You are here

Roland A90 repair

Customising, building or repairing your own gear? Need help with acoustic treatment or soundproofing? Ask away…

Roland A90 repair

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:46 pm

My old Roland A90 has died, it started by occasionally switching itself off so I left it unpowered in a corner as the studio rebuild was forced on my shortly afterwards. On Friday I dismantled it and replaced the CMos battery and initially it started boot up and then froze (3 or 4 times) then failed to boot at all.

All is clean inside, no dust or signs of corrosion (it looks like new) and I was going to clean and Deoxit all the ribbon connectors but have not yet done so.

Anybody experienced similar and sorted it?

Alternatively are there any techs around Manchester who would attempt a fix?
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Re: Roland A90 repair

Postby zenguitar » Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:14 am

Roland UK support have a great track record, even for out of warranty gear. Your first port of call should be their web page...

https://www.roland.com/uk/support/

They even provide phone numbers, and my experience is that they have always been really helpful.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Thanks Andy, I've emailed them and got a reply with an approved tech just the other side of Manchester. Will contact him tomorrow. :thumbup:
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:43 pm

You know, it so often surprises me that folk don't contact the original manufacturers for advice on servicing, repair, and spare parts.

So many of them DO offer help and advice, and are by far the easiest source of spare parts if any are available :headbang:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:57 pm

You're not wrong Martin, and the reason was......... I googled the question and found a post which said Roland has washed their hands of a repair request on the A90 as it's obsolete :headbang:

I probably would have asked them eventually but, thankfully, Zen made his suggestion and I sent the email sooner rather than later.....
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster

Postby mackbarrios » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:00 am

I have the same issue right now. My Roland just don't response. If you push any button it randomly lights another one. Can you tell me what did you do?
mackbarrios

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm

It was a power supply fault, I tried the local 'Roland approved' tech (who is actually a retired Roland tech but still covers a few jobs), he came, gave it a clean bill of health, and left with a (small) wad of cash. The A90 it continued to re-boot randomly so I took it to another local tech who did a proper job and sorted the wayward DC voltages out. It's been great ever since.

So you need a tech who knows what he is doing to check it over, Roland probably won't be interested as the A90 is 'obsolete' but thankfully there are still a decent number of guys/companies who can fix stuff. Funky Junk and Gee Electronics for starters in the UK or if you are in the NW 'The Guitar Amp Doctor' in Oldham, a keyboard player himself, who fixed mine (Thanks Tim).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster