
Was it the same in the UK?
VOLOVIA
Regular
VOLOVIA - FACEBOOK - TWITTER Songwriter/guitarist

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 04, 2020 7:46 am

If no one else wants this I’ll take it if it works, right away, I’ll give you £50 plus postage.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Folderol » Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:27 am

Arpangel wrote:If no one else wants this I’ll take it if it works, right away, I’ll give you £50 plus postage.
Take it anyway. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can sort it for you.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 05, 2020 8:12 am

Folderol wrote:
Arpangel wrote:If no one else wants this I’ll take it if it works, right away, I’ll give you £50 plus postage.
Take it anyway. If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll see if I can sort it for you.

Maybe we can sort this out, let me know postage etc.

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Mike Stranks » Sat Sep 05, 2020 9:27 am

Another 'oldie' writes...

Back in the '70s the MM mixers were the ones everyone was buying - not that there was much else about at reasonable prices, unless you paid some more and went for the HH one.

But in all honesty, their performance compared to what we get for the equivalent of much less now was decidedly average. You took what you could get back then, but I wouldn't go near one now. Of course, if distortion and hiss is your thing.... ;)

Mind you, nostalgia's not what it was...
Mike Stranks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:36 am

Mike Stranks wrote:Another 'oldie' writes...

Back in the '70s the MM mixers were the ones everyone was buying - not that there was much else about at reasonable prices, unless you paid some more and went for the HH one.

But in all honesty, their performance compared to what we get for the equivalent of much less now was decidedly average. You took what you could get back then, but I wouldn't go near one now. Of course, if distortion and hiss is your thing.... ;)

Mind you, nostalgia's not what it was...

+1 Mike! The word "741" put me off straight away. Not a bad chip in certain positions but in a mic pre or as a summing amp, noisy.

I wonder, does it use single 741 ICs or the dual version in an 8pin dil? If the latter the NE5532 could be a simple drop in replacement. The single NE5534 could also be used but would probably require some compensation components.
Whatever is used a 100nF tacked across the back of the print, rail to rail would be a very desirable first fix.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:24 am

The MM mixer is the best one I’ve ever used, contrary to what everyone else is saying.
Because? It has a very "dynamic" sound, big, compared to modern day desks, and the EQ is probably the best I’ve used too, it’s a fixed 4 band, but they’ve chosen the frequencies extremely well. You get a lovely weight to the sound in the bass, and the mid is right on vocals, it’s almost like a vocal volume knob. It’s worth getting this mixer as a stand alone EQ, you’d pay a lot for it if it was a boutique rack.
I had an MM 16-2, I completely rebuilt, rewired it, and fitted new power rails and jack sockets, it was amazing, and I should never have sold it. I listen to recordings I made with it now, and compared to your average modern mixer it stands out like crazy, it just sounds fabulous.
I would only ever use it for line level signals, forget microphones.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:25 am

"I would only ever use it for line level signals, forget microphones."

Ah, not THAT good then? And "completely rebuilt"? Sounds a bit 'Triggers Broom' to me!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:05 am

ef37a wrote:"I would only ever use it for line level signals, forget microphones."

Ah, not THAT good then? And "completely rebuilt"? Sounds a bit 'Triggers Broom' to me!

Dave.

It doesn’t have balanced inputs, mic or line, I only ever used it for synths, which sounded amazing.
I didn’t renew any of the caps etc, I was scared of loosing the sound, all the sockets were worn out, and the wiring on the stereo buss looked like it was done with old bell wire, I replaced that with 00 gauge model railway track rails, and replaced all the jack sockets.
I know of a few mixer manufactures who used model rail track for bus bars, it’s ideal.
I also replaced all the faders, there really wasn’t anything else wrong with it.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext