You are here

a good book on electronics- recommendations please!

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

a good book on electronics- recommendations please!

Postby gingertimmins » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:08 pm

Happy Friday everyone!

In my band I'm quickly becoming the "go to guy" for electrical repairs... dodgy pots, pick ups etc.
It's not because I have any training, it's more that I'm the only one interested and not scared of doing so.
My knowledge is severely lacking in this department and i'd like to get better at it so can anyone recomment a good book on electronics that will teach me about reading schematics, pcb's, various soldering techniques etc.
I'm not looking to build a robot, just modify a pedal or fix a broken amp but not hav the fear that I'm going to cause further damage.

Thanks in advance!

Chris
gingertimmins
Regular

Re: a good book on electronics- recommendations please!

Postby RoadieChauffeur » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:47 pm

These are my starting points:

Practical Electronics for Inventors

The book known as Horiwitz and Hill hasn't been revised for about 25 years, but is still regarded as the Bible of electronics. Rumours abound of a new version (and have done for years...)
The Art of Electronics
RoadieChauffeur
Regular
Also electrician, tea boy, secretary...

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:56 pm

I like the Art of Electronics -- it was my bible at university and I still refer to it today. The fundamental aspects of electronics hasn't changed, so the fact it hasn't been updated isn't a big deal. But it does provide a very readable and understandable tutorial across all the basics, including transistor and op-amp amplifiers, power supplies, logic circuits and so on and so forth. All very good stuff.

An alternative book that is often employed in colleges to teach electronics these days is Electronics: A Systems Approach by Neil Storey

And if you're into messing with op-amps, then the Op-Amps Applications Handbook by Walt Jung is useful

The other book I use a lot for more sophisticated and high-end audio work is Small Signal Audio Design by Douglas Self

H
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby pilot-wave » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:30 pm

After a lengthy period away from the soldering iron and getting by on very little theory I've recently obtained Make:Electronics by Charles Platt (2009) which comes over as an easily accessible introduction seemingly addressing all your concerns from the theoretical and practical basics to the more involved stuff. Lots of practical projects to try out and learn from.

Also from the same publishers is Ray Wilson's Make:Analog Synthesizers (2013), should you ever tilt that way, again with advice on tools, techniques, troubleshooting and an example project.
pilot-wave
Regular

Postby ef37a » Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:09 am

Hugh beat me to Duggy Self's book! Gives you a real insight into very low noise audio systems.

If you want to learn about valved guitar amps the two books by Merlin Blencowe are excellent but beware others! LOT of bllx written about the subject.

You say you have no formal training? Bit worrying that, not only for your safety but also because you might UNWITTINGLY I AM SURE, put others at risk.

I am however very pleased that someone is taking up electronics in a practical way. I foresee a time and not that far away, when the world will have to stop landfilling last years gizmos and start mending things again.

Please feel free to PM and I will try to help.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby dmills » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:18 pm

ef37a wrote:
You say you have no formal training? Bit worrying that, not only for your safety but also because you might UNWITTINGLY I AM SURE, put others at risk.
Hell Dave, the nearest thing I come to formal training is the C&G RAE course and an AS level many years back, and I **Think** I am probably more or less competent to design audio these days;-).

AOE is good,
Self is good (But I disagree about the way he favors decoupling opamps),
Cordell is good,
Find the old Bob Pease stuff, it is at least interesting,
Zevrev is good for L/C filter topologies,
Terman is good if valves are your thing and you can cope with old money units,
Langford Smith is a must have for valve stuff (Also very interesting on audio transformers for valve amplifiers), find a late 60's edition if you can.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby zenguitar » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:25 am

I've got nothing to add to the list, however this is a topic that is worthy of being made a sticky. So that's just what I've done. Feel free to expand the list, or to comment on the books already mentioned.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby ef37a » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:50 am

dmills wrote:
ef37a wrote:
Hell Dave, the nearest thing I come to formal training is the C&G RAE course and an AS level many years back, and I **Think** I am probably more or less competent to design audio these days;-).

AOE is good,
Self is good (But I disagree about the way he favors decoupling opamps),
Cordell is good,
Find the old Bob Pease stuff, it is at least interesting,

Zevrev is good for L/C filter topologies,
Terman is good if valves are your thing and you can cope with old money units,
Langford Smith is a must have for valve stuff (Also very interesting on audio transformers for valve amplifiers), find a late 60's edition if you can.

Regards, Dan.

Hell Dan! You must be close to my age if you did City &Guilds! I too only got C&G R&TV&Electronics servicing but I have survived 40 years in the domestic electronics industry and have taken numerous course at Hitachi, Philips, Grundig,Sony etc. I have a "Cert" for microwaves (takes NO prisoners!) and a one from Sharp for a PAT course.
The OP has, to our knowledge, done none of this.

