You are here

Old Studio rebuild

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Re: Old Studio rebuild

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:56 pm

Good work that man :clap: :clap: :clap:
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:40 pm

Thank you kind sir :)
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby blinddrew » Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:48 pm

Of course, i have no idea what it actually sounds like in there... ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:35 pm

Crap right now :D but, hopefully, when I get the acoustic panels and bass trapping installed it will sound adequate for my needs (no illusions, it's never going to be "Abbey Rd"). Will report back in a couple of weeks
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ore_terra » Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:01 pm

Good job man :clap:
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Wonks » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:36 pm

Sam Spoons wrote: it's never going to be "Abbey Rd"
You could always ask the council to rename your street. ;)
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:21 pm

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:41 pm

Hung the first three panels tonight, left and right mirror points and back wall. Sat down to listen and realised I'd inverted the monitors last night 'cos the tweeters were at standing head height which put them below the bottom of the acoustic panels :headbang: Plus, without a cloud (to follow....) there is still a bad flutter echo between the floor and ceiling.

I solved the tweeter hight by leaving the monitors inverted but turning the main driver panel right way up. The kefkit version has the tweeter and bass/mid unit on a pre made panel with the crossover (annoyingly asymmetrical and not handed) and the 'auxiliary bass radiator' is left to the DIYer to make a separate panel for, this places the tweeter nicely at seated head hight (if I raise my chair a little, they were very low before with the cabs inverted). If I decide to keep the Kefs (looking more and more likely TBH) I may rebuild the cabs, keeping the same volume but configuring them with the tweeter and the Bass/mid driver on the C/L of the baffle. Also considering if I could put the ABR on the side (making the cab deeper to maintain internal volume) without buggering up the phase relationship. As it doesn't have a voice coil I can't stick it on the back and invert the polarity :headbang:

I think I'll still move the hangers on the panels to lower them a couple of inches as well.

Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:36 pm

Well, all the heavy lifting is finished :bouncy: The acoustic treatment is in and the gear in place. Just got to wire the rack and I've delayed installing XLR and headphone tie lines for the moment. Very pleased with how it sounds (and looks) so time to play and record some music for a while.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jnjnecivuelkuxm/GOPR0005.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/or98n1wb6ftp7uv/GOPR0006.JPG?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hgffkkq167y4v88/GOPR0007.JPG?dl=0

All the blue panels are acoustic treatment, the ones on the walls are 1200 x 600 x 50mm RW3 spaced 50mm off the walls. The ceiling panels are similar but the main ones are only spaced off 25mm to gain a little headroom. The ones over the back of the room are 900 x 600 mm and fixed flat to the ceiling at the back of the 50mm step. One is, obviously, over the kit, I plan to seer up a vocal recording space under the other (probably with added 'duvet'). The corner traps are super chunks, 500mm wide x 300 mm deep and virtually floor to ceiling and I may add another behind the drum kit. Finally the panel behind the speakers is 1580 x 1000 mm and approx 250 mm deep (made of 100 mm thick panels cut into 200mm slabs, stacked with a 50mm air gap behind). All are covered in Cara fabric which was very easy to work with and, like Music Wolf, even my relatively ham fisted efforts look very presentable. Thanks for all the help and advice. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby Music Wolf » Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Looking very good there. I particularly like the blue (I thought about blue but ended up going for boring natural).
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 pm

I wanted a blue carpet too (I am, at heart, a blues guitarist after all ;) ) but buying the boring grey saved me £40........ After the decision on the grey carpet (which I do actually regret) I nearly went for red fabric for the traps, thankfully my drummer and bass player discouraged me..........
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:21 am

That'll do nicely!
:)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Tonyes335 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:52 pm

Congrats! Looks like a great space to create. Enjoy,
Cheers, T
Tonyes335
Regular
This diary also on Facebook page @summerlystudios

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:29 pm

Thanks Tony, it's not as sophisticated as your efforts but should do me nicely (and was probably a couple of noughts cheaper too). I'm following your build (as I should, it was the inspiration for this ramble and my effort to make the best of the space I have) and looking forward to seeing the finished product. And, BTW, may copy your attenuator design if I find I need more ventilation (presently accomplished by opening the door). :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:And, BTW, may copy your attenuator design if I find I need more ventilation (presently accomplished by opening the door). :thumbup:
Hark at you with your fancy modern ways. ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

PreviousNext