You are here

I bought a shipping container

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

I bought a shipping container

Postby saltybrian » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:49 am

It's a 20'x8', already converted for use as an office. It's wood clad on the exterior. Interior is lined with 50mm kingspan, plasterboarded, and wired for heat, light and plenty sockets. There are double glazed plastic french doors located centrally on the long side.

I wonder what advice folks can offer to make this acoustically as good as possible for rehearsal and a bit of recording?

Thanks
saltybrian
Regular

Re: I bought a shipping container

Postby Scramble » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:51 am

A shipping container is useful for when the wife throws you out because you spend too much time on music.

What's the situation with your neighbours?
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby shufflebeat » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:05 am

I seem to remember there was a telly programme about something very similar last year. No time to explore right now but the title was something like Creating Spaces, if memory serves.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dancing Queen - feel the heat from the tangerine, ooh yeah!"

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Ramirez » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 am

THIS THREAD might be of interest (although I had two containers!)

Aled
Ramirez
Frequent Poster
www.stiwdiosain.cymru

Postby porthoss78 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:56 am

Hi,

In case it's not mentioned in the other thread, there is a company that makes studios in shipping containers, so it must be possible to get a good usable space in one:

http://spacecrate.co.uk/

https://www.facebook.com/SpaceCrate-602303996597893/

Guy from AKA Design is involved in them, they look pretty nice to me...

Thanks
J
porthoss78
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:59 pm

saltybrian wrote:I wonder what advice folks can offer to make this acoustically as good as possible for rehearsal and a bit of recording?

As others have already tentatively suggested by their replies, acoustics and sound proofing are two very different topics, requiring very different approaches.

To reply to your query literally, we need to address acoustic treatment, as this is what determines the 'sound' of an environment. However, as a rehearsal room, the ugly reality of neighbours complaining about excessive noise rears its ugly head, and if you don't get things right with sound proofing (a rather more expensive business than acoustic treatment, requiring plenty of added mass) from the outset you could have resentment from day one.

What instruments are you proposing to record, and how loud will they be?

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby saltybrian » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:06 pm

Scramble wrote:A shipping container is useful for when the wife throws you out because you spend too much time on music.

That's it in a nutshell. Apparently she wants a 'living room' in the house!

Me and my musical pals aren't a loud bunch - acoustic guitars, fiddles, mandolins for the main part. I imagine drums would be recorded elsewhere. Still, any quick tips on soundproofing appreciated.

My main concern though, is with acoustics, so that's really what I was asking about.

Thanks for links so far, and any further help/suggestions most welcome.
saltybrian
Regular

Postby saltybrian » Fri Jun 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Various other projects have taken up my time these past few months and the container is still sitting empty in the garden.

To elaborate on my original questions:

I want a nice sounding live room for guitars/fiddles/vocals/mandolins. Nothing too low. I'll also be doing some mixing, so I guess low end could come into it there.

At the moment it's very boxy, Internal H/W dimensions are almost square (7'3"x7'2" length is 18'3"). I have some GIK panels (2x242, 2x244). I'm wondering whether I just buy a bunch more of these?

I've realised that next door's heating unit causes a low rumble that is exaggerated inside the container - could I decouple the container from its (concrete) found? I have bottle jacks that would lift it, but what would I use to put in between?

Blasting a few tracks inside and standing outside, leakage outside is not massive but I'd like to improve it too. It's worst around the french doors so I can address that by plugging gaps round the frame, but more generally what can I do? I could remove the outer cladding and deal with soundproofing on the outside as another option.

Would it be more productive to strip back the existing lining and start from scratch with acoustics AND soundproofing in mind?

Thanks for any suggestions
saltybrian
Regular

Postby Guest271017 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Due to a recent fire experience, I've had recent exposure to a container, rented to store the salvaged items from the house. Got to be one of the least acoustic-friendly spaces on the planet.

Paul Woodlock used a solid foam insulation, thick and strong to decouple a floating concrete slab in his garage studio build. Don't recall the particulars, but his diary must be online somewhere.

The container I saw had steel walls and ceiling with parquay? wooden floors. The room for build out was limited by the dimensions of the space, so were I you, I'd remove what's there and start from scratch. Doing it right the first time rings especially true with a studio, imagine the effort and cost of the redo if issues arise.

Regardless of how you build the walls and ceiling, you're going to end up putting acoustic foam wall to wall, I'd think. I was yelling inside of it laughing at the 'verb and echo I was creating. I rang the whole thing with my voice alone.

Having said all that, I think it'd be worth the effort. A solid steel building, impervious to the ocean voyage assaults can only be a good thing, especially for the initial price.
Guest271017
Frequent Poster

Postby saltybrian » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 pm

Thanks.

I had a look at Paul Woodlock's build and he did indeed float his floor, but I'm going to be dealing with a lot more weight. What I'm looking to do, first of all, is to decouple the actual container from the two concrete block strips it's sitting on. Any ideas what I could use for that - would rubber do a turn or is there a better alternative?

Re build on what I have vs. starting over, the interior is lined with 50mm Kingspan and plasterboard at present. It's not right against the outer wall, as there's 4 inches unaccounted for from the width, though I guess the studs could be thicker and all the way on to the metal.

What would I do that was much different as a starting point if I was to rip it all out?

Really not too sure where to start.

Thanks for any help
saltybrian
Regular

Postby scw » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Where did you get the converted container? Sounds like a great project!
scw
Regular

Postby James Perrett » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:57 pm

You can buy various products made from old tyres that might help with ground borne vibration.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:20 am

I know this is an old post but I just want to ask where did you get those empty containers

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:49 am

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby OneWorld » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:42 pm

Ahoy there, all you need now is a ship, what you going to record - sea shanties?
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)