You are here

Duvet or Reflexion clone?

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Duvet or Reflexion clone?

Postby thefruitfarmer » Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:59 pm

I treated a corner of a friend's room, to help him record vocals in there.

Full build thread here.

Well, listening to the area there seems to be a sweet spot between about 6" and 18" away from the corner trap, from top to bottom of the trap and across its entire width. It sounds fairly dead there, the colouration of the room is a lot less obvious.

My question is, would a reflexion filter or something similar, help to get a bigger sweet spot?
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Re: Duvet or Reflexion clone?

Postby Helmutcrab » Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:45 am

Hi thefruitfarmer,

I'm thinking of making my own reflection filter if i need one once all my panels are up.

Thats a good question. A reflection filter will surely help a little especially if the rest of the room is not treated or has minimal treatment, but it will only reduce room reflections from around the back and some of the sides. The further away you get from that treated corner, the more room you will get into the mic but also ( i think ? ) the more the longer wavelength lower frequencies will have an effect on the recording, especially if the traps are not very thick and not spaced off the walls by a good few inches. I read that the best overall performance/compromise is to position from the wall the same as the thickness of the trap, so if they are 2" deep then space them 2" off wall etc. I was advised to use 6" traps where ever possible and include a 6" space as well but this isn't always practical and i appreciate these are already made and are helping a lot.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable than me can help here though.

Cheers.
Helmutcrab
Frequent Poster

Postby thefruitfarmer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:21 pm

Hey Helmut

I don't expect you will need a relexion clone in your room TBH, it will probably end up dead enough to record a dry vocal in.

I am not too worried about the actual making of one, it's just whether a duvet over spare boom stand would be effective enough or whether making some kind of moveable rockwool screening would be worth my while.
thefruitfarmer
Frequent Poster

Postby Helmutcrab » Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:04 pm

I hope i don't. I'm a bit sick of making traps now :D

I think a 3-4" rock wool filter ( maybe 2 x 2ft ? ) would be great and should allow you to maintain most of the effect of the corner panels at a greater distance, at least in terms of dryness. You could give a duvet a try but rock wool would cover a much broader band of frequencies and give better results i think.

Cheers
Helmutcrab
Frequent Poster

Postby babaorum » Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:35 pm

Fine job on the traited corner !
babaorum
Regular