You are here

Old Studio rebuild

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Studio rebuild

Postby blinddrew » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:19 pm

A genuine "floating floor" :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:24 pm

:clap: Quite possibly though I'm hoping it won't actually come to that. Anyway Dave Gilmour has already cornered that part of the studio market.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Back from 5 weeks down at the coast, lots of sailing, some gigs and the odd Gypsy Jazz session and I'm ready to restart the studio project.

I will be rewiring the mains supplies, presently a double run of cable to a double pole isolation switch outside the door and a ring from that around the room (plus one permanently live socket for dehumidifiers etc). Would I be better running a single run daisy chaining the 12 sockets ranged around the room or complete the ring? All wiring will be at waist level through a trunking system.

If I choose to break the ring would it be better to break it at on end or in the middle (i.e. with two single runs each servicing two walls)?

I do realise the wiring does not quite conform to current regs.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Ring
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:33 pm

Thanks Hugh.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:10 pm

This is starting to move again, after the holiday and a frantic car fixing session (which involved tidying the garage as a precursor).

I've nearly finished the tanking/studding ready to bung up the plasterboard. I have another question regarding ventilation/airconditioning. I have a 4" vent, previously used for the portable zircon unit but is does allow a fair amount of sound out of the room when we're rehearsing with a live drummer. I have a space in the alcove 5' x 2' x 8" into which I'm thinking of building a labyrinth to reduce the escaping sound. The idea is to build a box with baffles and a 4" pipe running up and down with rockwool packed into the voids, I reckon I can get around 16 feet (4 x 4' runs) of pipe into that space. Is this going to be worth the effort and can anybody point me at a web resource to help?

If I install a fixed aircon unit with the main unit outside I guess I will still need some ventilation between the studio and the outside world so we can all breath?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:32 am

A decently baffled box lined with sound absorbing material should do it. Mineral wool or glass fibre with a cloth covering. Or it might be easier to simply buy an off-the-shelf silencer.

I'd avoid running long lengths of ducting as it's just going to give you increased friction without doing much for sound reduction. If you just snake the ductwork so that one part is near or touching the other part, the sound simply transfers across unless there's a decent gap with absorbent material in between.

If it's flexible (concertina style) ductwork that you are using, then that is really bad for pressure loss and reducing airflow. The more of that you use, then the less ventilation you'll get. It's the absorbing material in the silencer that attenuates the sound; the ductwork length does very little, so no point in maximising it. And once you get to using a silencer, you probably need to install a fan to increase the ventilation.

Ideally you'd locate the silencer and the fan outside of the basement.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:19 pm

I've just read Tony's post regarding his air attenuators. I had planned to build something similar but line it with ducting as I want to vent a portable air conditioner through it and the exhaust from the air-con is both warm and pretty moist so I think I need to isolate it from the sound deadening part of the attenuator?

It's a small room but building the attenuator outside probably won't get past marital building control so I just have to go with what I can manage inside. The air-con/fan can be switched off when recording is under way, and would not be a problem when rehearsing a full band. I do need to reduce sound escaping during louder sessions though.

I am considering a more sophisticated air-con unit with an external heat exchanger but that also needs 'building control' approval (from my wife) but would simplify the design of the air attenuator.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Mon Sep 18, 2017 10:03 pm

Sam, you want both a ventilation duct and an exhaust for the A/C unit? Can you sketch out your thoughts so that we can fully understand what you want to do?

It is very likely (as with all A/C equipment) that the fan on the unit is only really capable of passing sufficient air through the length flexible duct supplied, and any extra length of ductwork (unless a lot of the flexible duct was replaced with smooth rigid duct) will result in a large increase in system resistance and the air volume will reduce significantly, leading to reduced cooling of the condenser and the A/C unit tripping out on overpressure.

It might be possible to make a through-wall hole which could be linked to the exhaust duct when needed, and when not, the duct disconnected and the hole sealed, bit that seems a lot of work to do each time.

Your current unit just isn't really designed to be used where soundproofing is an issue, and a split unit would be by far the best solution.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:22 am

A split AC unit would indeed be the best solution if I can get the idea of having the heat exchanger on an outside wall past the 'domestic aesthetics committee' then a simple attenuated vent would be sufficient. I will try to draw a sketch of the layout and post a link later, busy couple of days so i might be weekend before I can get to that bit.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:29 am

Progress is being made. The studding and plasterboard is finished part from a little detail around the door frame and boxing in some pipework. I have decided not to build the attenuated vent in the alcove now and that will be all bass trapping. The output from the portable aircon will be in rigid 5" plastic pipe and boxed in in the corner to the left of the alcove. Hopefully this will reduce the sound escaping the room to an acceptable level.

panoramic pic of the room here https://www.dropbox.com/s/35r20qwd51qv3bi/IMG_1483.JPG?dl=0
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:11 pm

How big is the room Sam? Hard to tell from the photo.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:45 pm

The pic is very distorted, iPhone pano image. The room is approx 3.8m square with the door in a corner, which encroaches int the room. link to Rough plan below (not to scale)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xo8a2c0i76jpmb0/Studio%20Plan.pdf?dl=0
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:53 pm

Sounds quite a lot but it's probably quite cosy once you've got the drumkit in there I guess.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:50 am

Yes it is possible to record/rehearse my 5 piece band in there, it's cosy but perfectly doable (aircon is pretty much essential for comfort).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext