You are here

New Studio Build - Summerly Studios

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: New Studio Build - Summerly Studios

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Nice work Tony - looks like a great place to create in 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Tonyes335 » Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I really do enjoy this space. It was originally my studio space until I converted it in preparation for my build by removing a heavy set of doors and putting in a large double glazed window. Because I was delayed I had to convert it back but that was more of a taking gear out of storage and reinstalling it exercise. It will eventually be used as an office. It is not perfect because the ceiling is quite low. The sound attenuation to the outside world is quite poor now because of the window, but that seems to help a little with acoustics. My neighbours can't hear me playing and I can't be heard in our house so I am happy to live with this while I get on with the build. It is not really suitable for recording due to sound leakage (from the outside in.). But I am lucky to have it in the meantime.

So please forgive the delay and the sub floor construction issues I hope to be on form going forward. The story so far is a good lesson in getting pro help from the very beginning.

There are lots of conflicting methods and techniques to studio construction. I think the issue may be trying to mix and match strategies from different types of construction. The various methods work within their own system but may not be suitable taken as an individual solution for a problem?

From this point I am guided by "the plans" with the support of the designer.

As always If anyone has comments or questions I am happy to hear. Somebody made a good point of measuring the sound leakage at various milestones which I shall do once I seal up the Window and French door apertures with glass.

Thanks again,
Tonyes335
Regular
This diary also on Facebook page @summerlystudios

Postby Atkar » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:13 pm

Yes, I have to agree completely. Well done with your studio, I have always wanted to create my own. My brother is trying to produce music, and he always get distracted by ambient sounds. What do you all recommend for acoustic panels? I am from Australia, and I was checking out this website to subdue the sounds to prevent the sound waves from entering the recording room. What do you all think of these types of Promotional link removed
Atkar

Postby zenguitar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:54 am

Atkar, you are being disingenuous. Looking at your profile I find that you list exactly the same web site as your homepage. Either it is not your homepage or you are lying when in this thread you say "I was checking out this website". Both cannot be true.

We really have no problem with manufacturers/installers posting on the SOS forums. If you had taken the time to explore and read some of the many threads in this forum you would have noticed contributions from other manufacturers. All we ask is that they represent themselves honestly and that they don't use the forums for promotion. We even allow you to have a link to your site in your forum signature.

And as the other manufacturers who post here with advice and answer questions openly play by the rules, it would be unfair to them to let you get away with cheating. So, I am warning you publicly (and I will PM you with a link to this post to ensure you know you are being warned) to play by both the rules and the spirit of these forums. Feel free by all means to post in our forums and offer the benefit of your knowledge and experience, but you WILL resist the temptation to make promotional posts or to try to sneak promotional posts under the radar. If it happens again you risk being banned from the site.

Oh, I'm about to edit your previous post to remove the promo link to your site.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Mar 29, 2016 4:10 pm

The shell is now airtight. the stud wall dividing the live area and the rest of the building is fully beefed up with 3 layers of 12.5mm plasterbord. That was a really tedious job. I think I used around 15 900ml tubes of acoustic caulk in this wall.

You can see in the pictures the doorway open.

As a test before increasing the mass of the wall I ran the PA with some random music in the adjacent room. I got a reading of 89db on the sound meter. Then on the studio side and had a reading of 69db

After increasing the mass I used pink noise. On the meter I used A weighted, fast setting got a max of 92.5db. On the studio side I got 64db. The door aperture is just sealed with 18mm ply and you can clearly tell that is where all the sound is coming from. I hope to make a door soon and will report back when complete..

Of course after the time and energy of sealing the wall I cut a big hole in it!!! This will be the access area to the loft where the aircon will be. It will be the only way in to this void when the inner shell is sealed. I will of course make a very heavy door for this the same mass as the wall.

Looking at the new hole for loft access.

Close up of loft access, looking back to loft space above chill out area/bar.

Chill out/bar area looking into studio space.

Studio space looking back into chill out/bar area.

Cheers,
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Folderol » Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:16 pm

Thought you'd gone a bit quiet <- see what I did there?

Nice work, but it makes me tired just thinking about it.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Tonyes335 » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:50 am

Just finished fitting the first door between the bar area and the live room. This is a solid core door which was about 40kg. So it is approx 20kg m2. The wall construction is approx 30kg m2, so I'll add a layer or maybe two of 18mm MDF to the inside face. I still need to add the seals. The locks are fitted blind to one side. I used 4 heavy duty hinges and I included a heavy duty closer to prevent any injuries or damage with such a heavy door swinging about. I finished the surround too. On with framing but I still need to deal with stuff that's accumulated in the area! I may have to build round it for now.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:38 pm

Hi, I have a question if anyone has an opinion or experience. I was thinking of using electro magnetics to keep my seals compressed. (Similar to access control on commercial doors.) It works on the principle dc12v applied engages the magnet. I wonder what the effects may be on equipment?
Cheers, T
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Jul 28, 2016 12:32 pm

I've no experience of electromagnetics for sealing (although we have them at work so I guess I could see if they generate any interference). However, my last studio had doors with metal strips around them and seals similar to fridge seals in the door frames which worked well.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Folderol » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:41 pm

I think you'll find the commercial ones are actually mains voltage - fired by a low voltage relay.

