You are here

New Studio Build - Summerly Studios

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: New Studio Build - Summerly Studios

Postby Tonyes335 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:03 pm

Floor done ready for grouting.

Screeding next week!
Regards,
Tonyes335
Regular
This diary also on Facebook page @summerlystudios

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:25 pm

It's a little too cold for concrete but this image shows:

1. A view from the CR/Booth host space into the live/cinema area.
2. Shows the "floating floor" on 100mm rockwool. (18mm Chip, 15mm plasterboard, 18mm Chip)
3. The difference in floor level between the two areas.
4. The entry and exit point to the studio (ply sheet rear right with the steps resting against it.) The other side is the lounge and bar which just needs skirting and architrave to be complete. We are already using this area....
5. I have a bit of tidying to do......
6. The trusses on the LHS will carry the inner ceiling being placed inbetween the existing trusses but resting on the new stud walls I build.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:24 pm

Boring update:
The beam and block floor is grouted!! This needs to dry out a little although it turned cold again today.
This week we have been upgrading the security including new cctv, new burglar alarms and wiring for fire alarms. (I outsourced this to a professional company though!)
I have also been busy replacing our post and rail fencing which has been a pig. I have bashed in around 100 meters of posts so far but have another 300m or so to go!
I have three tons of sand to blind off the floor so I can get the DPM in. Then it is just a case of getting the insulation down and we can lay out the floor. I think I'm ahead of schedule despite the extras.
The next post will be a copy of the plans for which I have permission......
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:13 pm

23rd February 2015
Well half term is over. Kids are back to school and it is back to work.
Here is the floor layout.
This is designed to our requirements, taking into account our existing space, differing floor levels and also, to some extent, to make use of materials already on site.
There are of course numerous pdfs of construction details as well as the ongoing consultancy in order to ensure the results meet expectations.
The door to the outside world in the lobby area does not exist at the moment. Currently the only way in and out is through the live area. I hope I can live with this as it will be difficult to cut through the wall. Because of this I have planned a robust fire alarm system including detection in the voids just in case.

With kind permission of the designer....

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:27 pm

This additional image shows the acoustic treatment plans.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Is there some means allowed of indicating to someone on the outside that recording is taking place and so not to enter? You don't really want to have to lock those airlock doors as you may need to get out in a hurry, regardless of any fire detection system.

Also, if you lease it out, rather than have it for personal use, is now having just one means of escape enough? Hopefully the designer has cleared this with the relevant authorities. I have no idea on this, but it's always worth checking and you don't want anything to give an insurance company reason not to pay out.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:20 pm

I won't be leasing the space. I will have an obligatory "RECORDING" light but will have full control of who is in and around the building.
The designer included the door to the outside world in the lobby. It is kind of up to me to make a decision on that and of course follow up with authorities.

However your comment is so important as some people will build things based on these forums without professional input. Professionals don't just design creative environments but point out what needs to be considered in terms of structural investigations and other safety issues. It is so important to point out to any readers when building these kind of structures safety has to come first. The additional stress on structures by adding much needed mass can exceed the structural designs of existing buildings pretty quickly. Quite often structural failures are catastrophic without warning.

Fire is a relatively low risk in terms of occurrence, however is devastating if it happens. As mentioned we have detection in all areas of the building including voids between the inner and outer leaves. This is particularly important and often overlooked. The objective is to give enough time to get out should the worse happen before a fire takes hold.
I know it has been said before but please remember your family and friends will use these spaces so please take care.

Don't forget that sometimes in terms of building inspection (in the UK) the spec is different for domestic and commercial builds and sometimes the BCO may have little experience of room within a room type structures.

All the best.
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm

Very well put, Tony.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby The Korff » Wed Feb 25, 2015 12:01 pm

Nice thread bro!
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 10:02 am

Hi,
I placed the sand blinding over the floor but unfortunately the sand was so wet that it still hasn't dried. Even though it will be under the dpm I wanted it to be drier before sealing it away.
In terms of the floor construction I could either place a reinforced concrete floor pad for each room over the rockwool insulation or simply use two layers of flooring chipboard glued & screwed together. My instinct was to go the concrete route but speaking to the designer the chip route would be sufficient in my particular circumstances.
The advantage of the timber floor is that it will be really quick and easy for fixing the sole plates and final finishes, but I will have to buy the material. If I go with the concrete it is labour intensive, more difficult for fixings and final finishes. I do however have all the materials.
Warm regards,
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:36 pm

Hi,
After putting the dpm and insulation down I could still detect resonance in the subfloor. Rather than ignore it and regret it later I decided to add another layer of sand to increase the mass. I am sure this will do it.
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:58 am