I am very pleased indeed about anyone taking up practical electronics, just a bit worried about safety.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
#They did not listen, they are not listening still...Perhaps they never will?#

Postby Adam Inglis » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:27 pm

The first four or five chapters of "Art Of Electronics" will take you a long way!
I found some of the equations/theory a little heavy especially in the chapter on transistors, but what helped greatly was getting hold of a copy of the AOE Student Manual as well. This takes you through each chapters principles with simple illustrations and experiments that you can breadboard up yourself. Plenty of "a-ha" moments there, when it comes to BJTs, FETs, op-amps, etc.
Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
http://www.adambaby.com
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby Trevor Johnson » Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Hell Dan! You must be close to my age if you did City &Guilds

My City and Guilds RAE was July 1994, just checked the certificate.
I though Dan must have an amateur licence when he mentioned using phono as RF connectors up to 30MHz, something low power (QRP) operators often use. Although a QRP operator, I use BNC for RF and phono for audio, to avoid confusion.

I still have my old copy of Foundations of Wireless and Electronics by Scroggie.
Trevor Johnson
Regular

Postby Garrog » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:13 pm

Funnily enough I recently got that "Practical Electronics for Inventors" for some brushing up after reading good internet reviews and thinking it might be a bit less dry than H&H.

I wonder whether RoadieChauffeur perhaps uses the book as a reference rather than a teaching book? Based on what I've read so far I have to be frank - I'm concerned at the competence of the author. To be fair I'm still trolling through the intro, but then my progress has been hindered by the extent of errors, misleads and information that doesn't seem like it could possibly prove relevant to the target reader.

Things may get better, but so far I wouldn't recommend it. I'd be interested to know if it gets better when we get past the dodgy physics!
Garrog
Poster

Postby Folderol » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:02 pm

Trevor Johnson wrote:
Hell Dan! You must be close to my age if you did City &Guilds

My City and Guilds RAE was July 1994, just checked the certificate.
I though Dan must have an amateur licence when he mentioned using phono as RF connectors up to 30MHz, something low power (QRP) operators often use. Although a QRP operator, I use BNC for RF and phono for audio, to avoid confusion.

I still have my old copy of Foundations of Wireless and Electronics by Scroggie.
Huh! Kids today :D

I have the ambiguous distinction of being in the last group of people who took the Telecom Technicians course at HND level in the 1970s. It was a sudden death situation as we were in the re-takes year for each level so if we failed we had no second chance. I can't remember too well but around that time a number of HND & HNC courses either swapped places, were downgraded or stopped completely.

In answer to your unspoken question I mostly got distinctions but failed one paper in the last year. It was a maths paper, and maths has always been my weakest subject (still is) :frown:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby dmills » Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:03 pm

H&H was written aimed at Physics students who needed to learn some electronics in order to make their experimental apparatus work.
Hence it includes quite a lot of practical advice on things like decoupling and how to draw a sane schematic, in general be wary of anything titled "<Complex subject> for <some group>", it is a bit like seeing "Professional" printed on the front panel of a bit of cheap kit.

The dirty little secret that none of these books adequately teach is that everyone working in the field has a whole list of rules of thumb (together with a more or less complete list of when they do NOT apply), so actually very little maths past a bit of arithmetic and occasional basic algebra or elementary calculus is required, knowing when you find the once in a blue moon that you need to hit the books for how to do something weird in the S plane is the trick (And it happens so seldom that I do need to hit the books when it does).

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby miguellacorte » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:53 pm

Hi, i was going to post a thread but this one is pretty close to what i was going to write. I still have my doubts. Anyways, i've been lately kind of an audiophile and i thought to myself that i could develop my own personal project. I'm talking about DIY Speakers and DIY Amps....etc. i currently don't know anything about this. So what would you recommend for me to do so that i can start building my own speakers ... amps ...etc. (I will first read Practical Electronics for Inventors)
miguellacorte

Postby Garrog » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:35 am

Hi Miguel - I'm still slowly working my way through that book and FWIW would advise it's not the sort of book to read from cover to cover - unless, at 970 large pages, you have a LOT of time (and even then...). Whether or not you agree with the way it's written, I think it's fair to say there's a substantial amount of intense maths and physics. Personally I reckon it would suck the enthusiasm from your interest before you built anything.

For books and what you want to do, my two cent suggestion would be to consider one(s) written specifically for DIY audio design? Otherwise I'll throw in:

1. SOS DIY Links Thread (for all I know there could be a more recent version of this)
2. http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/ (which I may have stolen from the above)
3. Some sort of project kit type thing? I'm sure there's some about...

But that's just my opinion as a non-builder. Hopefully those who've trodden a more similar path to you will also advise!
Garrog
Poster

Postby _ Six _ » Fri Feb 20, 2015 12:39 pm

Electronics for Guitarists - Denton J. Dailey

Brilliant book.
_ Six _
Frequent Poster

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,267 quality articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

Postby Jorge » Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:09 pm

I went to order H&H Art of Electronics and lo and behold,
New Third Edition
I think I will try to hold out until April 30, a 26 year revision should be reasonably interesting given the major developments in digital, wireless and computing electronics over the past few decades.
What do you think?
Jorge
Regular

Postby BillB » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:52 am

BillB
Regular

Postby Sound3p » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:20 am

gotta check those out
Sound3p

Next