How much continuous power drain would you consider acceptable?

What steps would you take to ensure instant shutdown in the event of an emergency - don't forget panicked people don't think rationally.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Tonyes335 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:34 pm

Thanks for the replies, I guess I may be over engineering it. I like the idea of a latch to compress the seals evenly as the seals at the hinge edge are more compressed than the opening edge. I found some 12/24v door magnets that had 250 kg holding force at around 300ma. The switching system could be very simple with a relay from the fire panel effectively cutting the power in event of alarm condition. Anyway will experiment with the simple solutions first!

I had to move the consumer unit for the whole building that was in the back corner where the bass traps are proposed.

I have started framing this week photo evidence to follow!
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby The Korff » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:08 am

I've just gone through this thread, as somehow it escaped my attention before.

Nice work! I also like how the bar is fully stocked before the studio walls are finished. Priorities!
The Korff
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Tonyes335 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:22 pm

The fully stocked bar isn't the reason we're going slow!

So, it has been a couple of months and I used a lot of my materials to replace my old sheds so I could empty the areas, and store my accumulated stuff safely.

Here you can see some of the framing and the lighter trusses in position on the wall plate. The darker trusses are the roof trusses and the lighter are for the inner leaf ceiling. Nowhere do they touch.

Here is another view of the ceiling

And a the board lifter that made it all possible.

Still trying to sort out air con, my next job is making the silencers. Once these are done I can finish the ceiling and start adding plasterboard.
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Thu Dec 01, 2016 2:37 pm

Yes - those board lifters are amazingly useful :thumbup:

I'm a little surprised that you are using wood for the ceiling instead of plasterboard - or is the loading too great for plasterboard?
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Tonyes335 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:37 pm

The main reason for using wood as a layer is because I have quite a few things to hang from the ceiling in terms of acoustic treatments a projector etc. It will also help with the air-conditioning attenuators which will be attached to the top of the ceiling avoiding the outer shell trusses.
As I am also adding two layers of 15mm plasterboard, I thought it would be handy to have the extra structural support. - This is a heavy ceiling and the inner room trusses were designed to take this kind of load.

Generally it is not really necessary to use wood as it is about 3 times more expensive than plasterboard, and marginally more difficult/slower to cut and shape.
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:31 pm

Air conditioning -

So far I have struggled to find anyone to do the air conditioning for me at a reasonable price or in some cases even quote at all. The recommendations have been either SEZ-KD35 or PEAD-RP35JAQ for the CR and booth and SEZ-KD50 or PEAD-RP50JAQ for the live room. the argument for the more powerful PEAD units is to cope with the static pressure of my ducting and attenuators. The SUZ-KA35 and SUZ-KA50 inverters (outdoor units) were recommended. All I need is for someone to do the interconnecting pipe work between the indoor and outdoor units. It is a legal requirement for this to be done by an F Gas registered contractor, similar to CORGI for gas installations. I can buy the indoor and outdoor units on line at a reasonable cost, but can't get anyone to fit on that basis or a reasonable charge for supply and fit.

The HRV options have been the Lossnay LGH-15RX5-E to LGH35RVX, for fresh air.

I am making the attenuators and taking care of heat recovery and other ducting myself. Currently the room shells are formed but there is full access to the voids where everything is mounted so it should be fairly simple to do.

I don't really want to board the rooms until this is done as it will be more difficult.
This is the only thing holding me up at the moment!

Happy New Year to all!
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:48 am

The project is taking a lot longer than planned, but it is probably fortunate.

My current studio is partly to blame for the delays, keeping me busy. However this room is not isolated, not properly treated and not ideal for the longer term.

So before I get any busier, I need to put a few projects on hold and finish the main studio.

I almost finished framing the studio last year. As I was putting up the walls of the control room and iso booth I realised the control room was too small for my needs and current setup. Originally my desire to have a booth meant a compromise in the size of the control room. As I have been getting along fine without a booth, I have changed my mind. The booth is going! To get around that I will use tie lines to another area for speaker cabs where necessary.

So for the last few weeks I have been discussing new ideas for the host space with the designer who is preparing a new design this week.

I will post the plans (with permission) as soon as I get them.
Cheers,
Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:49 pm

So here is the draft plan. We have a few minor details to iron out in respect of windows, but otherwise this is what has been agreed on. I have permission to post.
Next week I start cutting out the doorway in the concrete shell. This is going to be a serious headache!
Regards to all,

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Tonyes335 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:19 pm

This is the outside of the building and the back of the control room. The new doorway is going to be in the corner where the blue rake and RSJ are leaning. First job is adjust the gutter and down pipe, then strip the cladding.

This is the inside view of the rear wall of the control room. The tracking room is to the right. You can see where the lobby will be, where the broom is on the right. The exterior door will be cut here.

Tonyes335
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:38 pm

Fingers crossed it all goes smoothly for you!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

PreviousNext