Since the last update, due to a minor accident and a holiday over Easter we have fallen a little behind.
The subfloor is now complete. The floor has sufficient mass to dampen the previous resonance issue. The sand was overlaid with a polythene membrane which in turn is overlaid with 100mm Rockwool Rockfloor. This is just a very dense mineral wool insulation slab designed for use in floors as it has high compressive strength I think it is around 140kgm3. This is ready to take the chip flooring once I have laid it out.
You can see the walls are pink and black stripes. The pink stripes are extruded polystyrene, the black are uPVC rails which the eps sits in to form the walls. This is the way the building was constructed. For more detail take a look at the Polarwall website or there is more detail on my website under ancient history. In order to ensure air tightness I will need to screw plasterboard to the plastic rails and caulk and tape all the edges and screws. I'll need to pay particular attention to the window reveals.
The last job before building the internal structure is to strengthen the stud wall separating the studio from the lounge. That will be a case of putting a layer or two of plasterboard between the studs, caulking the edges and holding them in place with some timber battens.
Evidence and more to follow soon.
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Studio Support Gnome » Wed Apr 29, 2015 10:41 am

not wishing to rain on anything, but , IF I understand correctly, that you seem to be planning to layer a couple of sheets of chipboard and a bit of plasterboard as your floor platform, and then build high mass (multiple layers of plasterboard ) stud walls on this as a structural base ??? (inferred from the suggestion that it's easy to fix sole plates to this floor )

that floor is adequate as a separate internal floor, but not as a structural supporting floor…. it will flex and bend with that kind of mass on it…. especially during the construction phase as the mass will not be applied evenly
Studio Support Gnome
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Now available for consultations and audio engineering jobs .  Also guitar tech work , and “rent-a-shredder” sessions .  Oxfordshire based but can and will travel .  Email maxtech.audio@me.com

Postby Tonyes335 » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:34 pm

Many thanks,
Your understanding is correct.
The Rockfloor has considerable compressive strength. I was also concerned about point loading and the designer also mentioned it. I found it difficult to get an opinion because this is an unusual application for the products. I did have a structural engineer look at it on a visit for another purpose and he was happy that subfloor would take the loads as the layered floor would effectively spread the soleplate loads sufficiently.
When I was putting the beam and block flooring in I piled up the materials to an unsafe height which must have been over a couple of tonnes right on the edge of the existing floor and there was no detectable movement in the floor or insulation.
However, it is important the subfloor is spot on as any movement could cause problems. (But this is probably true in most scenarios anyway.) This is another reason it took so long, making sure the subfloor sand was well compacted and even.
I'll be laying out the flooring next week!
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi,
Floor done, just starting to plasterboard the outer shell. This is just to ensure the shell is air tight. I have tidied up around the window reveal with ply, sealing every junction joint and seam. I am using an acoustic caulk around the edge of each plasterboard. I'll also tape the joints. It won't be necessary to sand it all down as this will never be seen again. (That said, I probably will as I will be happier knowing the finish is good in the void??) I am only boarding down as far as the DPC which is why you can see the dpm visible below. I have unibonded the bottom of the boards to seal them and I will caulk the bottom of the boards to the dpm to maintain the integrity ot the air seal.
Interestingly the only work I outsourced to a builder was beefing up the gable end of the roof over a year ago. I was doing a favour as he was working here and it was raining so I offered an alternative rather than sending him home for the day. Two layers of plasterboard, each one sealed at the perimeter with caulk and all screw holes filled. Then fill with insulation. Strict instructions with the obligitory lecture on airtight construction. Look what I found when I removed the insulation by chance today..... True it is not possible to get the caulk gun in there but this sort of thing can have a serious impact. Thats what fingers are for!

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:47 am

So the shell is plasterboarded apart from the steel beam, (top right of picture), which is being boxed in at the moment.
The lighter colour trusses in the picture are temporarily suspended between the roof trusses awaiting the walls to be built underneath. I had to use trusses as the span is over 7m and was the best way to get a clear span with max height.
Once the walls are in place they will be lowered and braced but nothing will touch the existing roof trusses which are part of the shell.
I still need to sort out the air conditioning......
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:19 pm

A bit of a delay! Just procrastinating with a few issues. Back with a full update soon. :blush:
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Zukan » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:23 am

Still can't see the spot allocated for the pole.
Zukan

Postby Tonyes335 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:57 am

Why the long delay!
It is a bit complicated to illustrate but here goes.......

When I built the shell I had a 50mm gap between the beam & block floor pads and the walls.
This gap was bridged by bituthene DPM which is a bitumen backed membrane.

This is actually a weakness in the construction, as around the perimeter there is no substantial mass leading to the underfloor ventilation.  Just membrane and rockwooll.
That said there should always be some room for expansion and contraction on a large floor so it is inevitable that there would be some kind of gap filled with low mass material.

Anyway I had not reckoned on mice!  The underfloor ventilation uses modern airbricks and rodent proof grills the other end of the telescopic vents.  So imagine my surprise that I spotted some rockwool "fluff" in one corner.  I knew I had swept and hoovered.  On closer inspection I noticed a tunnel on the edge of the rockwool.  When I put my hand near it I could feel a draft!

So I ripped out that area of rockwool and sure enough a hole through the membrane to the underfloor.  I later found a nest in one of the rolls of insulation I had stacked up.

So the weakness and therefore risk exists around the perimeter of the large room.

I have monitored the situation for a while and there have been no repeat visitors.  So I intend to seal up the hole and “squeezy foam” any gaps around the perimeter and press on.

In the meantime I converted the office/store back to a studio and it has been getting plenty of use.  This is at least one positive to come from it.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Forum Admin » Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:09 am

Studio looks great.

Wire wool stuffed into holes can help stop rodents; they don't/can't chew through it very easily.
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH 10,660+ top articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
*NEW* SOS Video Tutorials: www.soundonsound.com/tutorials

PreviousNext