You are here

Roland: Perishing Glue on Key Weights.

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Roland: Perishing Glue on Key Weights.

Postby b3bro » Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:00 am

BillB wrote:On preset instruments, the sounds are usually stored in non-volatile ROM (read only memory) as they do not need to be altered, as compared to say, changing the filter cutoff on a synth (and storing it as a patch setting). So there should be nothing to lose.

Sometimes battery changes can scramble equipment settings, but there is usually a factory reset button combination, that brings everything back to factory state. Googling “roland e9 factory reset” just brought up a few pages all saying the same thing, so make a note of the procedure and you should be fine - if you need it.

Awesome. Thank you so much! For future use by others. The factory reset for a EP-9 is: "while holding REC and PLAY, press CHOIR. Power off, then power back on".
b3bro
New here

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:23 am

b3bro wrote:The factory reset for a EP-9 is: "while holding REC and PLAY, press CHOIR. Power off, then power back on".

Should be possible.
When seeing if I could bring a dead lighting desk back to life, I found the key combination required for a full reset involved a flash button on the left, another in the middle, and a third on the right, while also reaching the power switch on the back. The thing was about 4' wide, so I must have looked pretty silly as I attempted to hold two buttons with a pair of drum sticks, and the third with my nose, while groping round the back with my other hand :headbang:
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:30 pm

MarkPAman wrote:When seeing if I could bring a dead lighting desk back to life, I found the key combination required for a full reset involved a flash button on the left, another in the middle, and a third on the right, while also reaching the power switch on the back. The thing was about 4' wide, so I must have looked pretty silly as I attempted to hold two buttons with a pair of drum sticks, and the third with my nose, while groping round the back with my other hand :headbang:

It is impossible to look silly doing that. If there is anyone there to see you doing it, there is someone to 'recruit' to hold two of the buttons down for you. :thumbup:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby BillB » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:59 pm

Douglas Adams said (and this is from memory):
The mistake often made when designing something to be completely foolproof, is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

These were just the lengths the manufacturer went to, to make sure you didn't accidentally carry out a full reset...
:bouncy:
BillB
Regular

Postby MarkPAman » Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:40 pm

zenguitar wrote:It is impossible to look silly doing that. If there is anyone there to see you doing it, there is someone to 'recruit' to hold two of the buttons down for you. :thumbup:
Indeed, and that is the reason why there are no witnesses - honest!
In the end, I gave up and got the chap from the unit next door to give me a hand; well two hands actually. Didn't fix the desk though :thumbdown:
MarkPAman
Frequent Poster

Postby HippoSkinScoop » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:14 am

My uncle gave me an EP 7, with a case. It worked fine when I first tried it out, then I put it in the case for a while (I’m not a keys player, just like to poke around occasionally.) I set it up again and one of the keys stopped working, I assumed one of my kids had jammed a penny in there or something. Gradually more keys started started sticking. So I stuck it back in the case again, until yesterday, I unscrewed the back and found the cause. It was great finding this thread , saved me a lot of trial and error.I disassembled all the keys and I ordered the NaOH which should be here tomorrow. I think getting the epoxy off the keys and weights sounds pretty straight forward, but the black keys dripped down into the rubber contact pad strip. I’m not sure what the best way to get it out of there is. It’s pretty thin rubber and it’s attached in a way that seemingly isn’t meant to be removed and replaced easily.
Thanks! I’ll let you know if I get it all back together again.
HippoSkinScoop

Postby BillB » Thu Sep 06, 2018 2:37 pm

Hi HippoSkinScoop and welcome to the forum :wave:

My JD-800, referred to in posts above, is now back together and happily working. You are right that it is relatively easy to get the red glue(p) out of the keys, but not easy to get it out of the contact strips, especially the little depressions in the rubber which you have shown in your photo. Furthermore the rubber strips do deteriorate and get a bit more brittle over time. They are held against the frame with a series of little rubber lugs that protrude through holes in the steel. My experience was that the old ones were difficult to push out (I used two fingers of one hand to push from the lug side and the other hand to simultaneously pull. It is very easy to damage them. And if you hit a problem (e.g. key contacts not fully cleaned) which you only find out when it is fully assembled, repeating the whole process is quite likely to be terminal. I ordered a set of contact strips from Syntaur in the U.S., who seem to have contact strips for the EP7, but you would need to check carefully.
https://syntaur.com/roland_ep.html

I was really worried that these new set of strips might get damaged when being pushed in, but the new rubber is much more pliable than the old, and I had no problem in the end - using a cut and smooth-sanded wooden cocktail stick to push the lugs through.

I found this video (JD-880) incredibly helpful due to the systematic, patient way the guy explained everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OWcU3UvF7c

Hope that helps, and good luck!
BillB
Regular

Postby HippoSkinScoop » Sun Sep 09, 2018 8:56 pm

I just rinsed off the keys and weights after soaking them in the NaOH. (Soaking them in some soapy water at the moment). I went to tackle the contact strips and was pleasantly surprised to find it was pretty easy to clean up. The epoxy doesn’t seem to adhere to the rubber like it does to metal and plastic. I just kinda squeezed one way and then the other to kinda deform the epoxy in the little “cups”, and then just pulled out the little “plugs”. No residue left behind!

I’m thinking now about reassembly and wondering how to reattach the plastic strips that hold the keys in place. I was thinking of using Goof Off to get the old glue off, and using double sided tape. Will that work? Is there a specific type of tape that I should use for that?
HippoSkinScoop

Postby Gianni Veloce » Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi Guys
I am on the same boat as well!!!.
After 8 years having my old D70 stored in a case I checked it and red glue has dominated the whole keyboard!
Almost all the weights of the white keys are laying around and almost all of the weigths of the black keys are still in completely or partly/hanging out.
I am preparing for NaOH solution for cleaning the keys.
But how I clean the red glue residue from the circuit board next to the rubber contacts?
Is NaOH solution allowed there?

TIA
GV
Gianni Veloce

Previous