You are here

Optigan repair in UK

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Optigan repair in UK

Postby jx » Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:22 pm

Hi, i'm new to the board, so please be gentle...

I have one of these bizzare beasts (see www.optigan.com for more details), and as with most of 'em, bits of it aren't working properly- namely the 'record player', the reverb tank etc.
i need someone who has experience with tape/replay/vintage and esoteric technology here in the UK to have a look at it, and if they can, fix it. i've already asked a few mellotron companies, who really don't want to go there (these babies weren't really designed to be taken apart and fixed). if anyone has any suggestions, i'm all ears.
thanks
Pete
jx

Re: Optigan repair in UK

Postby baward » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:15 pm

Lol its the second time I've mentioned his name on here recently, but try Peter Forrest of VEMIA fame. He has a whole lot of contacts in the world of electro-mechanical instruments: pforrest@vemia.co.uk

Or give Norm Leete of the UK Mellotron Archives a go: NormLeete@aol.com

Good luck!

Ben
baward
Regular

Postby jx » Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:07 pm

Hi
It USED to be peter's! i bought it off him a few years ago in a vemia auction! i asked him about repair places, but no joy- he used to do it all himself.
Hammondhire have offered to have a look- has anyone had any experience with them? are they expensive?
jx

Postby Rob Lord » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Hammondhire are excellent, very knowledgeable and lovely chaps. They've done quite a bit of work for me. I would think they'd be ideal people to do something like this. Sounds like it could be quite a lot of work though to restore it so I don't suppose that will be exactly cheap.

Good luck,

Rob

ps I'm looking for an Optigan if you decide to sell.
Rob Lord

Stylophonic Music Productions www.stylophonic.tv